Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

Grimspace (edition 2008)

by Ann Aguirre, Scott M. Fischer (Cover artist), Lesley Worrell (Cover designer), Kristin del Rosario (Interior Text Designer)

Member:infiniteletters
Title:Grimspace
Authors:Ann Aguirre
Other authors:Scott M. Fischer (Cover artist), Lesley Worrell (Cover designer), Kristin del Rosario (Interior Text Designer)
Info:New York : Ace Books. c2008. 18 cm. ; 312 p.
Collections:Wishlist, Series, Read but unowned
Tags:verify, wishlist, science fiction, space stations, spaceships, space travel, ftl, death, grief, love, relationships, ftl, genetics, mutants, friends, aliens, humor, series, duology, quest, from library

Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

Turns out I don't much like big-strong-man-vulnerable-girl romantic fiction, even if it's in a spaceship. Who'd have thought? ( )
  moopet | Jul 25, 2015 |
WOW! What an awesome start to a series. It pulled me in and never let up. Jax is a heroine you want to hug and hit. Sometimes at the same time. This future world is different yet recognizable. I got a big flashback to Firefly while reading this. I can't wait for them to explore other worlds. Aguirre left so many nuggets along the way I have to keep reading! What's the deal with the L-gene? What about the other worlds they were supposed to visit? Will we see Keri again? Will the lizard people find out Jax and company stole their baby and want revenge?

The only thing I didn't enjoy was March. He's the standard broken alpha male hero and I really roll my eyes when they show up these days. Nothing wrong with him but nothing to make him memorable either.

After a series of bland reads I was really happy to end up in Grimspace. ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
I have a feeling Grimspace deserved more stars than I gave it but I don't read sci-fi, I watch it so this was a completely new experience for me.

It took me a while to grasp the jargon which reminded me of Star Trek and also the style of writing which dumps us inside Sirantha's mind, experiencing her every thought and emotion. At times this is completely disorientating, Sirantha's suffered an enormous amount of trauma, both physically and mentally but she handles it with extraordinary strength and macabre humour, only the occasional psychological breakdown hamper her progress as she deals with her past and present but she learns from each and every one.

In many cases, it's March that keeps Sirantha alive and kicking. His telepathy keeps him informed of her paranoid and suicidal thoughts so he can interrupt them but he can also provide hilarious commentary on her less fatalistic ones too. The relationship between them is a reluctant one but their need for each other is obvious.

In general, the crew reminded me of Joss Whedon's TV show Firefly and it's more popular incarnation, the movie Serenity with the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants good-natured space pirates. However the Reavers bore a resemblance to the Teras in the book, striking fear in the hearts of those they come in contact with...before eating them.

A lot of bad shit happens in this book and you can't blame Sirantha for thinking it's her, that she's "bad luck, bad ju-ju". She attracts trouble like it's going out of style. Many people die around her and as they fall a little piece of Sirantha dies too. It's a heavy load to carry and it's difficult to read without feeling depressed, the ending was the only thing that saved it from being a completely "hopeless" book.

A very dark and gritty read, which I'd recommend to those who think they're strong enough to handle it. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
**No spoilers or rehash.

I LOOOOVED THIS BOOK.

This book was full of fun, hilarity, action, & romance. From the first word, it was non-stop. I’m a huge Firefly fan and this brought me right back to that, but in no way is it a knockoff. This book is gritty and no holds barred. I’m a Lois McMaster Bujold fan and have been for some time, but it’s been a long while since I picked up a sci-fi book. Grimspace was a sort of coming home for me - a few chapters in and I was all “ahhhhh”. Like slipping into a warm bath – replete with assassins, bounty hunters, spaceships, aliens, and molecular displacers. FUN.

Sirantha is my kind of heroine. She reminds me of Kate Daniels and I so love Kate Daniels. Sirantha is similarly snarky in her comments and inner dialogue, but likeable. She’s cutthroat, but has a heart of gold – even though she doesn’t always think so. She’s definitely the type to act first and ask questions later, but she’s smart and savvy. She’s flawed and she makes her mistakes, but they’re believable, unlike so many other “flawed” heroines that authors try so lamely to write. Sirantha makes a few bad choices and while you want to shake her, you can simultaneously understand where she’s coming from. She realizes that she doesn’t really know herself and lucky for us, we get to join in on her quest to find herself. I’m loving and rooting for her.

Aside from a kickass heroine, there is a plot. An actual, real plot and it doesn’t suck. I found myself feeling anxious and on the edge of my seat throughout the book. While there are slower parts that allow you to take a breather from the action, there’s a lot going on and I found myself dying to get back to reading after every break. Great book and I’m super-excited to see where all of this is heading.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I give this book five stars, purely because it takes science fiction and does something that I haven't seen in a while: makes it interesting.

An easy read, Sirantha Jax is seemingly insane. Where true conspiracies exist, where she swears like a sailor and curses something dreadful, but it fits. Definitely not a children's book, but comparable to most of the urban fantasies i have read in the past.
added by Nyxix | editPersonal Review, Nyxix (Dec 27, 2010)

For Andres. You're the reason I get up in the morning. And sometimes you're the reason I wind up lost in chicken country. Which is better than bat country. This one's for you, like everything I do.
Are you afraid of falling, baby?
No, I’m afraid of landing.

[He’s laughing, and I’m smiling.]
Stupid idiot smile, don’t you know what comes next?

By all accounts, Sirantha Jax should have burned out years ago…
As the carrier of a rare gene, Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace—a talent which cuts into her life expectancy, but makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. But then the ship she’s navigating crash-lands, and she’s accused of killing everyone on board. It’s hard for Jax to defend herself: she has no memory of the crash.

Now imprisoned and the subject of a ruthless interrogation, Jax is on the verge of madness. Then a mysterious man breaks into her cell, offering her freedom—for a price. March needs Jax to help his small band of rogue fighters break the Corp monopoly on interstellar travel—and establish a new breed of jumper.

Jax is only good at one thing—grimspace—and it will eventually kill her. So she may as well have some fun in the meantime…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015999, Mass Market Paperback)

As the carrier of a rare gene, Sirantha Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace-a talent which makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. Then a crash landing kills everyone on board, leaving Jax in a jail cell with no memory of the crash. But her fun's not over. A group of rogue fighters frees her...for a price: her help in overthrowing the established order.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:46 -0400)

Jax is a Jumper. She has the gene that allows her to take ships into Grimspace, speeding up travel. She wakes up a psych cell to discover everyone on her last ship has been killed and she's under suspicion. A man named March offers to break her out, but she'll have to help the group he's working with to change space travel.… (more)

47 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,419,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible