The Very First Americans by Cara Ashrose

The Very First Americans

by Cara Ashrose, Bryna Waldman (Illustrator)

The very first Americans by Cara Ashrose
The very first Americans is a book about the Native Americans called the Comanche. It tells about how they lived on the land. This book has beautiful amazing water color paintings which depict their clothing, art, tools and other Native American artifacts. This book is great for kids to read and understand on how Native Americans lived and hunted on the land before civilization took over.
Personal Reaction
This book is amazing to me, I am also Native American and love to learn how the other tribes lived as well. I love the watercolor paintings they are rich and beautiful. This is a great book to depict how the Comanche tribe lived and hunted the lands.
Classroom Extension
• I will ask my class to color and cut out buffalos that the Native Americans hunted. I will ask them to briefly describe how the buffalo was essential to the Native Americans and they used them for.
• I will ask my class to draw (illustrate) how they believe Native Americans live back than and tell why they drew what they drew.
  jessica_vickery | Nov 18, 2015 |
showing culture and history of america and how we first started. ages 3-5
  SarahNicole91 | Jun 8, 2015 |
a very informative book about the first Americans, It would be a great addition to any library to show culture and the rich history of america
ages 5-7
source amazon
  bethjones | Jun 6, 2015 |
The Very First Americans by Cara Ashrose is an informational book about Native Americans and how they lived. I enjoyed this picture book mainly for the intricate illustrations. The pen-like drawings help add detail to the complicated aspects of Native American culture. For instance on one page the pillars were carved into various animals and the use of pen really enhances the details of each animal. Also, on each page there is a strip of various objects that represent the Makah tribe, which helps the reader understand their culture. The language is also very simple and straightforward to appeal to a younger audience. It states “the Makah were very good whale hunters. They carved great canoes from the trunks of huge trees.” The audience can clearly understand how the Makah people lived through the transparent language. Overall, I think that this informational book helps the reader understand the history of America, as well as how different the Native American culture is to our own culture now. ( )
  ShakelaWilliams | May 9, 2015 |
This book begins with the first natives’ migration to America and how they got the name “Indians”. Then Cara Ashrose takes the reader from the Northwest Coast to the Woodlands describing several tribes that made their home there and why. There are several examples of each tribe’s customs, traditions, and history. By the end, the reader will have a list of information about several Native American tribes from all over the country.

Personal Experience:
Being Native American is a big reason I chose this book. I thought it would be good to read to my boys. I am also excited about adding this book to my repertoire. Native American history is especially important to Oklahoma education. When I read it to my boys, they were very interested and they enjoyed the illustrations. I also looked up several photographs of some still standing monuments/structures that were built by American Indians.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.) The first thing I thought of after reading this book was building a totem pole. If I end up teaching an art class, I could divide the class into groups. Each group will get to pick an animal. Then we would papier-mâché and paint the head. After they were all dry, we could stack them all and attach them for our own version of the Northwest Indian’s totem pole. This can also be done in a regular classroom on a much smaller scale with play-doe.
2.) The Hopi Indians built homes of clay into the mountains called Mesas. These homes were box shaped with few rectangle windows up very high and the doors where on the room. After reading this book, the class could make a Mesa out of a card board box.
3.) The plains Indians built tipis to live in. We could all make our won tipis with construction paper and sticks. After reading this book, I’d explain that The Plains Indians were native to Oklahoma and our surrounding areas. I would let the children decorate their tipis however they like. Then we would display them in our classrooms. ( )
  CamilleSchmidt | Apr 9, 2015 |

Cara Ashroseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Waldman, BrynaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Briefly describes some of the hundreds of Indian tribes that lived across America before the arrival of Europeans.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,872,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible