Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy

Tea with the Black Dragon (edition 2001)

by R. A. MacAvoy

Collections:Read, no longer own
Rating:**
Tags:fiction, mystery

Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy

Recently added byJeanGoodrich, Maddz, diana.n, Echinopsis, JaanaG, private library, ahef1963, jadepearl, Minard, Quaisior

Entertaining and imaginative but superficial and direct. MacAvoy has an excellent writing style but the diminutive plot of this novel makes me wonder if this was one of her earlier novels. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed this book - it just never seemed to fulfill its potential. A beach read of the fantasy world. ( )
  konrad.katie | Apr 24, 2014 |
very different than I anticipated. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Martha Macnamara has come to San Francisco at the request of her daughter, only to be unable to find her daughter when she arrives. What she did find was Mayland Long, an enigmatic and intriguing man who seems fascinated by Martha. He insists on helping her find her daughter, but soon finds himself working alone at double stakes when Martha goes missing.
This was a quick and fun read, I enjoyed it, although it was clearly a debut novel. The character of Mayland Long was a terrific one, and one I would like to read more about. Martha had promise, but was missing for most of the novel. The villains and daughter felt like set decorations. I would hope that the author has found a set of proof-readers for her subsequent novels, because this one was full of grammatical errors, not to mention typos. My favorite was, "It was warm in the house and as he ran his hand through his head, releasing a spatter of drops,..." The character had come in from the rain, but the zombie implications of this sentence were intriguing. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 28, 2013 |
A lovely little book about a retired chinese dragon and an Irish fiddle player facing intrigue and skulduggery in San Francisco. Well crafted prose, interesting characters, and an elusive quality of comfort and strangeness mixed. ( )
  bunwat | Mar 30, 2013 |
A quiet fantasy. Set in the 1980s (remember this when they start discussing computers), it's a change of pace from many fantasy novels, with middle-aged protagonists and no overt magic. (Kudos to the author for daring to have a female protagonist with "grizzled hair"!) I recognize that the book is well-written, although it failed to grab me—the wrong book at the wrong time, basically. In having almost no magic in it, it felt less like a fantasy and more like a mystery, and I just haven't been in the mood for mysteries lately. ( )
  Silvernfire | Sep 19, 2012 |

R. A. MacAvoyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellison, PaulineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monk: "What is Tao?"
Ts'ao-shan: "A dragon singing in the dry wood."
Monk: "I wonder whether there is anyone who can hear this?"
Ts'ao-shan: "There is no one in the entire world who does not hear this."
Monk: "I do not know what kind of composition the dragon's song is."
Ts'ao-shan: "I also do not know; but all who hear it lose themselves."

The Transmission of the Lamp
To Ron
Martha Macnamara stood at the Pacific, her toes digging into the froth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553232053, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:12 -0400)

Cryptic phone calls and a mysterious disappearance draw Martha to San Francisco in search of her estranged daughter. With the help of a philosophical stranger, Martha embarks on a dangerous adventure.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,654,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible