This is all I ask by Lynn Kurland

This is all I ask (edition 2000)

by Lynn Kurland

Member:werlaxn
Title:This is all I ask
Authors:Lynn Kurland
Info:Berkley (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

This is all I ask by Lynn Kurland

As this is one of my favorite romance novels to read, a book that I have read and re read over and over, I thought it was time to do a review on this read. This Is All I Ask starts out with Gillian of Warewick, whose mother died when she was young, and her father tends to be very abusive to her both physically and emotionally. Gillian after losing her brother, who was the only one that loved her, she feels that she has no courage or beauty inside or out. When she is suppose to marry the Dragon of Blackmour, a man known for his deeds in battle, and rumored to have killed his previous wife, and deals in nefarious acts. Gillian, after being married to Christopher of Blackmour, Gillian is terrified of this man whom she knows regrets their marriage. After a deep misunderstanding these two lost souls find a way to overcome, what they view as deficiencies, but will become strengths as they find love and a reason to live and enjoy every moment together.

I love reading from this author, and as this is one of my favorites of this author I thought I would re read it and do a review on it. This is probably one of the most emotional romances that I have ever had the opportunity to read. Its both powerful yet sensitive, and will pull at your heart strings. Gillian is a young woman whose only known abuse and domination. She has never had freedom or to be able to think for herself. So when she first meets Christopher she knows that he is only marrying her out of a promise that he made to her brother. But as she sees that he struggles with a certain challenge of his own, that will be with him the rest of his life, she knows he suffers pain and loss as well, that he is in need of love as much as Gillian needs it and more. Kurland will take you on a roller-coaster of a journey will ups and down that might make you shed a tear, but will brighten up your day, I found This Is All I Ask to be a enriching read that you will never regret taking the chance on! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 20, 2019 |
Ah, yes, another guilty pleasure. Lots of insecurity and tears and angst. I love these stories! (Even if I can't stand the things they are teaching young girls) ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
First of all let me say I do not usually care for or read romance novels but this one was well worth it. Lynn Kurland's novel, This Is All I Ask, is one of those rare stories that will stay with me for years to come. It tells the poignant tale of an achingly lonely young woman and an emotionally ravaged warrior in thirteenth century England, two people whose heartbreaking lives are all the more touching because of their courage, vulnerability, and strength. It's been a long time since I've been as moved by two characters as I was by Gillian and Christopher. The setting is wild and majestic, a forbidding castle high above the sea near Scotland. The love scenes are tasteful and never resort to the purple prose that can so often ruin an otherwise good story. The touches of sweetly gentle humor further enhance the tale, another sign of Kurland's gifts as a storyteller. This is a book well worth the read, for romance and fantasy lovers alike. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
All her life the heroine has lived under the extremely abusive rule of her father. But when she comes to realizes he's sold her to the scourge of England she actually pleas with him to reconsider. The rumors regarding her future husband are dark and laced with claims of black magic and evil and she's absolutely petrified of what new hell she'll be walking into. When she arrives at the dark and depression keep and meets the man who's asked for her hand despite her physical ugliness and lack of wifely skills or dowry, she's horrified to realize that the man is just as awful as she imagined him to be. He flies into fits of rage, yelling at her or ignoring her completely. But slowly she comes to realize that though he's gruff and snarls at people like an animal, those around him show him great respect and love and in return her seems to love them just as deeply. Still, even beyond there's wedding night which is left unconsummated, the heroine is extremely timid and shy, violently scared of her new husband and waiting for the beatings she's sure she'll receive at his hand. The hero was once a proud and gifted warrior but now he's a blind man, living in exile in the castle-considering himself a shell of his former self. It was a vow to his friend now dead that he care for the man's sister upon his death and though he instantly regrets the decision to marry the chit, he does so with honor. But he's unprepared for a wife or t allow anyone into his heart again so his anger and distrust drive her away. It's when he seeks her out again after she's spends the night in the woods and is racked with fever when he finally sees the error of his ways. In her delusional state she confides in him her desire to please him, to know love and desperately seeking the feeling of safety. He is charmed by his innocent wife, touched by her childlike naivety and overwhelmed by her devotion to a man who's been nothing but unkind to her. From that moment on their relationship changes and the hero begins to show another side to him. He is playful, teasing in that gruff way of his but slowly he urges her into the safety of his arms. Vowing that she'll never know the pain and unhappiness she's experienced ever again. He demands she grow saucy, expecting a sharp tongued response to his teasing. She begins to feel safe for the first time in her life and even more importantly she finds love in the arms of a man who would do anything for her. But old wounds don't heal so well and the hero's lack of sight causes him to fall into a deep depression and when the heroine's abusive father returns for revenge, it's up to the heroine to summon the courage inside of her. I really liked this book but I felt as I was waiting for something. As it is with most historical romances, I longed for a deeper conflict than character insecurities. Don't get me wrong, I adored the hero and heroine's torment with their self consciousness and the story of self worth. I thought it was very melodramatic at most time, so much so that it did inspire an eye roll or two but at the end I was satisfied with the story. The heroine was a tad over the line dramatic and weepy and she took every opportunity to doubt the hero and his feelings for her but she was charming with her desire to better herself for him. Gaining her courage as she grows as a person, she won me over by the end. Lovey book with a dash of paranormal as the 3 witches in the woods do make a good impact on the characters growth. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
This is one of Lynn Kurland’s books that I’ve gone back and re-read a number of times throughout the years. Christopher of Blackmour has a fearsome reputation, yet only two people in his Keep even realize that he’s blind from an attack years ago. He’d promised his best friend that if anything happened to him that Christopher would take care of his sister Gillian who it turns out had been seriously abused and terrorized by her father.

Two people who have been seriously damaged learn to go beyond their comfort zones and perceived limitations in the love that develops through this union. Getting to that point is a very rocky road for both.

This book works great as a stand-alone and yet one of the things I like about it the best is the tie-in with characters that already had their own story, or who eventually get one. Case in point Robin de Piaget comes to visit with his two oldest sons. The youngest, Jason, is Christopher’s squire. Christopher had once been Robin’s squire. There are plenty of books out there from Robin’s line. And Colin of Berkamshire is the only person who lives in the Keep, besides Jason, who knows of Christopher’s blindness and does his best to keep others from realizing it. He too ends up with his own story.

I really like these characters as well as many of the secondary ones. The story is both (eventually) inspirational as well as amusing. ( )
  dearheart | Dec 2, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425180336, Mass Market Paperback)

This medieval historical romance doesn't offer any of the paranormal elements found in Lynn Kurland's first two books, Stardust of Yesterday, and Dance Through Time, yet Kurland's fans will not be disappointed by this sensitive and moving romance. Gillian of Warewick knows no other treatment than the terrible physical and mental abuse issued by her father. When he arranges a match for Gillian with Christopher of Blackmour, she is fearful: Blackmour is rumored to be an evil sorcerer. When Gillian meets him, he proves to be far more of a man than her father is, yet he is unwilling to be a lover to Gillian. She finds that Blackmour has as many psychological scars to heal as she has physical scars.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:47 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible