Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson

Show Way (edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Woodson, Hudson Talbott (Illustrator)

Member:rachelonishi
Title:Show Way
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:Hudson Talbott (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2005), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:African American History

Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson

It took me two reads to be able to keep up with the characters. There is a timeline of the characters in the back that may have been useful in the front. The way it was written was not proper, but it did suit the dialect being used without taking it too far. The writing was not 5 star quality, because I had to read it two times to comprehend it all. The illustrations were captivating and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

This is the first children's book that made be really teary-eyed.

So, this book was about slavery and covered several generations. I never knew about the show way. I found this book intriguing. I connected with the character that stayed behind to help new slaves escape. There were actual people who sacrificed that way. It must have taken a lot of courage. I imagine they were killed if they were discovered. Many slaves were killed as they tried to get north, and this book did not ignore that.

Though the writing was not as clear as I would have liked it to be, I loved this story and feel I have a better understanding of some of the things that took place when slavery was present in the United States.
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
I think this book was a great way to walk through the history of slavery and African American rights in a format that children will understand and enjoy. I could see this book being used in first, second, or third grade to discuss slave trade and how African Americans gained freedom and beyond that basic human rights and equality. You could also use it in a lesson on how generations within families work (great grandma, grandma, etc.) ( )
  ddeely | Apr 5, 2016 |
This book is about Jacqueline Woodson’s own family history. When Sonnie’s great grandmother was only seven, she was sold to a plantation. All she had with her were two needles, muslin, and thread. Sonnie’s great grandmother started the family tradition for the girls of the family to make show ways. Each generation passes down their story and quilts that show that they all never gave up on hope. This is a beautiful book that talks about tradition and has the history of slavery in it as well. From the touching story to the stunning illustrations I truly enjoyed this book. Each page of the book is made to look like a quilt. My personal favorite illustration is the one of the United States, it looks like a quilts and has a shadow of black man who is trying to run away, but is shot. Overall, this is a beautiful personal story told by Woodson. ( )
  hjaber | Mar 29, 2016 |
I loved this book probably because after reading "Brown Girl Dreaming", I'm obsessed with Jacqueline Woodson. This book traces the women in her family through the generations to Soonie, who was sold from a planation in Virginia. I also am fond of history and the Underground Railroad. Jacqueline's family has roots as conductors and stops on the Underground Railroad too. The pictures are stunning and the more you look at them the more you see. Curricular connections: Organizing a narrative by way of people rather than events. I would also use this as a way to explain the Underground Railroad, from a historical persepective as well as a way to share an biography. ( )
  amyruotsala | Feb 18, 2016 |
Slavery but later ie underground railroad

http://www.the-best-childrens-books.org/Show-Way.html (summary and activities)
  ccsdss | Feb 8, 2016 |

Jacqueline Woodsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hudson TalbottIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Diahann CarrollNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Soonie's great-grandma was just seven years old when she was sold to a big plantation without her ma and pa, and with only some fabric and needles to call her own. She pieced together bright patches with names like North Star and Crossroads, patches with secret meanings made into quilts called Show Ways -- maps for slaves to follow to freedom. When she grew up and had a little girl, she passed on this knowledge. And generations later, Soonie -- who was born free -- taught her own daughter how to sew beautiful quilts to be sold at market and how to read.

From slavery to freedom, through segregation, freedom marches and the fight for literacy, the tradition they called Show Way has been passed down by the women in Jacqueline Woodson's family as a way to remember the past and celebrate the possibilities of the future. Beautifully rendered in Hudson Talbott's luminous art, this moving, lyrical account pays tribute to women whose strength and knowledge illuminate their daughters' lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:38 -0400)

The making of "Show ways," or quilts which once served as secret maps for freedom-seeking slaves, is a tradition passed from mother to daughter in the author's family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,923,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible