Acorna : the unicorn girl by Anne McCaffrey

Acorna : the unicorn girl (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Anne McCaffrey, Margaret Ball

Series: Acorna (1)

Member:kayiscah
Title:Acorna : the unicorn girl
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Other authors:Margaret Ball
Info:New York : HarperPrism, c1997.
Rating:***

Acorna, the Unicorn Girl by Anne McCaffrey (1997)

this was much more YA than I remembered from when I read it in '97. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Three miners find a pod carrying an alien baby and decide to raise her. The girl has a horn growing out of her forehead that has special abilities to heal and purify. As the girl grows at a rate much faster than human children, the miners realize that others would like to take the girl, who they named Acorna, off their hands and exploit her powers. The three miners do everything they can to protect Acorna and give her a meaningful life, but even they can't shield her from all the injustice in the galaxy. This was a fun book with some interesting and enjoyable characters. I liked reading it, but I suspect it will not be one that I remember later. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
Recently I watched a review for “The Last Unicorn”, it was based on a book, however when I went looking for the book I couldn’t find it. I found this book however. Having read all of the “Dragonriders of Pern” series by Anne McCaffrey I decided to give this series a try.

This was an enjoyable book. It seemed to lack somewhat in characterization and plot. My memories of Dragonriders are a little fuzzy as it was several years ago I read them, but it seems they were much better written. These books boil down to good vs evil. The good being Acorna and her friends, the evil practically everyone else. I say practically everyone because not everyone is evil, but it seems that everyone who is not a friend of Acorna, if they are not evil, they end up becoming her friends.

The story starts with 3 space miners finding a floating escape pod and inside it is a little girl, human-like, but not human. Before they can back to their planet they take care of her, they become her ‘uncles’ and as such decide to keep her and raise her as their own. They discover she has some special abilities. Upon returning to their planet they find things have changed, this leads to the first encounter with ‘evil’ and they end up on the run and on a planet Kezdet, which uses child slave labor.

What follows is Acorna trying to free the children and acting impulsively, which disrupts the carefully laid plans already in place to save the children.

This could almost be considered a young adult book, but there is some violence and adult situations in it. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
Honestly, it's a fairly enjoyable read.

But there are a lot of weird things with it, mostly having to do with the characters. Hafiz goes from a villainous scumbag to a swashbuckling hero (well, sort of). And I love him as a good guy, but his turnaround is a little unexpected and hard to believe. Likewise, the various romances throughout the story seem very forced, obvious, and stereotypically expected.

The Piper is not as impressive as he should be. He just doesn't live up to his reputation, honestly.

And the whole plot... is just very hard to take seriously.

Of course, the heroine is an alien unicorn girl.

Who, unfortunately, isn't quite as awesome as I wish.

Nevertheless, I will keep reading the series. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Dec 9, 2014 |
A nice and uncomplicated SF novel. Typical Anne McCaffrey with a captivating story about the only unicorn girl among humans who helps fight child labor on the planet Kezdet. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 4, 2013 |

Hilling, SimoneTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scarborough, Elizabeth Annsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, DieterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue:

The space/time coordinate system they used has no relationship to Earth, our sun, the Milky Way, or any other point of reference we could use to find our way around, and in any coordinate system we use, they're so far off the edge of the chart that nobody has ever contemplated going there, even with the proton drive.
At first Gill assumed it was just another bit of spaced debris, winking as it turned around its own axis and sending bright flashes ofreflected light down where they were placing the cablearound AS-64-B1.3.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061057894, Mass Market Paperback)

"Something's Alive In There!"

She was just a little girl, with a tiny horn in the center of her forehead, funny-looking feet, beautiful silver hair, and several curious powers: the ability to purify air and water, make plants grow, and heal scars and broken bones. A trio of grizzled prospectors found her drifting in an escape pod amid the asteroids, adopted her, and took her to the bandit planet Kezdet, a place where no questions are asked and the girl might grow up free.

But Kezdet has its own dark secret. The prosperity of the planet is based on a hideous trade in child slave labor, administered by "The Piper" -- a mystery man with special plans for Acorna and her powers. But free little girls have a way of growing into freedom-loving young women, and Acorna has special plans all her own. . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

She was just a little girl. With a tiny horn in the center of her forehead, funny-looking feet, beautiful silver hair, and several curious powers: the ability to purify air and water, make plants grow, and heal scars and broken bones. A trio of grizzled prospectors found her drifting in an escape pod amid the asteroids, adopted her, and took her home to sizzling controversy. Officious bureaucrats wanted to put Acorna in a home and cut off her "deformity." Ambitious scientists wanted to isolate and study the "unicorn girl." Which was worse? Acorna's rough-and-ready "uncles" weren't about to hang around long enough to find out. They took their foundling back at knife point, airlocked out, and ran with her - all the way to the bandit planet Kezdet, where no questions are asked, and a girl might grow up free. But Kezdet has its own dark secret. The prosperity of the planet is based on an unseen horror - armies of pale, silent children toiling in the factories and mines; unnamed, unseen, and unloved. A hideous trade in child slave labor, administered by the mystery man known as "The Piper." The Piper has special plans for Acorna, whose shining horn promises wealth and power. But free little girls have a way of growing into freedom-loving young women. And Lukia, Lady of Light, is about to teach the Piper and his minions a much-needed lesson about honor, liberty - and the precious value of childhood.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible