The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Dell (1977), Paperback
Collections:My Library
Tags:Mystery

Three Blind Mice and Other Stories by Agatha Christie (1952)

Recently added byprivate library, Emily.D, vivir, yrizaria, Glire, amyem58, anabernathy, stefanosf
20th century (11) Agatha Christie (42) British (21) British literature (9) Christie (10) classic (8) collection (7) crime (24) crime fiction (14) detective (14) detective fiction (8) drama (10) ebook (9) England (15) fiction (119) Hercule Poirot (26) Miss Marple (43) murder (7) mystery (264) Nederland (17) novel (10) own (8) paperback (8) pb (11) play (7) Poirot (20) read (13) short stories (62) to-read (8) USA (8)

English (7)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
Yeah, I finally got back Poriot and Miss Marple and the novelization of Moustrap. The short stories are never quite as enjoyable as the full length novels but good nonetheless.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
This is my second book of short stories for the Cool Down with AC read a long this summer. So far I am really liking the short stories and stand alone novels best. This book was one of my favorites in the reading challenge so far. This book includes the play, The Mouse Trap that has been transformed into the short story Three Blind Mice in this book. The Mouse Trap is the longest running play in England. The story uses one of Christie's most famous plot devices, strangers trapped in isolation with a killer as one by one people die. I could not figure out the killer for the life of me. I always get it wrong and Christie's cleverness amazes me every time. In addition to Three Blind mice there are several other short stories included.

Other stories include:

Strange Jest feature a cameo by Jane Helier last seen in The Tuesday Club Murders. In this story Miss Marple is recruited to help in a quest for treasure. The outcome of the treasure was just like in the Audrey Hepburn movie, Charade.

The Tape Measure Murder is also a Miss Marple story. In this story a woman is found murdered and naturally the husband is the obvious suspect. Of course nothing is ever as it seems in a Christie story.

The next Miss Marple story, The Case of the Perfect Maid uses a plot device seen in Tuesday Club Murders and the Clocks in which a person impersonates another in order to commit a crime.

The final Miss Marple entry, The Case of the Caretaker is shortened version of an idea that was developed into the full length novel, Endless Night which is my all time favorite Christie.

The Third Floor flat is a Hercule Poirot story in which he must solve the murder of a woman in her flat. It's an especially clever tale.

The Adventure of Johnny Waverly is also a Hercule Poirot mystery reminiscent of the Lindberg kidnapping though of course with a Christie twist. This story is rare in that there is a happy ending to the crime.

Four and Twenty Blackbirds is a Hercule Poirot short using the impersonation plot device earlier seen in the Marple story.

The final short story is The Love Detectives which has Mr. Satterthwaite who was seen in Three Act Tragedy. The story is very much like the full length novel Murder at the Vicarage, the first book to feature Miss Marple. This is a story where the people who committed the murder are the obvious suspects, the mystery lies in why they would confess to the crime.

For anyone who might be uninitiated with Agatha Christie novels as I was at the start of the summer should start with the short stories. I think they are like a sampler platter of Poirot and Marple guaranteed to whet the appetite for more of the Queen of Crime. ( )
  arielfl | Jul 22, 2011 |
I didn't realize that this was a re-read (way way back in high school when I swiped one of my grandmother's Agatha Christies off her shelf). This is collection of short stories featuring Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot and Harley Quinn (only one story though but I never much liked him). Again relived some of my favorites: The Third Floor Flat, The Adventure of Johnnie Waverly and Four and Twenty Blackbirds. ( )
  screamingbanshee | Oct 1, 2009 |
There are a couple of original plays in this collection, most notably 'The Mousetrap' - the longest running play in the West End, 'Witness for the Prosecution' and 'Verdict' as well as theatre adaptations of some novels, interesting as a read, but I find Christie's plays haven't stood the test of time as well as her novels. ( )
  riverwillow | Sep 6, 2008 |
June 11, 2001
The Mousetrap
Agatha Christie

I REALLY enjoyed this story. It’s very short. It’s actually an adaptation, I believe, from the original play – never even written as a story. I enjoyed it so much that it made me start seriously craving a trip to London, so I could see it in person. It’s the longest-running play in history, I believe. I was so entranced by the idea of seeing it in person that I even went on a website for it, looking up dates and everything, and wishing ferociously that I could scrape up both the money and the courage to take a vacation to England. I remember talking to Steve on AIM about it, just wishing.

Anyway, it’s one of my favorite scenarios, and one Christie is famous for: a bunch of strangers trapped together in an old house in the country, snowed in by a vicious blizzard. Somebody dies, and we have to figure out who did it. I don’t even remember now who did it.

This was in a book in Grandpa’s Christie collection, and it was called “The Mousetrap and Other Stories”. I don’t know if I read any of the other stories; if I did, they didn’t leave an impression. ( )
  victorianrose869 | Aug 8, 2008 |

Three Blind Mice
Three Blind Mice

See how they run
See how they run

They all ran after the farmer's wife
She cut off their tails with a carving knife
Did you ever see such a sight in your life
As three blind mice
It was very cold. (Three Blind Mice)
Originally published as The Mousetrap. Do not combine with the short story Three blind mice

CONTENTS:
Three blind mice
Miss Jane Marple
The Case of the caretaker
The Case of the perfect maid
Strange Jest
Mr. Quin & Mr. Satterthwaite
The Love Detectives

Wikipedia page
    ---------------------------------------

A building snowstorm was not an auspicious beginning, but Molly and Giles Davis were determined to make a go of tier new guest house.  How could they know that among their first guests at snowbound Monkswell Manor was a murderer - a fiend who had already killed one "blind mouse" and was now waiting to pounce on numbers 2 & 3.

"Three Blind Mice" is the basis for the famous play "The Mousetrap", which opened in London in 1952, and is not the longest-running play in the English language.
    -------------------------------------

It was very cold. THe sky was dark and heavy with unshed snow.
a man in a dark overcoat, with his muffler pulled up round his face, and his hat pulled down over his eyes, came along Culver St and went up the steps of number 74. He put his finger on the bell and heard it shrilling in the basement below.
Wheezing a little, Mrs. Casey toiled up the basement stairs and opened the door.
The man asked in a whisper "Mrs. Lyon?"
"Second Floor," said Mrs. Casey. "Go on up and knock."
When the man got round the bend of the staircase he began to whistle softly. The time he whistled was "Three Blind Mice." ....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425068064, Mass Market Paperback)

Nine short mysteries feature sleuths Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot, in a collection whose title story finds the guests of Monkswell Manor trapped inside by a snowstorm while a killer is on the loose. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:55 -0400)

Ablinding snowstorm--and a homicidal maniac--traps a small party of friends in an isolated estate. Out of this deceptively simple setup, Agatha Christie fashioned one of her most ingenious puzzlers, which in turn would provide the basis for The MousetrapNew York Times).… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible