The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

The King of Attolia (2006)

by Megan Whalen Turner

1,191626,734 (4.46)131
Recently added bylaylabelle94, GinandaGikendaasomin, drabsalom, lpracht, private library, Donogh, GovMarley
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The Empty Kingdom (The Mark of Solomon) by Elizabeth Wein (Maid_Marian)
    Mistwood by Leah Cypess (cattwing)
    cattwing: I thought I'd never find a book worthy of comparing to anything with the Thief in it, but I think I finally have. If you enjoyed Turner's complex intrigues and plot twists, you may enjoy Mistwood as well.
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Perhaps not as much of a master of wit as Gen is but certainly full of the same tense action-packed yet humorous style we all know and love

This is probably my favorite book yet in the series. I didn't think Ms. Turner could surprise me when it came to Gen, but she manages it all the same. This story is told primarily from the viewpoint of Costis who goes from insulting the king to being his most loyal defender. I especially loved the scenes between Gen and Irene. Beautiful. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 5, 2014 |
She amazes me. I had high expectations and she surpassed them. God this is GOOD. It's entirely about becoming oneself and coming into one's own, with Turner's usual unexpected twists and turns, wonderful characterization and sharp point of view. Five stars for how she manages to make me care about a character I've never even met before. Five stars for how she manages to make me chuckle every time she writes a joke. Five stars for her ability to create suspense out of thin air. Such wisdom in such few pages. Such stakes. Yet, such humanity. Great sequel and an even better novel. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
Liked it the best so far. ( )
  mkpiry | Sep 26, 2013 |
4.5 stars ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
Oh my goodness! A masterpiece. How can these keep getting better. This one gets more subtle and complex as well. Another seemingly very well thought out and interesting shift in the POV. Third person but mostly through the eyes of a king's guard - sort of.

I wish Megan Whalen Turner had a much larger list of books already written. The fourth book in this series has been ordered as well as her book of fantasy short stories. I'll probable be picking up the couple of anthologies listed that contain her work. ( )
1 vote Yona | May 2, 2013 |
This book is dedicated with gratitude to Elizabeth Cretti. Without her tireless effort, it could not have been written.
The queen waited.
"Will you serve me and my god?...Then come out knowing that you'll never die of a fall unless the god himself drops you."
"I could hang you," she said. Eugenides looked up at her. "You missed your chance for that," he said.

By scheming and theft, the Thief of Eddis has become King of Attolia. Eugenides wanted the queen, not the crown, but he finds himself trapped in a web of his own making.

Then he drags a naive young guard into the center of the political maelstrom. Poor Costis knows he is the victim of the king's caprice, but his contempt for Eugenides slowly turns to grudging respect. Though struggling against his fate, the newly crowned king is much more than he appears. Soon the corrupt Attolian court will learn that its subtle and dangerous intrigue is no match for Eugenides.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:34 -0400)

Eugenides, still known as a Thief of Eddis, faces palace intrigue and assassins as he strives to prove himself both to the people of Attolia and to his new bride, their queen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,931,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible