The 33 Strategies of War (Joost Elffers…

The 33 Strategies of War (Joost Elffers Books) (2006)

by Robert Greene

The 33 Strategies of War is a comprehensive guide to the subtle social game of everyday life informed by the most ingenious and effective military principles in war. It's the I-Ching of conflict, the contemporary companion to sun Tzu's The Art of War, and is abundantly illustrated with examples from history, including the folly and genius of everyone from Napoleon to Margaret Thatcher, Hannibal to Ulysses S. Grant, from movie moguls to Samurai swordsmen.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, Marctz, Mrdog123, Wendy_Wang, kircheis, Thymemaster, kegi, Harmonious_Veils, chenjerai

Could have added another strategy to team warfare based on the battles of Xiang Yu vs Liu Bang. ( )
  Wendy_Wang | Sep 28, 2019 |
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
This is a facinating book on relating war to real life. Every chapter relates to my life in some way. ( )
  joelhalpin | Jun 14, 2008 |
(Alistair) As an amoral, power-hungry schemer, I greatly enjoyed Robert Greene's first book, The 48 Laws of Power, both as a codification of many of the principles of power-use, deceit and manipulation, and an interesting and thoroughly enjoyable read filled with historical example and anecdote to illustrate them. (In fact, I think I'll read that one again one day soon.) Delightfully Machiavellian.

I am pleased to report that in The 33 Strategies of War, Greene has done it again, moving from the tactical to the strategic scale; Sun-tzu more than Machiavelli, although these strategies apply equally to conflicts other than war - business, politics, and negotiation - and again beautifully illustrated with historical examples. Well worth reading - although, of course, if one isn't suited to this sort of thing, one probably shouldn't expect to become a powermonger overnight.

(While it's not a topic I hold much fascination for, perhaps I should read his The Art of Seduction, too, just to complete the entire Amoral Series? Probably.)
( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/cerebrate/2008/03/the-33-strategies-of-war-ro... ) ( )
  libraryofus | Mar 25, 2008 |
Another set of pithy laws and quotations, like those in the "The (48?) Secrets of Power". Don't just read this as a "How-To", read it to see other sides of people who were famous, such as Joan Crawford. While I'm not about to use these principles myself, I won't fall for them now either.
Oh, and as a teaser: after reading this book, there is a certain famous Artist that you will never be able to think of with anything but a feeling of being soiled for even being in the same room with his works. ( )
  AtrixWolfe | Dec 27, 2007 |
In the spring of 401 B.C., Xenophon, a thirty-year-old country gentleman who lived outside Athens, received an intriguing invitation: a friend was recruiting Greek soldiers to fight as mercenaries for Cyrus, brother of the Persian king Ataxerxes, and asked him to go along.
War, or any kind of conflict, is waged and won through strategy. (introduction for Part I)
We live in a culture that promotes democratic values of being fair to one and all, the importance of fitting into a group, and knowing how to cooperate with other people. (Preface)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,763,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible