Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson

Show Way (edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Woodson, Hudson Talbott (Illustrator)

Member:rachelonishi
Title:Show Way
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:Hudson Talbott (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2005), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:African American History

Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson

A heart warming book about generations of slaves, brought together by quilting. The quilt that was passed down showed the way to freedom using the moon, the stars, and the road. Finally the slaves are freed and we meet the narrator that is a descendant of the slaves before her time. The narrator still sewed stars, moons, and roads in a quilt, keeping the tradition alive and also wrote down the stories of her elders to tell to her daughter one day. ( )
  sottallah | Apr 19, 2015 |
Woodson writes Show Way to tell the story of a salve who quits once she is separated from her family. Quilting gets passed down from generation to generation as each new girl is born into the family. The quilts tell stories and some help other slaves escape to slavery. By the end of the book, it is revealed that this is the story of Woodson's family. I really enjoyed this book. I especially liked how the illustrations were made to look like a quilt. Woodson's ancestors have a great story, which she told wonderfully. ( )
  mferaci | Apr 9, 2015 |
This wonderful picture book tells the story of Jacqueline woodson's family and their envolement in slavery and the underground rail road. It begins with one young girl and her great-grand mother and goes on for four more generations.
(Educreation formal book review) ( )
  ecarlson2014 | Feb 24, 2015 |
I loved this story. Watching hope spread through the generations with the Show Way patches was moving. As a quilter, the illustrations were just as meaningful to the story. Each page was a mosaic of inspiration. Curricular connections in social studies and language arts can be made with third and fourth grade as they create their own Show Way. The class can make a quilt that expresses their individual histories. ( )
  tona.iwen | Feb 8, 2015 |
Show way was a worthwhile read, but not my favorite. There were many aspects of the book I liked, yet some I disliked as well. I liked the plot, as it takes place through generations of one particular family. It started in the past, and worked its was up to present day, and that was a great feature in my opinion! It had a nice flow and kept a steady pace. I also liked how the story is told from a character in the present day generation.

I disliked this book because it seemed to drag on and on. Show way focused on a quilt that was added on to through the years in one family, and how many purposes it served and meaningful it was. I just thought the writing was very repetitious, even though that was part of the purpose of the book I though it was a bit overdone.

The illustrations were kind of dull and dark, which was a downside, and I think they weren't as vibrant as they could have been to grasp the readers attention. The main message of this book was that although slavery was legal at one point in time, freedom still came and created memories for the families down that road to freedom. It ultimately stated the importance of family, which I liked. Overall I had mixed feelings about this book, but would still recommend it to young readers as it serves many good purposes. ( )
  Skaide1 | Dec 8, 2014 |

Jacqueline Woodsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hudson TalbottIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Diahann CarrollNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Soonie's great-grandma was just seven years old when she was sold to a big plantation without her ma and pa, and with only some fabric and needles to call her own. She pieced together bright patches with names like North Star and Crossroads, patches with secret meanings made into quilts called Show Ways -- maps for slaves to follow to freedom. When she grew up and had a little girl, she passed on this knowledge. And generations later, Soonie -- who was born free -- taught her own daughter how to sew beautiful quilts to be sold at market and how to read.

From slavery to freedom, through segregation, freedom marches and the fight for literacy, the tradition they called Show Way has been passed down by the women in Jacqueline Woodson's family as a way to remember the past and celebrate the possibilities of the future. Beautifully rendered in Hudson Talbott's luminous art, this moving, lyrical account pays tribute to women whose strength and knowledge illuminate their daughters' lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:46 -0400)

The making of "Show ways," or quilts which once served as secret maps for freedom-seeking slaves, is a tradition passed from mother to daughter in the author's family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible