Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson

Show Way (edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Woodson, Hudson Talbott (Illustrator)

Member:rachelonishi
Title:Show Way
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:Hudson Talbott (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2005), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:African American History

Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson

This is one woman's story of tracing of her ancestors in a simple, yet poetic way. It traces important times in history in relation to her family. It also celebrates the importance of quilting and how this skill was passed down in her family. You can feel the pride and love she feels for her family in the text. The story ends with the author relating her family history to her child so that the story can continue. You could use this book when talking about family history or as a companion book to other historical books on the Underground Railroad or during that time in history. ( )
  SuPendleton | Jun 7, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. The first thing I liked was the symbolize. Throughout the story it shows how sewing muslin and quilting was passed through generations.This symbolized family ties and Woodson's family history. I also enjoyed how the illustrations were bold and colorful. Each page incorporated the color of the quilted patchwork throughout history. They were lively with intricate patterns. It was very informative to learn about Woodson's family history in this narrative and how each generation influenced the other. The main idea of this message is the importance of family history. ( )
  mingra2 | Apr 8, 2014 |
Although I did enjoy the story of the book, I felt that I was a little hard to read, especially for the younger children who might be reading by themselves. The plot was very good and had a lot of twists and turns to get the reader involved like moving from one generation of the family to the next, and explaining what they had to deal with at the time in history. This is the reason I really enjoyed the book, however the way that the information was given and the language that was sometimes used throughout could be confusing to a children reading it with out any help or explanation. For example, some sentences were not structured how many children speak like saying "raised most the slave children on that land" did not really flow with the previous sentences and words such as jumped broom, many children wouldn't know what this meant and the illustrations did not help very much. One a few pages, real quotes and real pictures were used which I loved and I though that this brought something special to the story. Learning about history through one families ancestral experiences was a really interesting way to learn about the importance of family and knowing about the past. Overall, I loved this book and the amount of information it was able to pack into a short picture book but I do wish the sentences structure and the language was slightly more child friendly. ( )
  ramber1 | Mar 21, 2014 |
What is there that is better than a book that tells you of your ancestry. I love how this book tells you a story about Woodson's family line. It wraps you in with the great thoughts of hiding maps away in blankets, and yet still tells you a bit of history. I would use this book for so many different things in school, history, the underground railroad, or even just to show children a creative way to tell about their family lines and traditions. Great story! Makes me wish I could sew secrets in quilts! ( )
  CMJohnson | Feb 26, 2014 |
A wonderfully written story of Woodson's family and the impact of slavery that resulted in strength and power.

Written in dialect, the author's framework is rhythmically unique. At the age of seven, great grandmother is sold in auction. Framing quilts that showed the way in prints and paths, this is a history of freedom.

The words and the illustrations together create a powerful and wonderful story of resiliency.
Five Stars. Highly recommended. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jan 8, 2014 |

Jacqueline Woodsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hudson TalbottIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Diahann CarrollNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Soonie's great-grandma was just seven years old when she was sold to a big plantation without her ma and pa, and with only some fabric and needles to call her own. She pieced together bright patches with names like North Star and Crossroads, patches with secret meanings made into quilts called Show Ways -- maps for slaves to follow to freedom. When she grew up and had a little girl, she passed on this knowledge. And generations later, Soonie -- who was born free -- taught her own daughter how to sew beautiful quilts to be sold at market and how to read.

From slavery to freedom, through segregation, freedom marches and the fight for literacy, the tradition they called Show Way has been passed down by the women in Jacqueline Woodson's family as a way to remember the past and celebrate the possibilities of the future. Beautifully rendered in Hudson Talbott's luminous art, this moving, lyrical account pays tribute to women whose strength and knowledge illuminate their daughters' lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:46 -0400)

The making of "Show ways," or quilts which once served as secret maps for freedom-seeking slaves, is a tradition passed from mother to daughter in the author's family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible