Dune by Frank Herbert

Dune (original 1965; edition 1983)

by Frank Herbert

28,90244064 (4.29)3 / 847
Here is the novel that will be forever considered a triumph of the imagination. Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, who would become the mysterious man known as Muad'Dib. He would avenge the traitorous plot against his noble family-and would bring to fruition humankind's most ancient and unattainable dream. A stunning blend of adventure and mysticism, environmentalism and politics, Dune won the first Nebula Award, shared the Hugo Award, and formed the basis of what it undoubtedly the grandest epic in science fiction.… (more)
Member:cvedovini
Title:Dune
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:France Loisirs (1983), Non relié

Dune by Frank Herbert (1965)

Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Patangel, JonTheTerrible, philAbrams)
    JonTheTerrible: The pace of these books are similar as well as the topics they cover: society and government. The science plays only a small role in both books but is present enough to successfully build the worlds in which the characters inhabit.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    The Faded Sun Trilogy by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Same basic sort of premise - SciFi set on desert worlds inspires the rise of a galactic empire, but very different outcomes!
    Gateway by Frederik Pohl (Vonini)
    A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski (Anonymous user)
    Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Both books are a subtle blend of science fiction and fantasy while being truly epic stories. Although Dune remains a superior literary achievement in my view, Silverberg's Majipoor series is a credible alternative.
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the description of the planet.
    Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different in tone, but similar in scope, plus it's also about the lengths to which empires will go to maintain the status quo.
    The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Ecological science fiction.
    Singularity Sky by Charles Stross (hyper7)
    hyper7: Singularity Sky could have been set in the Dune universe.
    The King Must Die & The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault (themulhern)
    themulhern: Young man with special powers and noble blood overthrows the established order through cunning and charisma. In the process he changes his people and then the rot sets in.
    The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Similar tropes in the form of human computers and a native species capable of granting youth, and the powerful woman trying to breed a special child- The Snow Queen seems on one level a response to Dune, taking many of the same elements and twisting them around, while going in quite different directions in other ways.… (more)
    Marrow by Robert Reed (Sandwich76)
    The Lazarus Effect by Frank Herbert (d_perlo)
    d_perlo: So you have read Frank Herbert's Dune series and want more? Thy The Lazarus Effect, The Jesus Incident, and The Ascension Factor, also by Frank Herbert. This is his take on a water world.
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (sturlington)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Broken God by David Zindell (whiten06)
    whiten06: Another coming-of-age story with the protagonist gaining god-like knowledge through the use of hallucinogens.
    The Enterprise of Death by Jesse Bullington (Sandwich76)
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (philAbrams)
    philAbrams: Little things that just add up, despite different major themes.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.

1960s (18)
(2)

English (432)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (439)
The husband is a big fan of Dune and a while back he got me to watch the Dune mini-series. The first time we watched it, I had no clue what was going on for pretty much the entire thing. The second time we watched it, I actually grasped a decent bit of what was going on. And I found it intriguing. So late last year we decided to have a little Dune book club where we read it (roughly) together.

I did have a few issues with the writing, especially at the beginning. The POV shifts around like crazy and it was rather distracting. Thankfully, that calmed down after Part I, so I was able to stop being annoyed long enough to get into the story. The writing style seemed a bit more dated than the story, but not as dated as it actually is, so rock on. There were a few times that the timing seemed a little weird (how did Harah get so much information from Stilgar when it seemed like they talked for just a minute? And wouldn't they be talking about Jamis, not Paul's tragic backstory? Yet everything she said to Paul at there first meeting was "Stilgar said..." and "According to Stilgar..."), but whatever. I liked the story and after I read some other non-sci-fi stuff, I hope the husband and I will do a little Dune 2 book club. ( )
  Aug3Zimm | Nov 12, 2019 |
(...)

I have long held the suspicion that what underlies big parts of literature is the way we relate to us being determined.

At a basic level, everybody understands that reality is deterministic: if an egg falls, it breaks. If you drink alcohol, your behavior changes. If our heads are chopped off, we die. Physical and chemical laws – via evolution – give rise to biology, behavior and society. That knowledge is a problem for our consciousness, for we feel in control.

As freedom is inherent in so many human claims, our basic understanding of reality short circuits with our basic perception of ourselves. It is humanity’s most basic problem – already acknowledged centuries ago by numerous strands of religious Predestination.

Recurrent readers of this blog know that I tend to find examples of this in many of the books I read. I believe the problem is the very bleeding heart of tragedy. It will not surprise you it is the core of Dune.

Recurrent readers of other Dune reviews will have found the usual references to other themes: environmentalism, ecology, oil, “critique of the myth of the hero” and religious fanaticism. It’s what keeps this book fresh, they claim. It’s about the Middle East! It’s about climate change! Etc. And while such claims definitely have merit, they miss the essential thing. The central theme is Paul’s prescience – and how this is tied to determinism. It is that what keeps the book fresh forever: it grounds Dune firmly in a reality we will never escape.

Dune is an ecological book, indeed, but not only in the Greenpeace way. Dune stresses the importance of ecology: the environment, conditions, surroundings, milieu, external factors, what have you. Factors that determine the way organisms succeed or not, that restrain their evolution, and that – ultimately – guide their internal make up.

The imperial planetary ecologist Liet-Kynes – arguably the most wise of all of Dune‘s characters, and the grandfather of the later God-Emperor – knows this: “When God hath ordained a creature to die in a particular place, He causeth that creature’s wants to direct him to that place.”

(...)

For the full, 5500 words analysis, please visit my blog Weighing A Pig Doesn't Fatten It ( )
  bormgans | Nov 4, 2019 |
World-building World-building World-building.

This is one of the best books I've ever read, and as such, I feel like I owe it a review. The only problem is whenever I think of what to say about it, none of the words come to me or make any sense. So I realized there's just a certain feeling you get with certain books/movies/games where the world is so well created and polished and interesting that you just feel it. You don't want to leave because you're too deep into the world. Anything else I could say has either been said or wouldn't do it much justice. If you like sci-fi or fantasy and don't mind a fairly large read, you have to give this a shot. ( )
  ZzAzZ | Nov 3, 2019 |

This is going to be a short review as I do not have the words to truly do the book justice. Dune is a classic for a reason. The story takes a good hard look at the human condition and wraps it in a scifi adventure story about a young man's fall and subsequent rise as the hero of a repressed people. There are so many great elements to the story which help it remain relevant every time I've read it. A concern for nature/ecology, environmental stress, philosophy, religion, morality, loyalty, corporate greed, social upheaval, the importance of family - the list goes on. There are even dragons and witches should the reader prefer a more fantasy-style tale than science fiction. Layers within layers within layers! It is these things that bring me to reread Dune every few years. I still thoroughly enjoy the experience. ( )
  Narilka | Oct 27, 2019 |
Not sure what to think of this book. Some of the world building is a bit suspect, and I couldn't work out why they didn't just import water to Dune. It was also fairly funny to read all these made up words and names, and then have the main character be called Paul. But it's a classic for a reason, and I'm glad to have finally read it. ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
Why is Blanch’s influence on Dune worth recognizing? Celebrating Blanch is not a means to discredit Herbert, whose imaginative novel transcends the sum of its influences. But Dune remains massively popular while The Sabres of Paradise languishes in relative obscurity, and renewed public interest in Blanch’s forgotten history would be a welcome development.

Isaac Asimov’s Foundation trilogy was famously inspired by Edward Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. J. R. R. Tolkien’s background in medieval languages helped shape the mythology of Middle Earth. Frank Herbert’s Dune is no different, and rediscovering one of the book’s most significant influences is a rewarding experience.

One of the monuments of modern science fiction.
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune

Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dune (1984IMDb)
Dune (2000IMDb)
To the people whose labours go beyond ideas into the realm of 'real materials' - to the dry-land ecologists, wherever they may be, in whatever time they work, this effort at prediction is dedicated in humility and admiration.
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct... from "Manual of Muad'dib" by the Princess Irulan
In the week before their departure to Arakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
The thing the ecologically illiterate don't realize about an ecosystem is that it's a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained miss the collapse until too late. That's why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences.
The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows — a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition. Languages known to have multiple-volumes: French, German,

Set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary fiefdoms are controlled by noble Houses that owe an allegiance to the Imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides and scion of House Atreides) as he and his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the spice melange, the most important and valuable substance in the universe. The story explores the complex and multilayered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion, as forces of the Empire confront each other for control of Arrakis and its spice.

AR 5.7, 28 Pts
Foretold one gets dumped
in desert, then goes native.
Returns, beats baddies!
(ed.pendragon)
Fear the mind killer
Worm vomit expands the mind
Kwisatz Haderach
(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,679,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible