A Reverence for Wood by Eric Sloane

A Reverence for Wood (1965)

by Eric Sloane

My dad turned me onto Sloane. I love satisfying my craving to learn something that I'll never use, and would never learn in school, but which is still interesting. It's especially interesting because Sloane's own passion shines in his writing. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Interesting look, with lots of drawings, of ways to work with wood, using old hand tools.
  SteveJohnson | Jul 22, 2013 |
Great art. I absolutely love looking at the ink drawing by Eric Sloane. There is also so much good information clearly presented - I just love it. ( )
  ZechariahStover | Jun 4, 2012 |
I've read this several times. I'm interested in identifying trees & knowing their uses in woodworking. This is one of the best books. It's quick & doesn't go into a lot of detail, but gives an excellent overview. He reuses a lot of the text in here in other books, but it is worth repeating. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |
Poetic, simple, and informative. I bought a copy. ( )
  jpsnow | Apr 6, 2008 |
Eric Sloane is to be commended for his contribution through words and sketches...

Perpetual moderness is the measure of merit in every work of art. - Emerson
To Joseph McLaughlin the man at my publisher's office who insisted upon my doing this book
"They don't build them like that now, " said Harley as he tapped the wrecking bar against one of the old pegged joints.

Refreshingly written, delightfully illustrated book remarks expansively on the resourcefulness of early Americans in their use of this valuable commodity — from the crafting of furniture, tools, and buildings to the use of such by-products as charcoal and medicine. "One of Sloane's best books." — Library Journal. 69 black-and-white illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

Originally published in 1965, this illustrated book describes the importance of wood to Americans, from the early settlers through to the mid-1900's. Covers such topics as aesthetics of wood, wooden implements, and carpentry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,879,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible