dismiss

The Serrano Connection by Elizabeth Moon

The Serrano Connection (edition 2007)

by Elizabeth Moon

Series: The Serrano Legacy (Omnibus 4-5)

1.  Elizabeth Moon is a New York Times best-selling author. 2.  This voulme combines the third and fourth in her popular Serrano/Suiza space adventure series. 3.  Advertising in Locus, Romantic Times, more 4.  Simultaneous hardcover and trade paperback editions 5.  Co-op available. Two Full-Length Novels of Space Adventure:   Once a Hero: Esmay Suiza wasn't a member of a great Navy family like the Serranos. She'd had to make her way on grit alone, which meant it wasn't likely she'd make admiral, but all she wanted was to be part of the Fleet. But then she ended up a raging space battle, and was the only one who could stop a superior office turned traitor. She had never wanted to be a hero, but fate had other ideas. . . .    Rules of Engagement: Brun Meager is a young woman from a rich and powerful family, which had a lot to do with why Esmay Suiza didn't get along with her, not to mention both having an amorous interest in Barin Serrano. When Brun was abducted by a repressive religious militia movement that makes the 21st century Taliban look like a bunch of Unitarians, Esmay was suspected of having connived in the capture to eliminate a rival. To clear herself, it looked like Esmay would have to locate and rescue Brun. Time to be a hero again. . . .… (more)
Member:cuffs
Title:The Serrano Connection
Authors:Elizabeth Moon
Info:Orbit (2007), Paperback, 832 pages
Tags:Science Fiction

The Serrano Connection by Elizabeth Moon

English (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (4)
Omnibus collection continuing the arc in Heris Serrano.

Once A Hero:

Some things about this I like a lot. The structure is great, particularly at the beginning - opening with the aftermath of a battle, slowly unfolding all its implications, and building our understanding of the hero as her role in it is scrutinized, was a great way to get me right on board. There's some great trope inversion, too - it appears for a moment if the hero is going to rush off to rescue her love interest, but she doesn't, and it's more realistic and actually more powerful. And there are the usual wealth of smart, snarky characters of both genders.

I don't love the central rape issue - I never do. And while it's handled well - I think the exploration of family denial is well-done and important - Moon doesn't really do "subtle" and I am so, so sick of that theme. And the last few chapters of the book are unadorned transcripts of the hero's therapy sessions plus her not-super-gradual healing. It's well over the line into "preachy". It doesn't ruin the book by any means, but it does make it sort of fizzle out.

Rules of Engagement:

I liked this a lot less, mostly because it's been done better (primarily in The Haindmaid's Tale which should make clear my problems.) The space politics parts are fine, the battles are excellent, and the climax is surprisingly great, but the build-up isn't good enough to balance the horror. The brightest spot is the nice old lady who everyone tells everything to, who unravels a couple of plots just by paying attention. She's sort of who I want to grow up to be. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
Loved it ( )
  DocWalt10 | Jun 21, 2010 |

Elizabeth Moonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, BenedictCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cotton, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,811,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible