Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic…

Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking

by Fuchsia Dunlop

Other authors: Tara Fisher (Photographer), Qu Lei Lei (Calligrapher)

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All (7)
These recipes are not the last word in cooking Sichuan dishes here in the USA... but they are a pretty good intro to such.

I love Dunlop's writing, and have read all her books. Occasionally, this helps inform the way I interpret her recipes.

My husband and I love Sichuan dishes, and are currently on a Quest to make our ultimate hot and sour soup. Dunlop's recipe is not our ultimate as written, but it does include several elements that the master recipe will need to incorporate!

Also, I am very intrigued by the steamed buns, and the salted duck eggs.

It is bridging a gap, and has both the virtues and the problems associated with that.

Nonetheless, just reading it makes me excited to try new things! ( )
  cissa | Mar 11, 2016 |
Surprise gift of Stefan's friend ( )
  bobandjohn | Jul 1, 2015 |
This is an awesome cookbook. I lived in Sichuan for about 5 months, and this enabled me to re-create, and in some cases improve on, many of my favorite foods from there. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
The recipes are easy to follow and well-explained. They aren't adjusted to the western taste at all and are truly authentic, which makes this book an exception. Everything from home cooking to banquets is covered. Advice is given on the more unusual ingredients.

Extensive extra sections cover cooking and cutting styles as well as cooking utensils and the proper composition of meals. This book is priceless for real Sichuan recipes. ( )
  surreality | Jun 18, 2007 |
One of the few books in English which really engages with the regional cuisine of China. ( )
  jontseng | Jan 4, 2007 |

Fuchsia Dunlopprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fisher, TaraPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lei Lei, QuCalligraphersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goodman, CaroleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I never raise my chopsticks without remembering my dear Sichuan.

--Lu You
For my mother, Carolyn

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393051773, Hardcover)

Elizabeth David had it easy. All she had to do was eat her way through France and Italy and translate the essence of the encountered cuisines for a ravenous, literate, English-speaking public. Fuschia Dunlop, on the other hand, went to Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan in China, where she ended up the first foreign student enrolled at the Sichuan Institute of Higher Cuisine. That was nearly 10 years ago. After annual return visits and endless research she has produced, in English, a magnificent introduction to the food and foodways of Sichuan. She is in every way the dharma inheritor of Elizabeth David.

You too may start to salivate halfway through the introduction to Dunlop's magnificent Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking. Perhaps it begins when she explains xian, "one of the most beautiful words in the Chinese culinary language." It describes an entire range of flavor and sensation, "the indefinable, delicious taste of fresh meat, poultry, and seafood, the scrumptious flavors of a pure chicken soup..." Before you know it you are running headlong into a world of 23 distinct flavors and 56 cooking methods (they are all listed at the end of the book). Sichuan is the place where "barbarian peppers" met up with a natural cornucopia and a literary cooking tradition stretching back to the fifth century A.D. Innovation with cooking technique and new and challenging ingredients remains a hallmark of Sichuan. After describing basic cutting skills and cooking techniques, Dunlop presents her recipes in chapters that include "Noodles, Dumplings, and Other Street Treats"; "Appetizers"; "Meat"; "Poultry"; "Fish"; "Vegetables and Bean Curd"; "Stocks and Soup"; "Sweet Dishes"; and "Hotpot." Yes, you will find Gong Bao (Kung Pao) Chicken with Peanuts--Gong Bao Ji Ding. It's named after a late 19th-century governor of Sichuan, Ding Baozhen, which brought on the wrath of the Cultural Revolution for its imperial associations. Until rehabilitation, the dish was called "fast-fried chicken cubes" or "chicken cubes with seared chilies."

Land of Plenty is literary food writing at its best, as well as a marvelous invitation to new skills and flavors for the home cook. Read it. Cook it. Eat it. And take pleasure in the emerging career of Fuschia Dunlop, a big new voice in the world of food. --Schuyler Ingle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:50 -0400)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,155,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible