SantaThing sign up ends in 2:38 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

The King of Attolia (2006)

by Megan Whalen Turner

Series: Queen's Thief (3)

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The Empty Kingdom by Elizabeth Wein (Maid_Marian)
    The Lymond Chronicles, Books 1-6 by Dorothy Dunnett (themulhern)
    themulhern: The books in the series have the same kind of arc. Lymond is small, irritating, and astonishing, just like Eugenides. And he has a tortured relationship with his one true love, just like Eugenides. The Lymond chronicles are for a more mature audience and are much better written, but the similarities are inescapable.… (more)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Perhaps not as much of a master of wit as Gen is but certainly full of the same tense action-packed yet humorous style we all know and love
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (cattwing)
    cattwing: I thought I'd never find a book worthy of comparing to anything with the Thief in it, but I think I finally have. If you enjoyed Turner's complex intrigues and plot twists, you may enjoy Mistwood as well.

Caution: Spoilers for previous books in the series

Book Three, The King of Attolia, is told from an entirely different point of view from previous books, that of Costis Ormentiedes. Costis is in the Queen’s Guard, and like many others in service to the palace, thought of Eugenides as “a jumped-up barbarian goatfoot who abducted the Queen of Attolia and forced her to accept you as a husband and you have no right to be king…” As this third book begins, Costis has impulsively punched the new king in the jaw, and expects to be executed. Instead, the King comes to him and makes him a part of his own guard.

Costis is not the only guard member who has been acting out dislike for the new king. Eugenides has endured sand in his food, snakes in his bed, ink stains on his clothes, and other little acts of aggression from guard members. Once, hunting dogs were even released into the courtyard as he passed through. Repeatedly though, Gen pretended not to notice.

But Gen is no one’s fool, and there is always a reason behind what he does and does not do. In the course of this story, his motives become clear, as the Court finally figures out that he is a worthy King indeed.

Evaluation: This is a terrific series. For those who fear the steep learning curve of many fantasies, these books won’t put you off at all. Most of the complexity is in the characterization and relationships. The writing and pacing are excellent, and there are plenty of twists that aren’t “artificial” but rather reflect the ongoing political machinations of the actors. Female characters tend to be stronger than the males, but the males won’t disappoint you. The romances are some of the most nuanced and realistic you’ll find in YA books. Prepare to have your heart stolen! ( )
  nbmars | Aug 28, 2016 |
Great Book!

I love the way the story builds. Since I read the prior books I know there is much ore to Eugenides than what Costis sees. But what is Eugenides up to? ( )
  nx74defiant | Aug 15, 2016 |
Clever and Cunning, The Thief is King

No one said marriage is easy. The one between Eugenides, the spy/thief of Eddis and his sworn enemy the queen of Attolia seemed doomed from the start, a marriage of political convenience, imposed on Attolia by their rival kingdom. For how could the thief possibly love the queen responsible for the loss of his hand?

But Eugenides is anything but predictable and has married the queen for love, even if by doing so he must leave his beloved Eddis behind.

As the third book in this excellent series starts, Eugenides is stranded in the Attolian palace. Ridiculed by the Attolian courtesans, despised by the Queen guards and his own attendants, he endures their daily pranks, pretending to be a guileless idiot while weaving a web of intrigue to gain his queen’s heart and bring his enemies to their knees. If only he lives long enough.

Cleverly plotted and beautiful written, the story moves at a fast pace to a satisfying conclusion that answers many questions while posing new ones,

Is the Queen pregnant as her fainting may suggest?
Where is Sophos, the heir of Sounis? Would he marry the Queen of Eddis?
Would the political situation in a not distant future set Eugenides against his cousin, the queen of Eddis?

The only thing I know for sure is that I’m impatiently waiting for the King’s return.
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
Eugenides is now King of Attolia. He only took the position to avert a Mede invasion...and because he's desperately in love with the Queen of Attolia. He admires her strength and power, and does not want to rule as king, afraid that he'll take that away from her, or that he'll be forced into a role he does not want. Instead, he plays the fool. His deceptions, and the machinations of the Attolian court, all come to a head at last. All of this is slowly revealed via the perspective of Costis, a young and honorable guardsman who dislikes his new king but gradually comes to respect him against his will.

I adored this book, which showcases both how incredible our beloved characters are, and how much they love each other. I love the relationship between Gen and Irene, tangled up as it is with pride, love, and memories of past brutality. And I love all the intrigues, which made perfect sense once they were revealed but were rather too smart for me to figure out on my own.

wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
wow. gen was like completely Machiavellian but in a good way. loved it. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Megan Whalen Turnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with gratitude to Elizabeth Cretti. Without her tireless effort, it could not have been written.
The queen waited.
"Will you serve me and my god?...Then come out knowing that you'll never die of a fall unless the god himself drops you."
"I could hang you," she said. Eugenides looked up at her. "You missed your chance for that," he said.

By scheming and theft, the Thief of Eddis has become King of Attolia. Eugenides wanted the queen, not the crown, but he finds himself trapped in a web of his own making.

Then he drags a naive young guard into the center of the political maelstrom. Poor Costis knows he is the victim of the king's caprice, but his contempt for Eugenides slowly turns to grudging respect. Though struggling against his fate, the newly crowned king is much more than he appears. Soon the corrupt Attolian court will learn that its subtle and dangerous intrigue is no match for Eugenides.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Eugenides, still known as a Thief of Eddis, faces palace intrigue and assassins as he strives to prove himself both to the people of Attolia and to his new bride, their queen.

261 wanted6 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,650,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible