The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

The King of Attolia (2006)

by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The Empty Kingdom by Elizabeth Wein (Maid_Marian)
    The Lymond Chronicles, Books 1-6 by Dorothy Dunnett (themulhern)
    themulhern: The books in the series have the same kind of arc. Lymond is small, irritating, and astonishing, just like Eugenides. And he has a tortured relationship with his one true love, just like Eugenides. The Lymond chronicles are for a more mature audience and are much better written, but the similarities are inescapable.… (more)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Perhaps not as much of a master of wit as Gen is but certainly full of the same tense action-packed yet humorous style we all know and love
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (cattwing)
    cattwing: I thought I'd never find a book worthy of comparing to anything with the Thief in it, but I think I finally have. If you enjoyed Turner's complex intrigues and plot twists, you may enjoy Mistwood as well.

Deeply disappointing. What seemed so promising at the start reads like self-indulgent slash fic once it really gets going. Goopy. ( )
  themulhern | Aug 29, 2015 |
The King of Attolia is the third in the Queen’s Thief series, which starts with The Thief. I would suggest reading at least The Queen of Attolia beforehand to know the background on the different characters going in. Note – there will be inevitable spoilers for previous books in this review.

The King of Attolia is a introspective, character based YA fantasy novel. Honestly, if I hadn’t known it was marketed as YA, I wouldn’t have guessed. The characters ages are never explicitly stated, although we know Eugenides to be young. It’s also has very low levels of magic. There’s a bit of communicating with the gods, but nothing beyond that. Certainly, there’s no wizards or dragons.

The King of Attolia takes up not too long after The Queen of Attolia left off. Eugenides has married Attolia (Irene), but the court absolutely hates him. They consider him to be weak and stupid, and to be fair, he doesn’t give them many reasons to think otherwise.

The majority of the novel is told from the point of view of Costis, a palace guard. Costis has the misfortune of losing his temper at the king and punching Eugenides in the face. Certain he’s about to be executed, Costis is instead made Eugenides personal guard. Costis provides the perspective of an outsider and lets the reader see Eugenides from the perspective of the court. Costis gradually comes to see more and more of who we know Eugenides to be from previous books.

The strength of this series is the characterization, which is excellent. There’s so many complexities and subtleties going on. All of these characters feel realistic, and the joy of the series comes from getting to understand them. It’s a pleasure to spend time in their company, and Eugenides is relentlessly charming.

Plot wise, The King of Attolia is slower paced book focused around court intrigue. It reminds me a lot of The Goblin Emperor, actually. My main criticism is that there’s a bit of a lull about a hundred pages from the end, where it seems like everything’s wrapped up. There’s still somethings to be taken care of, but it throws off the pacing.

I’d recommend The King of Attolia for those looking for a quiet but well wrought shorter fantasy novel.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Aug 27, 2015 |
Super short review b/c this was just pure epicness, through and through! Haven't read a fantasy so good in quite a while. I feel like the first two in the series were pretty much building up to this perfection, even though they were decently good in their own rights! I think the only problem I had with it was my wanting more Attolia/Gen goodness and yet I still wouldn't add anything to keep it as enigmatic as possible. Gonna stop rambling words at 3 in the morning now, but yes. Loved, loved it (best read of the year, maybe?) ( )
  bubblyair | Jul 4, 2015 |
THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK IN THE SERIES.

I'm a sucker for outside point of view and competence, and this book has both in spades. Costis is an immensely good-hearted but kind of blockheaded character. He's irritatingly noble, but lovely. His devotion to his queen is beautiful, and his derision of the king gives me life.

Furthermore, seeing he outside view of the Eugenides-Attolia relationship is actually really amazing. After the Queen of Attolia, it's a little ambiguous whether they'll succeed as a marriage, but in the King of Attolia, it's made clear that despite their old issues, they well and truly love each other.

And Eugenides fighting off all the assassins himself--that was great.

Final desperate hope: Please don't let this be the last we see of Costis. It's possible he was just a character who was meant to illustrate the people's opinion of Eugenides. It's possible he doesn't serve any purpose other than that. BUT. I am still so, so attached to him and his bantering relationship with the king, and I would love more of that. ( )
  meghanas | Mar 21, 2015 |
Re-read, and I think I enjoyed it-- or perhaps *appreciated* it even more this time around. Not that I didn't also enjoy it, but this time I paid more attention to the precise and subtle details, and was much more emotionally engaged because of it. Not an easy book to read, but a very rewarding one!

devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
This book is dedicated with gratitude to Elizabeth Cretti. Without her tireless effort, it could not have been written.
The queen waited.
"Will you serve me and my god?...Then come out knowing that you'll never die of a fall unless the god himself drops you."
"I could hang you," she said. Eugenides looked up at her. "You missed your chance for that," he said.

By scheming and theft, the Thief of Eddis has become King of Attolia. Eugenides wanted the queen, not the crown, but he finds himself trapped in a web of his own making.

Then he drags a naive young guard into the center of the political maelstrom. Poor Costis knows he is the victim of the king's caprice, but his contempt for Eugenides slowly turns to grudging respect. Though struggling against his fate, the newly crowned king is much more than he appears. Soon the corrupt Attolian court will learn that its subtle and dangerous intrigue is no match for Eugenides.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Eugenides, still known as a Thief of Eddis, faces palace intrigue and assassins as he strives to prove himself both to the people of Attolia and to his new bride, their queen.

276 wanted6 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,124,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible