The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

The King of Attolia (2006)

by Megan Whalen Turner

Series: Queen's Thief (3)

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The Empty Kingdom by Elizabeth Wein (Maid_Marian)
    The Lymond Chronicles, Books 1-6 by Dorothy Dunnett (themulhern)
    themulhern: The books in the series have the same kind of arc. Lymond is small, irritating, and astonishing, just like Eugenides. And he has a tortured relationship with his one true love, just like Eugenides. The Lymond chronicles are for a more mature audience and are much better written, but the similarities are inescapable.… (more)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Perhaps not as much of a master of wit as Gen is but certainly full of the same tense action-packed yet humorous style we all know and love
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (cattwing)
    cattwing: I thought I'd never find a book worthy of comparing to anything with the Thief in it, but I think I finally have. If you enjoyed Turner's complex intrigues and plot twists, you may enjoy Mistwood as well.

Irritating, punctuated by intervals of interesting.

Others have already expressed the gist of my dissatisfaction--if it weren't for the good bits being very good, this would be a one or two star book. As it is, I'm basically done with the series--I thought 2 was a huge let-down after 1, and 3 is much the same if not slightly worse.

The author has created some wonderful characters and then kept them away from us. She's created compelling relationships that we don't get to see. Eventually (not really a spoiler) you from-time-to-time find out that some interesting things were happening while she wasn't telling you about them, which is maddening.

My favourite kind of writing will let you in enough on the plan to lure you in, but withholds enough to keep its eventual unfolding surprising. Not here. I'm done.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
1 vote ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
As the story of Gen and Attolia continue, we learn more about the state of Attolia, Gen as a person and his process of becoming The King of Attolia.

I found this book interesting and exciting. I found myself wondering a few times when the plot twists would show up and when different political and planned plots would manifest themselves and what they were meant to accomplish. I spent a lot of time going back and forth on my opinions on Gen, both as a ruler and a person.

The author does a great job to blend many characters together and not give away anything until just the right time, making this a very fast-paced read.

I definitely enjoyed it and will be starting book 4 next! ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
To me, this book is the best of the series so far. It had all the great things that the other books had but without the weaknesses I found in them. I really liked Costis and seeing things from his perspective. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner is the third novel in her Queen’s Thief fantasy series. The setting for these novels reminds me of the countries that surround the Mediterranean Sea. The characters’ names are Greek and this world has many gods, ruled over by the Great Goddess Hephestia. It is impossible to discuss this book without giving spoilers from the first two books, so if you are planning on reading these books, perhaps you should skip this review. Although the story continues on from the last book and is mostly about the marriage between Eugenides and the Queen of Attolia and how the Thief of Eddis takes to being the king, it is largely told from the point of view of Costis, a young soldier in the Queen’s Guard. Costis is honourable, loyal and steadfast, and as he comes to understand the complicated relationship between the Queen and the King, so too, do the readers.

The story involves the political intrigues that the marriage between the Thief of Eddis and the Queen of Attolia generates in the Attolian court. Most of the court views him as weak, unfit to be their king, but after an assassination attempt, it becomes very clear that there is a lot more to this new young King and his relationship with the Queen then was previously thought. While the main storyline is of his struggle to accept his destiny, when the true character of the King is finally revealed, Attolia can now concentrate on the danger that threatens from outside. Can the small countries of Attolia and Eddis stand united against an invasion from the Mede Empire?

Even though the story unfolds from the viewpoint of Costis, The King of Attolia is front and center as he matures and maneuvers his way to power. Although the reader is not privy to any intimate details between them, the Queen and King have an undeniable chemistry. And while there is less action than in the previous books, the author has crafted a very intelligent, romantic and absorbing story. I am already looking forward to book number four. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | May 30, 2018 |
My favorite of the series (I think - #2 is also so, so excellent). Gosh, I love these books. ( )
  scaifea | Sep 16, 2017 |

Megan Whalen Turnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with gratitude to Elizabeth Cretti. Without her tireless effort, it could not have been written.
The queen waited.
"Will you serve me and my god?...Then come out knowing that you'll never die of a fall unless the god himself drops you."
"I could hang you," she said. Eugenides looked up at her. "You missed your chance for that," he said.

By scheming and theft, the Thief of Eddis has become King of Attolia. Eugenides wanted the queen, not the crown, but he finds himself trapped in a web of his own making.

Then he drags a naive young guard into the center of the political maelstrom. Poor Costis knows he is the victim of the king's caprice, but his contempt for Eugenides slowly turns to grudging respect. Though struggling against his fate, the newly crowned king is much more than he appears. Soon the corrupt Attolian court will learn that its subtle and dangerous intrigue is no match for Eugenides.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Eugenides, still known as a Thief of Eddis, faces palace intrigue and assassins as he strives to prove himself both to the people of Attolia and to his new bride, their queen.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,020,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible