The Rake by Mary Jo Putney

The Rake

by Mary Jo Putney

4532034,787 (3.98)10

Alys, has for the past four years worked as a Estate Manager for Strickland. Very few know that the estate manager is a woman. Alys has had to do everything to make a life for herself; and its been far from easy. When she overhears a conversation that her fiancee is only marrying her for her money, and to learn her father sides with him, she runs away and never returns. Now she has made a success at being a manger, and has improved Strickland more than any other manager has ever done. She has three wards, that are like her own children, knowing that she may never have any of her own, now that she has recently turned 30. Then she learns that she has a new boss, Reginald Davenport. Reggie has made a life of debauchery, drinking, gambling. He feels as if he is losing himself with all of the drinking but doesn't know how to stop. When his cousin, the Earl, gives him no choice but to take responsibility over Strickland, which is his families ancestral estate that was lost to him. With no allowance now from his cousin, he decides to go to the country, and settle in his new estate, where he meets his estate manager and much to his surprise is a woman. At first he is skeptical keeping a woman on for a man's job, but when he starts to see how much she has done for the estate, he keeps her on. A battle of wills forms between two people, where a explosion of passion erupts, a passion that could either save or destroy them.

The Rake is the second installment in the Davenport family. As far as I can tell there are only two connecting books in the series. For a while I have heard so many good things about this book and this author. This is my first time reading her, and after reading The Rake, I have no idea I waited so long to try this author out. The Rake was a stirring and emotionally driven story that was very intense at times. The story starts out slowly but definitely speeds up once Alys and Reggie begin to have a sizzling chemistry. The plot is full of a few twists and turns but nothing that totally shocks the reader. The theme of this story was unique and I enjoyed the way this author played out the story. The hero is a bit darker than I expected. Reggie is a alcoholic and you see how for some people alcohol makes people do things they would never do otherwise. I loved how Alys realizes Reggie's problem and doesn't just abandon him, but fights for him every step of the way. The story between them is tender and enduring.

Overall I would say this was one of my top favorite historical romances I have read in a while. Even though it took a while for me to get fully into the story, by the time I was about halfway through it, I was enthralled. This story is poignant and powerful, full of heart wrenching emotion that you will need quite a few tissues. A memorable love story that will steal your heart!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |
Good ol' angst and insecurity, I wouldn't read historical romances without it. I ADORED Alys, related a lot too, except for her background. As the book's dedication indicates, it's a bit preachy about the AA approach to alcoholism, but while Reggie's journey to sobriety does dominate the tale, there is enough of Alys' struggle with her sense of self to balance it and make me like it. (3.5 stars) ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Read this many years ago and I still think of it sometimes. Big influence. Quite a few romance writers would agree, I think. It was unique for its time. Mary Jo Putney is such a great writer. ( )
  NoelleGreene | Mar 18, 2015 |
  NoelleGreene | Mar 18, 2015 |
Not awful, but not worth the time it took to read. Characters were somewhat likable but sort of stupid, and their problems and behavior often beggared belief. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
To Bill,
my favorite friend of Bill W.
When two gentlemen are closely related by blood, they do not usually adress each other with formality.
The Rake (1998) (revised from The Rake and the Reformer (1989))

THE RAKE

It was predicted that Reginald Davenport, disinherited and disgraced, would come to a violent end. But fate has given him one final chance to redeem himself, by taking his place as the rightful master of Strickland, his lost ancestral estate. Davenport knows his way around women -- yet nothing prepares him for his shocking encounter with Lady Alys Weston.

THE REFORMER

Masquerading as a man in order to obtain a position as estate manager of Strickland, Alys fled a world filled with mistrust and betrayal. She finished with men -- yet how could she have predicted that Strickland's restored owner would awaken a passion more powerful than anything she had ever known? A passion that will doom or save them both... if only they can overcome their pasts and dare to believe in the wondrous power of love...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451406869, Mass Market Paperback)

Mary Jo Putney has delighted millions of loyal readers with tales of captivating romance and high adventure. Now, Signet is proud to present The Rake, her latest and most compelling novel to date!

Fate has given a disgraced rake one final chance to redeem himselfby taking his place as the rightful master of an ancestral estate. But nothing prepares him for his shocking encounter with a beautiful lady who has fled a world filled with betrayal. Now he will awaken in her a passion more powerful than anything she has ever known--a passion that can doom or save them both if they dare to believe.

* 2.5 million copies of Mary Jo Putney's books in print
* Fivetime nominee Mary Jo Putney won the 1995 RWA Award for Dancing on the Wind in the Best Long Historical Category
* Mary Jo Putney has also won four RWA Golden Leaf Awards for Best Historical Novel, and the Romantic Times Award, for Best Regency Author
* Mary Jo Putney is also the author of the national bestselling Topaz romances River of Fire, Shattered Rainbows, Angel Rogue, and Dancing on the Wind

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:55 -0400)

A man who tries to regain his heritage and to claim his place as master of an estate discovers that his estate manager is a woman, who promises him a future and a good life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible