Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word…

Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and… (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Rachel Fershleiser (Editor), Larry Smith (Editor)

Member:kelsia3
Title:Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure
Authors:Rachel Fershleiser
Other authors:Larry Smith (Editor)
Info:Harper Perennial (2008), Paperback, 225 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure by Rachel Fershleiser (Editor) (2008)

Apparently creativity blooms under a word restriction. Like Twitter, some gems, many "meh". Inspires one to make one's own. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I wish these were divided into sections of some sort. I think they would have flowed better and made for a more engaging read. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jun 2, 2017 |
clever and witty, there are lots of smiles in this gem. A more accessible form would be on the web! ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
A tedious brief book. Now gone. ( )
  muumi | Dec 12, 2015 |
Rating: 3.75* of five

My Review: Deceptively simple and surprisingly addictive, Not Quite What I Was Planning is a thousand glimpses of humanity—six words at a time.
When Ernest Hemingway famously wrote, "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn," he proved that an entire story can be told using a half-dozen words. When the online storytelling magazine SMITH asked readers to submit six-word memoirs, they proved a whole, real life can be told this way, too. The results are fascinating, hilarious, shocking, and moving.

From small sagas of bittersweet romance ("Found true love, married someone else") to proud achievements and stinging regrets ("After Harvard, had baby with crackhead"), these terse true tales relate the diversity of human experience in tasty bite-size pieces.

The original edition of Not Quite What I Was Planning spent six weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, and thanks to massive media attention—from NPR to the The New Yorker—the six-word memoir concept spread to classrooms, dinner tables, churches, synagogues, and tens of thousands of blogs. This deluxe edition has been revised and expanded to include more than sixty never-before-seen memoirs.

From authors Elizabeth Gilbert, Richard Ford, and Joyce Carol Oates to celebrities Stephen Colbert, Mario Batali, and Joan Rivers to ordinary folks around the world, everyone has a six-word story to tell.

My Review: I think this is the perfect book for, uhmmmm, browsing while you're stuck in Uncle John's sacred space. Sometimes funny, a few placed perfectly to cause loss of consciousness every few pages.

A must-acquire for those facing airplane travel, and an essential distraction source for the "death meetings." ( )
  richardderus | May 4, 2015 |

Fershleiser, RachelEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LarryEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bilardello, RobinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction: Legend has it that Ernest Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in six words. Papa came back swinging with, "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

One Life. Six Words. What's Yours?

When Hemingway famously wrote, "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn," he proved that an entire story can be told using a half dozen words. When the online storytelling magazine SMITH asked readers to submit six-word memoirs, they proved a whole, real life can be told this way too. The results are fascinating, hilarious, shocking, and moving.

From small sagas of bittersweet romance ("Found true love, married someone else") to proud achievements and stinging regrets ("After Harvard, had baby with crackhead"), these terse true tales relate the diversity of human experience in tasty bite-sized pieces. From authors Jonathan Lethem and Richard Ford to comedians Stephen Colbert and Amy Sedaris, to ordinary folks around the world, everyone has a six-word story to tell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

A collection of six-word memoirs, contributed by both famous and obscure writers, records the human experience in works that are by turn whimsical, poignant, and bizarre, by such authors as Joyce Carol Oates and Joan Rivers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,580,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible