Baby No-Eyes (Talanoa) by Patricia Grace

Baby No-Eyes (Talanoa) (edition 1998)

by Patricia Grace

Member:jeniwren
Title:Baby No-Eyes (Talanoa)
Authors:Patricia Grace
Info:University of Hawaii Press (1998), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***
Tags:NZ Fiction, 2012

Baby No-Eyes by Patricia Grace

This was my choice for Indigenous Literature Week. A novel from a New Zealand author with multiple narrators. A young Maori boy, his mother, grandmother and uncle give their perspective detailing culture and history against the backdrop of a Maori sit-in to regain land that has been taken by council. Ever present is Baby No Eyes a ghost who remains at the centre of the story, tragically killed whilst still in the womb and is only visible to Tawera her younger brother. For the most part I found the story confusing and I don't particularly like magical realism and the supernatural elements that define this style of writing. I would also suggest a glossary would be useful to define the many obscure Maori words. ( )
  jeniwren | Jun 26, 2012 |
Hard book to get into. Quite overworked with truckloads of unnecessary things. Complicated and what-not. Although it's one redeeming point - it got me awesome marks :) ( )
  laurajamieson | Mar 1, 2010 |
Jolly hard work. I would have given up part way through but one of my students is reading it, so I read it to support her. There are so many stories, so many characters, so much mucking around with time. It's all too hard to even be interesting, unfortunately. ( )
  karynwhite | Jun 3, 2009 |

Patricia Grace's major new novel merges recent headlines with stories of a heartfelt family history. It is an account of the mysteries that operate at many levels between generations, where the present is the pivot, the center of the spiral, looking outward to the past and future that define it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:28 -0400)

Tawera and his sister are inseparable, in a relationship that is impossible for others to share. In fact his whole whanau is bonded by secrets, a genealogy stitched together by shame, joy, love and sometimes grief. Suggested level: senior secondary.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,474,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible