Frank Herbert's Classic Dune (Book one) by…

Frank Herbert's Classic Dune (Book one) (original 1965; edition 1965)

by Frank Herbert

24,67736044 (4.3)3 / 662
Member:tiffin
Title:Frank Herbert's Classic Dune (Book one)
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Ace Books (1965), Paperback, 541 pages
Tags:Science Fiction

Dune by Frank Herbert (1965)

Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Patangel, JonTheTerrible, philAbrams)
    JonTheTerrible: The pace of these books are similar as well as the topics they cover: society and government. The science plays only a small role in both books but is present enough to successfully build the worlds in which the characters inhabit.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    The Faded Sun Trilogy by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Same basic sort of premise - SciFi set on desert worlds inspires the rise of a galactic empire, but very different outcomes!
    Gateway by Frederik Pohl (Vonini)
    Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Both books are a subtle blend of science fiction and fantasy while being truly epic stories. Although Dune remains a superior literary achievement in my view, Silverberg's Majipoor series is a credible alternative.
    The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Ecological science fiction.
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the description of the planet.
    The King Must Die & The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault (themulhern)
    themulhern: Young man with special powers and noble blood overthrows the established order through cunning and charisma. In the process he changes his people and then the rot sets in.
    A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski (Anonymous user)
    Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different in tone, but similar in scope, plus it's also about the lengths to which empires will go to maintain the status quo.
    The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Similar tropes in the form of human computers and a native species capable of granting youth, and the powerful woman trying to breed a special child- The Snow Queen seems on one level a response to Dune, taking many of the same elements and twisting them around, while going in quite different directions in other ways.… (more)
    The Lazarus Effect by Frank Herbert (d_perlo)
    d_perlo: So you have read Frank Herbert's Dune series and want more? Thy The Lazarus Effect, The Jesus Incident, and The Ascension Factor, also by Frank Herbert. This is his take on a water world.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    The Broken God by David Zindell (whiten06)
    whiten06: Another coming-of-age story with the protagonist gaining god-like knowledge through the use of hallucinogens.
    Singularity Sky by Charles Stross (hyper7)
    hyper7: Singularity Sky could have been set in the Dune universe.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    Beowulf's Children by Larry Niven (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Similar approach to exploring ecology of a fictional planet while adding to the mix of myth-inspired human interaction.
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (philAbrams)
    philAbrams: Little things that just add up, despite different major themes.
    National Lampoon's Doon by Ellis Weiner (TomWaitsTables)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: I once heard Harlan Ellison talking about how some works are unadaptable into film and he cited Dune and Moby-Dick And thinking about it, both works use their story telling as platforms for ruminations on well everything about life

1960s (6)
(2)

English (352)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (359)
It is an absolute classic. I lost myself in it when I was a teenager. It still continues to live up to its reputation. The story brings so many themes and characters together. There is politics, low drama, high drama, battles, ecological discussions, philosophical discourses, religion, spirituality.... I think others have listed them better than me. And there are so many powerful scenes in this story. I am surprised and entertained every time I read Dune. ( )
  SThomasKaza | May 20, 2016 |
Dune is one of those sci-fi novels where you get hit by a stream of dense, exotic-sounding coinages and no explanations about where we are or what's happening. It reads like there was a prologue which was removed before publication. Our hero, Paul Atreides, is also known as Muad'dib, and having endured the gom jabbar may be the Kwisatz Haderach foretold by the Bene Geserrit as well as the Lisan al-Gaib predicted by the ijaz of the Fremen, otherwise known as Usul in his home sietch…etc.

The exposition can be a little clunky at times, too. How's this for subtly introducing the identity of a new character:

‘Is it not a magnificent thing that I, the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, do?’

To which my initial reaction was: Is it not a shit thing that I, the reviewer Warwick Wise, read? Nevertheless, there is a certain charm to it all, the characters are a lot more than cardboard cutouts, and the world-building, prefiguring everything from Star Wars to Game of Thrones, is complex and excellent.

The story itself is a very classical hero-narrative (deliberately so – Herbert was a big fan of Joseph Campbell), which moves slowly but has all kinds of interesting details. Perhaps surprisingly, it felt to me like a real product of the 60s in many ways, with a central role given to mind-altering substances and an important ecological theme – the book is dedicated to ‘dry-land ecologists’. (Dune was popularised among the countercultural community after being included in Stuart Brand's Whole Earth Catalog, in a completely unexpected link with my other recent reading.) But all of these factors also make it quite relevant today, not least the depiction of a religiously fanatical desert community being exploited for the hugely profitable substance found by drilling into the sands. Those are all just added extras, though – if you don't enjoy the prospect of a big, sprawling political science-fiction saga then you're not going to get much out of the various subplots.

This Folio Society edition is kind of gorgeous, featuring these absolutely exquisite illustrations from Sam Weber, as well as a badly-written afterword from Brian Herbert which does not incline me to read the later sequels he wrote from his father's notes. I probably should have read this twenty years ago, but I'd still consider it a good, foundational piece of sci-fi, which sheds light on several aspects of the tradition and can still be enjoyed plenty for its own sake. ( )
1 vote Widsith | May 8, 2016 |
Well, I finally made it through Frank Herbert’s sci-fi classic Dune. Coming in at 831 pages, it’s a whopper of a novel. Published in 1965, Dune is widely considered a classic and was ranked #1 science fiction novel in a Wired reader’s poll. Dune won two science fiction awards—the Hugo and the Nebula—and was adapted as a film in 1984 and a mini-series in 2000. It has five sequels (none of which I will be reading).

The story, which is set on the desert planet of Arrakis over 20,000 years into the future, chronicles Paul-Muad’Dib’s rise to power. When the novel opens, the Atreides family has recently gained control of Arrakis. (Paul’s father is Duke Leto Atreides.) Soon after, though, most of the Atreides family is killed by the Harkonnens, and Paul and his mother escape to live with the desert-dwelling Fremen.

Arrakis is a desolate place. There is little water to be found, and the deserts are inhabited by enormous sandworms. These worms create melange, or “spice,” which is the most valuable substance in the universe. Essentially, spice is a highly addictive drug that affords some users with the ability to see beyond the present time and place.

234225There were so many different threads running through this novel—my short summary is only the barest outline of it. It has political, ecological, religious and mystical overtones. It made me think a lot about the way time is perceived, as Paul can see all possible future paths. I found it interesting that Arabic-sounding words (and some real ones, like “jihad,”) appear everywhere in this novel. It’s a well-developed world, complete with appendices describing the religion and ecology of Arrakis, which I appreciated.

Even though I’m not a fan of science fiction, I do like to go into a book with an open mind. (After all, I don’t really like fantasy novels, but I love The Lord of the Rings and Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth series.) But I just really didn’t like Dune. There were several factors beyond the genre that left a bad taste in my mouth. For one, there were very few female characters, and none of the women were as highly regarded as the men in the novel. Even Jessica, the respected Reverend Mother, was quickly overshadowed by her son Paul, whose abilities became greater than hers. The Bene Gesserit women were scorned as “witches” and often mistrusted. Men often had both wives and concubines and used marriage as a political strategy.

I was disappointed, too, by the writing style. The narrator provides the reader with the thoughts of so many characters that the events of the story are largely spoiled before they take place. For instance, I knew who the Atreides traitor was before (I believe) he was even introduced. There was no suspense!

I know several people who absolutely love this book, though, so if you enjoy science fiction, don’t take my review as the final word on Dune. Try it. It’s a classic, and it’ll make you think. And the worms are pretty awesome. ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
2nd most important sf/f book after LOTR. ( )
  browsers | May 5, 2016 |
One of the best Novels ever written. Vast scope and a plethora of ideas. If you ever read one Science Fiction novel, make it this one. ( )
  Archmage | Apr 5, 2016 |
As it faces its 50th anniversary, Dune may seem to be a story fading into the past. But I suspect there’s life in Frank Herbert’s masterpiece yet. ... But even 50 years after they reached their pinnacle, it’s Frank Herbert’s skills as a storyteller that will keep Dune alive for many decades to come. Because if there is one truly immortal thing in the universe, it’s a great story.

A portrayal of an alien society more complete and deeply detailed than any other author in the field has managed...a story absorbing equally for its action and philosophical vistas.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post Book World

One of the monuments of modern science fiction.
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune

Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dune (1984IMDb)
Dune (2000IMDb)
To the people whose labours go beyond ideas into the realm of 'real materials' - to the dry-land ecologists, wherever they may be, in whatever time they work, this effort at prediction is dedicated in humility and admiration.
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct... from "Manual of Muad'dib" by the Princess Irulan
In the week before their departure to Arakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
The thing the ecologically illiterate don't realize about an ecosystem is that it's a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained miss the collapse until too late. That's why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences.
The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows — a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition. Languages known to have multiple-volumes: French, German,
Set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary fiefdoms are controlled by noble Houses that owe an allegiance to the Imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides and scion of House Atreides) as he and his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the spice melange, the most important and valuable substance in the universe. The story explores the complex and multilayered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion, as forces of the Empire confront each other for control of Arrakis and its spice.

AR 5.7, 28 Pts
Foretold one gets dumped
in desert, then goes native.
Returns, beats baddies!
(ed.pendragon)
Fear the mind killer
Worm vomit expands the mind
Kwisatz Haderach
(amweb)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441013597, Paperback)

Dune is one of the most famous science fiction novels ever written, and deservedly so. The setting is elaborate and ornate, the plot labyrinthine, the adventures exciting. Five sequels follow. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:37 -0400)

This Hugo and Nebula Award winner tells the sweeping tale of a desert planet called Arrakis, the focus of an intricate power struggle in a byzantine interstellar empire. Arrakis is the sole source of Melange, the "spice of spices." Melange is necessary for interstellar travel and grants psychic powers and longevity, so whoever controls it wields great influence. The troubles begin when stewardship of Arrakis is transferred by the Emperor from the Harkonnen Noble House to House Atreides. The Harkonnens don't want to give up their privilege, though, and through sabotage and treachery they cast young Duke Paul Atreides out into the planet's harsh environment to die. There he falls in with the Fremen, a tribe of desert dwellers who become the basis of the army with which he will reclaim what's rightfully his. Paul Atreides, though, is far more than just a usurped duke. He might be the end product of a very long-term genetic experiment designed to breed a super human; he might be a messiah. His struggle is at the center of a nexus of powerful people and events, and the repercussions will be felt throughout the Imperium. Dune is one of the most famous science fiction novels ever written, and deservedly so. The setting is elaborate and ornate, the plot labyrinthine, the adventures exciting.… (more)

4 2034

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,891,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible