Dune, 40th Anniversary Edition (Dune…

Dune, 40th Anniversary Edition (Dune Chronicles, Book 1) (original 1965; edition 2005)

by Frank Herbert

25,07736744 (4.3)3 / 688
Member:acersativa
Title:Dune, 40th Anniversary Edition (Dune Chronicles, Book 1)
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Ace Trade (2005), Edition: 0040-Anniversary, Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:*****

Dune by Frank Herbert (1965)

Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Patangel, JonTheTerrible, philAbrams)
    JonTheTerrible: The pace of these books are similar as well as the topics they cover: society and government. The science plays only a small role in both books but is present enough to successfully build the worlds in which the characters inhabit.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    The Faded Sun Trilogy by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Same basic sort of premise - SciFi set on desert worlds inspires the rise of a galactic empire, but very different outcomes!
    Gateway by Frederik Pohl (Vonini)
    The Word for World Is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Ecological science fiction.
    Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Both books are a subtle blend of science fiction and fantasy while being truly epic stories. Although Dune remains a superior literary achievement in my view, Silverberg's Majipoor series is a credible alternative.
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the description of the planet.
    A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski (Anonymous user)
    Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different in tone, but similar in scope, plus it's also about the lengths to which empires will go to maintain the status quo.
    The King Must Die & The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault (themulhern)
    themulhern: Young man with special powers and noble blood overthrows the established order through cunning and charisma. In the process he changes his people and then the rot sets in.
    The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Similar tropes in the form of human computers and a native species capable of granting youth, and the powerful woman trying to breed a special child- The Snow Queen seems on one level a response to Dune, taking many of the same elements and twisting them around, while going in quite different directions in other ways.… (more)
    The Lazarus Effect by Frank Herbert (d_perlo)
    d_perlo: So you have read Frank Herbert's Dune series and want more? Thy The Lazarus Effect, The Jesus Incident, and The Ascension Factor, also by Frank Herbert. This is his take on a water world.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    The Broken God by David Zindell (whiten06)
    whiten06: Another coming-of-age story with the protagonist gaining god-like knowledge through the use of hallucinogens.
    Singularity Sky by Charles Stross (hyper7)
    hyper7: Singularity Sky could have been set in the Dune universe.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    Beowulf's Children by Larry Niven (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Similar approach to exploring ecology of a fictional planet while adding to the mix of myth-inspired human interaction.
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (philAbrams)
    philAbrams: Little things that just add up, despite different major themes.
    National Lampoon's Doon by Ellis Weiner (TomWaitsTables)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: I once heard Harlan Ellison talking about how some works are unadaptable into film and he cited Dune and Moby-Dick And thinking about it, both works use their story telling as platforms for ruminations on well everything about life

1960s (12)
(2)

English (359)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (366)
You can also read this review here.

Plot:
My husband and I watched the sci-fi mini-series before we jumped into listening to this one and we liked that very much. The plot here is pretty much the same. The Atreides family is given an option to move to a desert planet named Arrakis and rule the planet. From the start they know that something is not right and they are being set up for failure however to refuse will make their suspicions known and will not help their situation. On the planet they are betrayed and Duke Leto, head of the family dies. Now his mistress, Jessica, and their son, Paul, are on the run. The Atreides loyalist are scattered over the planet and far from each other they must all do what is necessary to try to survive. Paul and his mother will team up with unlikely allies known as the Fermin and they must prove their worth if they are to survive.

Characters:

I enjoyed the characters in this story very much although it is hard at times to find them realistic. I feel like the author tried a little too hard to make the Arteides family be superior to everyone else. Even without the necessary skills at times, they somehow find a way out of trouble.

Writing:

This is where I had the hardest time. The story is an old story. The book was originally published in 1965. In the old days some science fiction books and stories had a weird diction to them that was never realistic. Despite having evidence that language was evolving to be less complicated and more colloquial, the diction used in this book just seems overly complex and unnatural. It made it really hard to accept it as a normal but seemed very alien. Perhaps that’s what the author was going for but in this day, it’s just not as appealing. ( )
  kayjenx | Sep 14, 2016 |
This richly detailed story is an engrossing read. There is a lot of world building in the front of the book, but it is worth the ride. Dune has a lot of layers, similar to Martin's Game of Thrones and Jordan's Wheel of Time. This is actually my second read of the book. I read the first time around when I was in high school. I remembered I liked it, and reread it with a book club. I am glad I read it again. I'm at a different point in my life and got some very different things out of it. To me, this is the sign of a good book. I'll probably read it again at some point down the road. ( )
  EllsbethB | Sep 3, 2016 |
awesome as ever ( )
  mystic506 | Sep 3, 2016 |
I have just finished reading Dune and I have to say that I know that I seriously hate sci-fi and as much as I wanted to love this book or at least like it but I did not. I was bored throughout the book and felt like the book would never end and the only good thing about these challenges is that sometimes you are thrown into a book that you might not like and you actually fall in love with it. This time it was far from that.

If I had to compare this book to something it would probably be Lord of the Rings in which I Hated with a passion. Not only was this book dull when it did get excited you had to live with the fact that half the decent people were gone and you had to get to know new characters. While this can be entertaining at times this time I do not think that it worked for me.

I think there was way too much in the story and found myself wanting to breath in between scenes because as soon as I finally figured something out it was over. As a woman I was actually surprised at how the author really really put us as a statue within the story. What I mean by this is the job of the women throughout the story was to make the men look good. I am not sure that we had any other part within the story. I was a little taken aback by the story and the way that women were looked at.

You may say to me that I have read and liked other books where women have been treated much worse but for some reason I just did not like it and I did not like Paul. This book will not hit my too-read shelf and I probably would never pick up any more of the series. I truly truly did not like this book.

Now what I did care for is that this author can write a story so 2 stars for me. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
A stunning science fiction novel which is truly timeless. The references to ecological understanding of not only our local community but the entire planet, could not be more appropriate, the fremen religion is similar to the more positive aspects of the mysterious religion. This may else also be a little frightening to some who regard Islam's widespread popularity as a threat to western civilization, but there is the orange catholic bible and benegeserit sect of witches. The ancient atomic war and the fear of computers enslaving humanity as it once tried before are single themes familiar to science fiction but the combination of them in novel is beautiful. The main character in this novel is a the young Duke of one of the great families of the empire that the known universe had become. If you are looking for a good introduction to the book the 1986 version features a narrated introduction by the narrator of the novel, princess Irulan, daughter of the padashah emporer of them known universe.

The writing may not be spectacular but it delivers such a Frank story with little poetry that is somehow far from dry (no pun intended). ( )
  knotbox | Jun 9, 2016 |
As it faces its 50th anniversary, Dune may seem to be a story fading into the past. But I suspect there’s life in Frank Herbert’s masterpiece yet. ... But even 50 years after they reached their pinnacle, it’s Frank Herbert’s skills as a storyteller that will keep Dune alive for many decades to come. Because if there is one truly immortal thing in the universe, it’s a great story.

A portrayal of an alien society more complete and deeply detailed than any other author in the field has managed...a story absorbing equally for its action and philosophical vistas.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post Book World

One of the monuments of modern science fiction.
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune

Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dune (1984IMDb)
Dune (2000IMDb)
To the people whose labours go beyond ideas into the realm of 'real materials' - to the dry-land ecologists, wherever they may be, in whatever time they work, this effort at prediction is dedicated in humility and admiration.
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct... from "Manual of Muad'dib" by the Princess Irulan
In the week before their departure to Arakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
The thing the ecologically illiterate don't realize about an ecosystem is that it's a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained miss the collapse until too late. That's why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences.
The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows — a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition. Languages known to have multiple-volumes: French, German,
Set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary fiefdoms are controlled by noble Houses that owe an allegiance to the Imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides and scion of House Atreides) as he and his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the spice melange, the most important and valuable substance in the universe. The story explores the complex and multilayered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion, as forces of the Empire confront each other for control of Arrakis and its spice.

AR 5.7, 28 Pts
Foretold one gets dumped
in desert, then goes native.
Returns, beats baddies!
(ed.pendragon)
Fear the mind killer
Worm vomit expands the mind
Kwisatz Haderach
(amweb)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441013597, Paperback)

Dune is one of the most famous science fiction novels ever written, and deservedly so. The setting is elaborate and ornate, the plot labyrinthine, the adventures exciting. Five sequels follow. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:37 -0400)

This Hugo and Nebula Award winner tells the sweeping tale of a desert planet called Arrakis, the focus of an intricate power struggle in a byzantine interstellar empire. Arrakis is the sole source of Melange, the "spice of spices." Melange is necessary for interstellar travel and grants psychic powers and longevity, so whoever controls it wields great influence. The troubles begin when stewardship of Arrakis is transferred by the Emperor from the Harkonnen Noble House to House Atreides. The Harkonnens don't want to give up their privilege, though, and through sabotage and treachery they cast young Duke Paul Atreides out into the planet's harsh environment to die. There he falls in with the Fremen, a tribe of desert dwellers who become the basis of the army with which he will reclaim what's rightfully his. Paul Atreides, though, is far more than just a usurped duke. He might be the end product of a very long-term genetic experiment designed to breed a super human; he might be a messiah. His struggle is at the center of a nexus of powerful people and events, and the repercussions will be felt throughout the Imperium. Dune is one of the most famous science fiction novels ever written, and deservedly so. The setting is elaborate and ornate, the plot labyrinthine, the adventures exciting.… (more)

4 2075

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,242,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible