Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

Grimspace (edition 2008)

by Ann Aguirre, Scott M. Fischer (Cover artist), Lesley Worrell (Cover designer), Kristin del Rosario (Interior Text Designer)

Member:infiniteletters
Title:Grimspace
Authors:Ann Aguirre
Other authors:Scott M. Fischer (Cover artist), Lesley Worrell (Cover designer), Kristin del Rosario (Interior Text Designer)
Info:New York : Ace Books. c2008. 18 cm. ; 312 p.
Collections:Wishlist, Series, Read but unowned
Tags:verify, wishlist, science fiction, space stations, spaceships, space travel, ftl, death, grief, love, relationships, ftl, genetics, mutants, friends, aliens, humor, series, duology, quest, from library

Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

Really like the H/H and the story had the right blend of sci-fi and normal touchstones to work well together. Only quibble I had was regarding Jax's character arc... I felt like the reader is told she is changing more than we actually see the change...Small issue with an overall enjoyable book. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
3 (and a half) stars, but it might grow on me even more (and I don't consider 3.5 stars a bad read at all). I'll certainly be picking up the next couple in the series, I can see this really becoming a favourite.
Full Review @ Booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
"Part of me aches, like this is my fault, like I'm the butterfly whose wings create hurricanes. I try to push it back. But It's hard to escape the feeling that my life has become a curse, a thread that ought to have been snipped at Matins IV, and that I'm only going to keep causing pain until I have the good sense to die. But even if that's the case, I'm just not selfless enough to fix it."

Although at first I thought the jumper-pilot set-up was similar to the film Pacific Rim with the Jaeger pilots, I was able to shake that off pretty quickly. This is excellent Space Opera and, for me, the best I've read in a long time. I was so caught up in the descriptions and events that I found myself thinking about the book often while I was doing other things. I will definitely be reading the next book! ( )
  VictoriaPL | Aug 15, 2016 |
Sirantha Jax is not technically regarded as a prisoner for the Corporation but might as well be. She's a jumper, able to navigate spaceships through Grimspace to reach their destination. Unfortunately her last mission ended disastrously as the ship she was responsible for crash landed on a planet killing over 80 people, many of whom were high level diplomats on their way to an important conference. Her pilot/lover was also amongst the dead as Jax herself was the only survivor but is unable to recall what exactly happened in the final moments before the crash. Ensconced in a psych ward and forced to endure the events she does remember over and over again through dream therapy, Jax is given an opportunity to escape when a mysterious stranger offers her a route out of her current predicament. Obviously he's going to want something in return but will it be more than Jax can pay? March is his name and he and his crew want to break the monopoly that the Corp has on interstellar travel and Jax is instrumental in that plan.

This is an extremely fast paced story, starting at breakneck speed and only increasing from then on with only a slight pause in the middle of the ride for the reader to catch their breath. The fact that there's no real hard science to get to grips with also makes this a very easy book to read. Character's are fine, starting out a little generic but there is some development as the story progresses. I think the romance develops really quickly but when two people are able to get inside each others heads then that can be readily explained. Despite the frenetic pace of the story the world-building is also quite strong. While there is some obvious info-dumping this is also handled quite well with Sirantha Jax being quite a naive person despite her extensive travels as a jumper but adapts to her new situation. While the ending is a little abrupt it's better than stretching out the story too much just for the sake of it. It's the first in a series and one which I'd happily spend more time with the characters that remain. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Jul 29, 2016 |
I did not see the ending coming. I like the detailed, expansive world Aguirre has built. I want to read more about many of the things that were mentioned in passing. I also like that there's a well-drawn lesbian character. I'm not sure how I feel about the relationship between Jax and March -- is it the gradual blossoming of something between two broken people pushed together by circumstance? or a forced and unnecessary romance subplot? I waffle on this by the minute. ( )
  lavaturtle | Feb 21, 2016 |
I give this book five stars, purely because it takes science fiction and does something that I haven't seen in a while: makes it interesting.

An easy read, Sirantha Jax is seemingly insane. Where true conspiracies exist, where she swears like a sailor and curses something dreadful, but it fits. Definitely not a children's book, but comparable to most of the urban fantasies i have read in the past.
added by Nyxix | editPersonal Review, Nyxix (Dec 27, 2010)

Ann Aguirreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fischer, Scott M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Andres. You're the reason I get up in the morning. And sometimes you're the reason I wind up lost in chicken country. Which is better than bat country. This one's for you, like everything I do.
Are you afraid of falling, baby?
No, I’m afraid of landing.

[He’s laughing, and I’m smiling.]
Stupid idiot smile, don’t you know what comes next?

By all accounts, Sirantha Jax should have burned out years ago…
As the carrier of a rare gene, Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace—a talent which cuts into her life expectancy, but makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. But then the ship she’s navigating crash-lands, and she’s accused of killing everyone on board. It’s hard for Jax to defend herself: she has no memory of the crash.

Now imprisoned and the subject of a ruthless interrogation, Jax is on the verge of madness. Then a mysterious man breaks into her cell, offering her freedom—for a price. March needs Jax to help his small band of rogue fighters break the Corp monopoly on interstellar travel—and establish a new breed of jumper.

Jax is only good at one thing—grimspace—and it will eventually kill her. So she may as well have some fun in the meantime…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015999, Mass Market Paperback)

As the carrier of a rare gene, Sirantha Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace-a talent which makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. Then a crash landing kills everyone on board, leaving Jax in a jail cell with no memory of the crash. But her fun's not over. A group of rogue fighters frees her...for a price: her help in overthrowing the established order.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:46 -0400)

Jax is a Jumper. She has the gene that allows her to take ships into Grimspace, speeding up travel. She wakes up a psych cell to discover everyone on her last ship has been killed and she's under suspicion. A man named March offers to break her out, but she'll have to help the group he's working with to change space travel.… (more)

52 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,636,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible