Ten Poems to Change Your Life Again and…

Ten Poems to Change Your Life Again and Again

by Roger Housden

This is a terrible book. The commentary provides too much personal (and disconcertingly jejune) information that cannot be of interest to anyone other than the author and his apparently odd wife. His discussion of the poems sounds like a mawkish college freshman at three o'clock in the morning after having taken many bong hits discussing how each grain of sand could be its own universe.
One also has to ask whether there was an editor. On page 41, it is clear that the author has no idea what the word "kelson" means; he apparently believes it to mean a subatomic particle, when in fact it is a part of a ship. On page 93, he misuses the word "enormity" to mean vast, rather than its correct meaning of extreme wickedness or evil. For a book about poetry, it is remarkably insensitive to the meaning of words, or the aesthetic pleasure of using them economically. ( )
  Banbury | Mar 9, 2011 |

That’s why poetry is dangerous. It gives voice to our unspoken dreams; it is a mirror to our own deepest joys, desires, and sorrows. It can tip us over into a new life, into a new way of seeing and being, that a moment ago we might even have had no words for.

In this new volume of his Ten Poems series, Roger Housden takes ten great poems and in personal, intimate essays shows how they led him, and can also lead us, into a more deeply lived and examined life. Housden says, “Every one of the poems in this book has struck me a blow, a direct hit, each of them, into the heart of hearts. Every one of them, in its own way, has opened a door for me to go deeper into my own experience, my own longings, my own sorrows and joys, and into the silence that surrounds all of this, all of us, always.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:42 -0400)

Every great poem invites us to step beyond what we know, what we think we can dream or dare. Great poetry is a catalyst for change: a change of mind, a change of heart, a change of life- and yes, over and over, again and again, with each new reading, and each new phase of our journey. That's why poetry is dangerous. It gives voice to our unspoken dreams; it is a mirror to our own deepest joys, desires, and sorrows. It can tip us over into a new life, into a new way of seeing and being, that a moment ago we might even have had no words for. In this new volume of his Ten Poems series, Roger Housden takes ten great poems and in personal, intimate essays shows how they led him, and can also lead us, into a more deeply lived and examined life. Housden says, "Every one of the poems in this book has struck me a blow, a direct hit, each of them, into the heart of hearts. Evey one of them, in its own way, has opened a door for me to go deeper into my own experience, my own longings, my own sorrows and joys, and into the silence that surrounds all of this, all of us, always."--The Harcover edition. -- taken from the OverDrive website.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible