A game of hide-and-seek by Elizabeth Taylor

A game of hide-and-seek (original 1951; edition 1951)

by Elizabeth Taylor

300None37,138 (3.99)1 / 110
Member:DieFledermaus
Title:A game of hide-and-seek
Authors:Elizabeth Taylor
Info:London : Virago, 1986.
Collections:Your library, Ebooks, Read but unowned
Tags:British, 20th Century, Literary Fiction, NYRB

A Game of Hide and Seek by Elizabeth Taylor (1951)

As seems to be the norm for Elizabeth Taylor's books, this one took me a while to get into it. In fact, at about page 35 I seriously considered returning it straight to the library. I decided, however, to be generous in my application of the Nancy Pearl rule, and I'm glad I did that. It turned out quite well in the end. Sure, it's a little bit quaint, in an early 20th century English sort of way, but I can take a certain amount of that. Taylor seems to me to be very good at drawing characters and relationships in a way that transcends the era in which the stories are set. ( )
  oldblack | Apr 17, 2014 |
Opening lines:
Sometimes in the long summer’s evenings, which are so marked a part of our youth, Harriet and Vesey played hide-and-seek with the younger children, running across the tufted meadows, their shoes yellow with the pollen of buttercups.

This is the love story between Harriet and Vesey, a love they captivated since their youth. However, their lives take a different course and Harriet married another man. But their love nevertheless persists even if this not brings a happy end to the story.

This is the first book of this author I've read and I'm planning to read more. The author has a vivid way of writing, portraying in a very sensible way the social paradigms of the beginning of 20th century. ( )

Lnatal | Mar 31, 2013 |
A Game of Hide and Seek showcases much of what makes Taylor a great novelist: piercing insight, a keen wit and a genuine sense of feeling for her characters. All this and not a chimp in sight.

This is a deliberately quiet novel and a very impressive one, too.

Elizabeth Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crain, CalebIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howard, Elizabeth JaneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sometimes in the long summer's evenings, which are so marked a part of our youth, Harriet and Vesey played hide-and-seek with the younger children, running across the tufted meadows, their shoes yellow with the pollen of buttercups.

"I see why you married him. It was sensible of you. It was the best thing you could do, after all. People do marry because they are frightened."
During these summer games of hide-and-seek Harriet falls in love with Vesey and his elusive, teasing ways. When he goes to Oxford, she cherishes his photograph and waits for the letter which doesn't come. Then Charles enters her life, a solid and reliable solicitor, and Harriet stifles her imaginings. With Charles and their daughter, she excels at respectability: its crimson-papered walls, remembered birthdays and jars of lilacs. But when Vesey reappears, her marriage seems to melt into nothing. Harriet is older, it is much too late, but she is still in love with him. First published in 1958, this is Elizabeth Taylor's subtlest and finest work.

Love stories. With a cover design by Celia Birtwell During summer games of hide-and-seek Harriet falls in love with Vesey and his elusive, teasing ways. When he goes to Oxford she cherishes his photograph and waits for the letter that never comes. Then Charles enters her life, and Harriet stifles her imaginings. With a husband and daughter, she excels at respectability: ornaments on the mantlepiece, remembered birthdays and jars of lilac. But when Vesey reappears, her marriage seems to melt away. Harriet is older, it is much too late, but she is still in love with him. First published in 1958, this is Elizabeth Taylor's subtlest and finest work.… (more)

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,488,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible