Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

Grimspace (edition 2008)

by Ann Aguirre, Scott M. Fischer (Cover artist), Kristin del Rosario (Interior Text Designer), Lesley Worrell (Cover designer)

Member:infiniteletters
Title:Grimspace
Authors:Ann Aguirre
Other authors:Scott M. Fischer (Cover artist), Kristin del Rosario (Interior Text Designer), Lesley Worrell (Cover designer)
Info:New York : Ace Books. c2008. 18 cm. ; 312 p.
Collections:Wishlist, Series, Read but unowned
Tags:verify, wishlist, science fiction, space stations, spaceships, space travel, ftl, death, grief, love, relationships, ftl, genetics, mutants, friends, aliens, humor, series, duology, quest, from library

Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

Recently added byPontiy, bookqueenshelby, SofiaHarper, SteamDave, Irena., selinalynn69, private library

**No spoilers or rehash.

I LOOOOVED THIS BOOK.

This book was full of fun, hilarity, action, & romance. From the first word, it was non-stop. I’m a huge Firefly fan and this brought me right back to that, but in no way is it a knockoff. This book is gritty and no holds barred. I’m a Lois McMaster Bujold fan and have been for some time, but it’s been a long while since I picked up a sci-fi book. Grimspace was a sort of coming home for me - a few chapters in and I was all “ahhhhh”. Like slipping into a warm bath – replete with assassins, bounty hunters, spaceships, aliens, and molecular displacers. FUN.

Sirantha is my kind of heroine. She reminds me of Kate Daniels and I so love Kate Daniels. Sirantha is similarly snarky in her comments and inner dialogue, but likeable. She’s cutthroat, but has a heart of gold – even though she doesn’t always think so. She’s definitely the type to act first and ask questions later, but she’s smart and savvy. She’s flawed and she makes her mistakes, but they’re believable, unlike so many other “flawed” heroines that authors try so lamely to write. Sirantha makes a few bad choices and while you want to shake her, you can simultaneously understand where she’s coming from. She realizes that she doesn’t really know herself and lucky for us, we get to join in on her quest to find herself. I’m loving and rooting for her.

Aside from a kickass heroine, there is a plot. An actual, real plot and it doesn’t suck. I found myself feeling anxious and on the edge of my seat throughout the book. While there are slower parts that allow you to take a breather from the action, there’s a lot going on and I found myself dying to get back to reading after every break. Great book and I’m super-excited to see where all of this is heading.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Meet Jax: one of a very few people with the genetically carried ability to navigate ships through Grimspace, thus permitting rapid interstellar travel. Jax does her job for the Corp, a large, imperialist, corporate/governmental entity. Unfortunately for Jax, leading jumps through Grimspace takes a toll on its practitioners, and eventually ends in burnout, a final, fatal oblivion.
We meet Jax at a moment of crisis: somehow, the ship she was navigating has crashed. Lives were lost. And she can't remember what happened.
This is already an interesting setup, and it all happens before page one.
As a doctor from the Corp forces Jax to relive the disastrous incident over and over, and as she sinks ever deeper into self-recrimination, an unexpected visitor offers her the chance to make a run for it, away from the Corp, and toward a truth she never expected.
Ann Aguirre tells this story with a clipped, almost brutal narrative style that is very compelling. The interaction between pilot and navigator as they move through Grimspace is positively erotic. Everyone has their secrets -- and you won't be able to put the book down, because a new revelation is always around the corner. Oh, and people die. Even good guys.
I was glad that I read Grimspace, and I was even happier to know that a sequel is coming in August '08.
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
bad fit of sci fi and romance. doesn't really work. ( )
  Kali.Lightfoot | Jan 10, 2014 |
Science Fiction and Romance seem on first sight to be pretty much incompatible genres: the first is based on supposedly “hard” science, based on facts and concerned with what is plausible, the second on supposedly “soft” emotions, based on feelings and concerned with reaching a Happily Ever After ending, no matter how unlikely. And, of course, the first is quintessentially male, the second quintessentially female. And if you think that latter statement is behind the times and that surely we’ve moved beyond that kind of moronic sexism, then think again. And check out some of the blatantly sexist stuff exploding all over the SFF fandom with depressing regularity, or just read up on Ann Aguirre’s own experiences as a female Science Fiction author.

Grimspace is Ann Aguirre’s first novel, and while SF and Romance occasionally can get in each other’s way (for reasons of conflicting genre conventions which have nothing whatsoever to do with genre), this is an example of them working together well. The emphasis lies clearly on the Science Fiction here - while Grimspace isn’t “hard” SF (I find myself unable to use that term other than in quotation marks) but more of the space operatic variety, it’s a solid story with solid world building that makes everything hang together nicely and appears sufficiently plausible (once you’ve swallowed the usual genre implausibilities like FTL drive, that is). As for the Romance elements, it’s actually not so much the relationship plot where those are felt most strongly but in the continued angsting of first person narrator Sirantha Jax over that relationship, her own character and her place in the greater scheme of things, and I can imagine that this is what most readers of “hard” Science Fiction will have most difficulties with, as they’re not likely to be used to this much self-exploration.

Which would be a pity, as Sirantha is a very interesting character that will go a long way through the rest of the series (and will never stop telling us about just how much she has changed). And she has sufficient reasons to be very angsty, because Ann Aguirre puts her through some really hard moral choices, and it’s one of the strength of this series that it never flinches away from those. This is indeed a very grim novel, not just for Romance but also for Space Opera and Ann Aguirre is definitely not someone to pull her punches. The moral dilemmas and the soul-searching however do not distract from the story, and Grimspace delivers a briskly moving tale with lots of action, to which the Romance elements add an unusual amount of emotional depth. I was not quite convinced by the ending, which seemed rather too naive in its (very USian) belief that everything will fix itself once it is turned into a scandal on the news. The progress of the series will put that ending somewhat into perspective, but later books continue to be plagued by a worldview that is rather too blatantly based on US-American values. But that’s really just a minor issue in what is overall a highly entertaining series.
  Larou | Jan 8, 2014 |
I give this book five stars, purely because it takes science fiction and does something that I haven't seen in a while: makes it interesting.

An easy read, Sirantha Jax is seemingly insane. Where true conspiracies exist, where she swears like a sailor and curses something dreadful, but it fits. Definitely not a children's book, but comparable to most of the urban fantasies i have read in the past.
added by Nyxix | editPersonal Review, Nyxix (Dec 27, 2010)

For Andres. You're the reason I get up in the morning. And sometimes you're the reason I wind up lost in chicken country. Which is better than bat country. This one's for you, like everything I do.
Are you afraid of falling, baby?
No, I’m afraid of landing.

[He’s laughing, and I’m smiling.]
Stupid idiot smile, don’t you know what comes next?

By all accounts, Sirantha Jax should have burned out years ago…
As the carrier of a rare gene, Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace—a talent which cuts into her life expectancy, but makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. But then the ship she’s navigating crash-lands, and she’s accused of killing everyone on board. It’s hard for Jax to defend herself: she has no memory of the crash.

Now imprisoned and the subject of a ruthless interrogation, Jax is on the verge of madness. Then a mysterious man breaks into her cell, offering her freedom—for a price. March needs Jax to help his small band of rogue fighters break the Corp monopoly on interstellar travel—and establish a new breed of jumper.

Jax is only good at one thing—grimspace—and it will eventually kill her. So she may as well have some fun in the meantime…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015999, Mass Market Paperback)

As the carrier of a rare gene, Sirantha Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace-a talent which makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. Then a crash landing kills everyone on board, leaving Jax in a jail cell with no memory of the crash. But her fun's not over. A group of rogue fighters frees her...for a price: her help in overthrowing the established order.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:10 -0400)

Jax is a Jumper. She has the gene that allows her to take ships into Grimspace, speeding up travel. She wakes up a psych cell to discover everyone on her last ship has been killed and she's under suspicion. A man named March offers to break her out, but she'll have to help the group he's working with to change space travel.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,739,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible