Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson

Show Way (edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Woodson, Hudson Talbott (Illustrator)

Member:rachelonishi
Title:Show Way
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:Hudson Talbott (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2005), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:African American History

Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson

Show way was a worthwhile read, but not my favorite. There were many aspects of the book I liked, yet some I disliked as well. I liked the plot, as it takes place through generations of one particular family. It started in the past, and worked its was up to present day, and that was a great feature in my opinion! It had a nice flow and kept a steady pace. I also liked how the story is told from a character in the present day generation.

I disliked this book because it seemed to drag on and on. Show way focused on a quilt that was added on to through the years in one family, and how many purposes it served and meaningful it was. I just thought the writing was very repetitious, even though that was part of the purpose of the book I though it was a bit overdone.

The illustrations were kind of dull and dark, which was a downside, and I think they weren't as vibrant as they could have been to grasp the readers attention. The main message of this book was that although slavery was legal at one point in time, freedom still came and created memories for the families down that road to freedom. It ultimately stated the importance of family, which I liked. Overall I had mixed feelings about this book, but would still recommend it to young readers as it serves many good purposes. ( )
  Skaide1 | Dec 8, 2014 |
This book depicts the history of a "show way" which is a quilt made with hidden messages displayed on it. This book is pretty depressing and haunting because of how real this tale might have been. This book reflects on the lives of slaves when slavery was legal and there were people trying to escape. I love how the pictures work wit the story. There are wonderful collages made of shapes that really allow me to become in the mindset this book wants to portray. I love how this books strings so much timeline into one book. It starts with the story of the grandmother and goes 4 generations down. The big picture of this book is to show the rich history behind finding freedom for slaves. ( )
  ajfurman | Dec 2, 2014 |
Show Way
Bryan O'Keeffe

This book is probably one of the favorite multicultural books that I have read for this project so fat. I really enjoyed how the quilt was the main character of the story. There were other characters in the story but I felt that the quilt was the real start of the story. Somehow that honestly felt believable to myself that a quilt was an actual character of the story. This story takes place over a longer period time and I think the author had made the transition in time very well. Specific characters were a part of important events throughout history. This made the plot very interesting and engaging. There didn't seem to be one particular climax in the story because of all of different events. I think the story did lack in descriptive language. There was not much in the way of describing what was going on. However the illustrations did the majority of telling the story. Each page was like a little square on a quilt which put the whole story together at the end. That was a really cool feature of the book. ( )
  bokeef2 | Nov 18, 2014 |
Jacqueline Woodson paints the tale of how quilting "show ways" has been passed down through generations of black women, ever since the slave trade began in the United States. A "show way" is essentially a coded map that tells how to get to the underground railroad and escape to the north. Show Way is the story to use to introduce the concept of the Underground Railroad to young children and paint an important picture of why this was vital to American history. ( )
  ksager | Oct 28, 2014 |
Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson is a picture book autobiography in which Woodson tracks her family history and her talent for story telling and art back to an unnamed female relative who was a slave.

First through learning the stars and then through the art of quilting and story telling, the women pass down the route to freedom. Even after the Civil War and emancipation, World Wars, the Depression, and Civil Rights, Woodson's family continues to pass along the Show Way quilts and the accompanying stories.

The book flows through Soonie, of one Jacqueline Woodson's ancestors and it goes through Woodson's own daughter. As a woman who remembers fondly the stories my grandmother told me of the women in the family who came before us, I felt a kinship with this story. I am eager to share it with my daughter. The copy I read was one I was cataloging at work. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 23, 2014 |

Jacqueline Woodsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hudson TalbottIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Diahann CarrollNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Soonie's great-grandma was just seven years old when she was sold to a big plantation without her ma and pa, and with only some fabric and needles to call her own. She pieced together bright patches with names like North Star and Crossroads, patches with secret meanings made into quilts called Show Ways -- maps for slaves to follow to freedom. When she grew up and had a little girl, she passed on this knowledge. And generations later, Soonie -- who was born free -- taught her own daughter how to sew beautiful quilts to be sold at market and how to read.

From slavery to freedom, through segregation, freedom marches and the fight for literacy, the tradition they called Show Way has been passed down by the women in Jacqueline Woodson's family as a way to remember the past and celebrate the possibilities of the future. Beautifully rendered in Hudson Talbott's luminous art, this moving, lyrical account pays tribute to women whose strength and knowledge illuminate their daughters' lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:46 -0400)

The making of "Show ways," or quilts which once served as secret maps for freedom-seeking slaves, is a tradition passed from mother to daughter in the author's family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,476,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible