To Catch an Heiress (Agents of the Crown…

To Catch an Heiress (Agents of the Crown Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Julia Quinn (Author)

Member:Lanti_Arlit
Title:To Catch an Heiress (Agents of the Crown Book 1)
Authors:Julia Quinn (Author)
Info:Avon (2009), 384 pages
Tags:Romance

To Catch an Heiress by Julia Quinn

To Catch an Heiress
3 Stars

The sparks of Quinn's future brilliance are evident in this cute and funny read. Nevertheless, it tends toward the farcical at times and the humor often feels forced.

Caroline's sarcastic wit and her banter with Blake are very entertaining at first. However, as their relationship progresses, their squabbling becomes tedious and it is unclear what they see in each other.

The espionage plot lacks substance - there is no tension or suspense and the villains seem like an afterthought.

All in all, not bad considering this is one of Quinn's earlier books but her writing definitely improves over time. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
3.5 stars

Not one of my favourites by Julia Quinn. It had good moments, but it started off really silly. It didn't have the wit I have grown to expect from this author, but by the middle it picked up and I was enjoying the characters. I will read the second in the series because she is one of my favourite authors and want to read all of her books. :) ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
The sexual tension between Caroline Trent and Blake Ravenscroft is amazing! I loved the book! It was funny, romantic and a lot of great characters, I am glad James didn't marry Caroline, because Elizabeth is a great character!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Witty dialogue, poorly crafted narrative, almost irrelevant action and cookie-cutter romance.

After the fourth or fifth (I lost count) verbal duel between Caroline and Blake I almost gave up on this book. A happy ending was inevitable, and the back-story of Bonapartist smugglers held so little promise that I didn't care what happened to the odious Oliver Prewitt and Mata-Hari clone Carlotta, both of whom are introduced at the beginning of the book, and both of whom we know are bound to show up at the end.

Blake's angst over the death in undercover action of his beloved Marabelle (shades of Irene Adler) is revisited one too many times and the breathless description of Caroline's painless and instantly orgasmic defloration did what this HR trope always does: snaps the very thin thread suspending the reader's disbelief.

The biggest puzzle of this book is the author's introduction. It didn't make sense. Ms Quinn reveals that, at one point, she thought that [b:To Catch an Heiress|110395|To Catch an Heiress (Ex-spies, #1)|Julia Quinn|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1325388992s/110395.jpg|106387] was the worst thing she'd ever written, until the idea of "A Word a Day" vocabulary building gave her an insight into the incomplete character of Caroline.

This epiphany may have done something for Ms Quinn, but I still don't know what connection it has with the story, apart from the cute "Word of the Day" that prefaces each chapter, and could have easily been deleted without affecting the book for better or worse. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this story but there were times it dragged a bit. I loved the supporting friend more than the hero! Can't wait for his book!

Over all engaging characters and a really interesting read! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Caroline Trent hadn't meant to shoot Percival Prewitt, but she had, and now he was dead.

When Caroline Trent is kidnapped by Blake Ravenscroft, she doesn't even try to elude this dangerously handsome agent of the crown. After all, she's been running from unwanted marriage proposals. Yes, Blake believes she's a notorious spy named Carlotta De Leon, but for six weeks until her twenty-first birthday, when she'll gain control of her own fortune, hiding out in the titillating company of a mysterious captor is awfully convenient—and maybe just a little romantic, too.

Blake Ravenscroft's mission is to bring "Carlotta" to justice, not to fall in love. His heart has been hardened by years of intrigue, but this little temptress proves oddly disarming and thoroughly kissable. And suddenly the unthinkable becomes possible—that this mismatched couple might be destined for love

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380789353, Mass Market Paperback)

Caroline Trent is fed up with her greedy guardian, Oliver Prewitt, and his nitwit son, Percy. With only six weeks to go until she can claim her inheritance and rid herself of them, Percy attempts to forcibly seduce her. Fortunately, Caroline has a pistol at hand and she uses it--wounding the annoying man just enough to allow her to escape. Fuming, she flees the dark manor house determined to find employment and hide from her guardian for six weeks. But a bad night turns worse when a tall, dark stranger accosts her. Blake Ravenscroft thinks Caroline is a female spy, part of Oliver Prewitt's smuggling activities that include spying for Napoleon. He kidnaps Caroline, ties her to a bed at his nearby home, and grills her unsuccessfully before a friend arrives and tells Blake that he's captured the wrong woman. Caroline explains her predicament and, given what he knows of the larcenous Oliver Prewitt, Blake has no option but to offer her shelter. Caroline isn't a woman accustomed to sitting in the parlor sipping tea, especially while Blake's investigation has him involved in far more exciting, life-threatening activities. Blake isn't a man accustomed to having a woman ignore his commands. Sparks fly and passion sizzles between these two characters while a cast of endearing characters provide well-meaning assistance. To Catch an Heiress is both warm and wonderful, with witty dialogue and endearing characters. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:19 -0400)

Determined to escape marriage to her fortune-hunting guardian's idiotic son, Caroline Trent runs away and winds up in the arms of Blake Ravenscroft, an agent of the crown who mistakes her for a notorious spy and takes her captive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,198,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible