The compass of the soul

by Sean Russell

Series: River into Darkness (2)

In his quest to destroy all magic in the world, the last great mage. Lord Eldrich, has sent Erasmus Flattery to find and eradicate Anna, the leader of the Tellerites, a group of fanatics desperate to preserve the magic -- including the key to immortality -- Eldrich wants to eliminate. Torn by his resentment of Eldrich's manipulations and his strange loyalty to Anna, Erasmus will undergo a magical and spiritual journey which will cause him to question all he believes to be true...and rock the foundations of his world!… (more)

whew. This was SLOW! Just like McKillip has her own unique style, so does Russell it appears. It is definitely not for everyone and I am hesitant to read any more of his stuff. Basically, Eldrich [the mage] stops the last of the Tellerites [rogue mages who want the arts to continue] and uses tons of people to gain this end. A sad and melancholic story. Not nearly as enthralling as the Swan's War trilogy. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Not as good as the first book. Finished just because I wanted to complete the story but not as good as I remember it to have been. ( )
  briandarvell | Jun 26, 2011 |
Very nice duology/two-volume novel. At the beginning a fair amount of political intrigue, but it never turned into a mannerist fantasy.. much as I liked the courtly scenes. Or anything else, really. There was enough detail and background to make it real.And the characters reacted like people. I particularly liked the way that they weren't bloodthirsty. Most of them. Erasmus' group went to some lengths to avoid killing or seriously endangering the priest, even though they knew he was untrustworthy and dangerous. They contrasted well with the mage.And the ambiguity. Even at the end I wasn't sure who the bad guy was, or even if there was one. Too much fantasy needs to get away from the conflict of Good and Evil.The names occasionally bothered me. Flattery? Eldritch??
  krisiti | Jul 1, 2009 |

Sean Russellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Giusti,RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

A man may move either westward through life, following the light, or eastward toward the gathering darkness. It is a kind of orientation of temperament that is set in our earliest years; an emotional compass. One either pursues one's dreams or one's memories, and it is an exceptional man who, once his compass has been set, can alter it even a point or two. - HALDEN: ESSAYS
For Peter Stampfel for rescuing my first book from the slush pile, and Betsy Wollheim for patience and insight.
She was reborn from the earth, emerging from a dark womb of stone into the ancient light of a new morning.
Is he near to death? Could that be possible? Has it come stalking even the long-lived Eldrich?

The words from the Book of Farrelle came to her:

And the river into darkness shall carry you, away from this desperate world and the memories of men.
"A priest who is pure of heart...Live long enough and even one's most cherished prejudices are shattered," the mage said.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,795,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible