Dune, 40th Anniversary Edition (Dune…

Dune, 40th Anniversary Edition (Dune Chronicles, Book 1) (original 1965; edition 2005)

by Frank Herbert

22,82431953 (4.31)3 / 599
Member:acersativa
Title:Dune, 40th Anniversary Edition (Dune Chronicles, Book 1)
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Ace Trade (2005), Edition: 0040-Anniversary, Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:*****

Dune by Frank Herbert (1965)

1960s (6)
Unread books (1,397)
    Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Patangel, JonTheTerrible)
    JonTheTerrible: The pace of these books are similar as well as the topics they cover: society and government. The science plays only a small role in both books but is present enough to successfully build the worlds in which the characters inhabit.
    The Faded Sun Trilogy by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Same basic sort of premise - SciFi set on desert worlds inspires the rise of a galactic empire, but very different outcomes!
    Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Both books are a subtle blend of science fiction and fantasy while being truly epic stories. Although Dune remains a superior literary achievement in my view, Silverberg's Majipoor series is a credible alternative.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Gateway by Frederik Pohl (Vonini)
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the description of the planet.
    Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different in tone, but similar in scope, plus it's also about the lengths to which empires will go to maintain the status quo.
    The Lazarus Effect by Frank Herbert (d_perlo)
    d_perlo: So you have read Frank Herbert's Dune series and want more? Thy The Lazarus Effect, The Jesus Incident, and The Ascension Factor, also by Frank Herbert. This is his take on a water world.
    The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Similar tropes in the form of human computers and a native species capable of granting youth, and the powerful woman trying to breed a special child- The Snow Queen seems on one level a response to Dune, taking many of the same elements and twisting them around, while going in quite different directions in other ways.… (more)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Beowulf's Children by Larry Niven (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Similar approach to exploring ecology of a fictional planet while adding to the mix of myth-inspired human interaction.
    The Broken God by David Zindell (whiten06)
    whiten06: Another coming-of-age story with the protagonist gaining god-like knowledge through the use of hallucinogens.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    Singularity Sky by Charles Stross (hyper7)
    hyper7: Singularity Sky could have been set in the Dune universe.
    National Lampoon's Doon by Ellis Weiner (one-horse.library)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: I once heard Harlan Ellison talking about how some works are unadaptable into film and he cited Dune and Moby-Dick And thinking about it, both works use their story telling as platforms for ruminations on well everything about life
    The Iliad by Homer (benmartin79)
    benmartin79: Dune stands in a long tradition of epic stories. The Iliad is not the oldest recorded epic, but is perhaps the most widely read of all.

English (310)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (317)
Sweet sweetness. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
I read Dune for the first time in high school back in 1982, and it left an indelible and magical imprint on me. I gobbled the book up in three days and then proceeded through the entire series at the time. Now after thirty years, I have come back to re-read Dune, but with a completely different perspective - perhaps that is the point of age - and while the magic is gone, it is still a tremendous book. In fact the book is damn near prescient. The books asks me to consider some interesting and worrisome phenomenon. At the level of geopolitics, we root for Paul Muad'Dib as the youth born of privilege immersed into a desert culture of ascetism, and rails against an empire married to corporate rapaciousness, and then sets to conquer it through a Jihad. At the time the book was written, people claimed the book was loosely based on the life of Prophet Muhammed, which - as a Muslim made me feel proud - seemed pretty obvious.

Now 30 years later, we witnessed the emergence of Usama Bin Laden, his reign of terror, our War on Terror and his ultimate demise, and Dune means something different. Dune asks me (and the reader) to root for our protagonist Paul; but to me Paul actually mirrors the life and times of UBL; recall UBL was the very rich son of a Yemeni Industrialist, eschews his life of privilege for one of asceticism and adopts an extreme anti-Imperial and anti-Western (corporate) ideology. He creates a following of extremists bent on over-throwing the US and its interests - much like Paul finally taking on Emperor Shaddam IV. Obviously, I believe UBL was an abomination and a scourge on humanity and I am glad he got what he deserved. But the similarities to me are remarkable. In reality we root for our Emperor, CHOAM, and our Sardakaur troops as they fought in Iraq and Afganistan, hoping they would kill UBL, but was he Paul? What does Paul actually stand for in Dune? How is that different from now? I suppose even Robin Hood represents Paul, that who fought for the weak, robbed from the rich and gave to the poor, and takes on injustice in the form of governments. The fact that we root for Paul (as we do Robin Hood) and excoriate UBL, sitting in the bleacher seats of the empire, what does that say about us?

But Dune is also about humanity's evolutionary future, and what the human mind will become. In the Dune universe, the multi-generational selective breeding of the Bene Gesserit creates the Kwisatz Haderach - the male counterpart to a reverend mother - who can look into the past through humanity's germline to see the long view of history, and has the ability to see through time into the future. Paul represents the full potential of the human mind. Seeing physical reality as the past, present and future as one - like Einstein's block universe - Paul ties it all together. Humanity has achieved the omega point. Humanity has reached God-hood.

At the time Dune was written, there was no real biotechnology (at least it was still embryonic); PCR, cell line modelling, genetically engineered mammals, gene based therapy, anti-body therapy was not invented. We did not know that every human being can be traced back genetically through genes found in mitochondria of women only. We did not have the ability to clone mammals from genetic remnants-like Tlielaxu tanks (we are still not quite there yet for more ethical reasons than anything else, but the technology is there), and stem cell therapy was unknown. Yet Dune speaks to it through its story telling. Some of its ideas may seem antiquated now thirty years later, but so much more of it is truly prescient.
1 vote inasrullah64 | Sep 26, 2014 |
(review originally written for bookslut)

Dune had been calling me.

From the moment it arrived in a box full of books from my sister (I had lent it to her previously but I needed it back to review it for the 100 books list), it had been calling me.

Every single time I finished a book and wandered to the bookshelf to decide what to read next, it called me.

Why was I resisting? This is a good question. Part of it was just that I had read it before, and I knew that I loved it. I suppose I was saving it, to console me after reading a particularly painful book. There were also a lot of books on the list that were new to me, and I didn't want to jump straight into something I already knew. Something comfortable. I wanted to be challenged.

I also wanted to get some studying done. As soon as I gave in and picked up, I was gone, given over completely to it. Homework? Who cares! Time for bed? Who cares! Missed the bus and have to sit at the stop for half an hour before the next one comes? Yay!

One might think that a book I'm this familiar with would be easier to put down, but it was exactly the opposite. My mind was constantly jumping ahead to what was next, and I was eager to get there and read it again. Never mind that I've seen the movie over and over again. Never mind that my father read the book to my sister and me when we were younger, and that I had read it again myself as recently as two years ago. That's how much I love this book.

And what's not to love? Sure, there's the stupid macho pissing contest between House Atreides and House Harkonnen, which goes on for seemingly little reason, but that's small beans compared to all the wonderful things in this book.

First of all, I want to be a Bene Gesserit, okay? Forget "Jedi knight" as an alternative religion, the next time the census comes around I'm writing down Bene Gesserit. Lady Jessica is one of the most fascinating women in science fiction. She's incredibly powerful in many ways yet entirely powerless in others. She defies her superiors in an organization whose motto is "We exist only to serve." She does so in the hope of producing the Kwizatz Haderach, yet is horrified when it appears that this is exactly what she's done.

Her son, Paul, Usul, Muad'Dib, the Kwizatz Haderach, could be said to be the main character of the book (that is, if you don't assume that the main character is the desert planet itself.) As pointed out in Michael's recent review of Dune, Paul is a young fifteen when his father is assassinated and he and his mother are thrown out into the harsh desert in the middle of a planet-wide war. With only stillsuits to conserve their water, a bag of tools salvaged from a thopter crash, and their wits, Paul and his mother must dodge huge man-eating worms, avoid the perils of the desert, and befriend the "locals," the Fremen, who aren't usually given to showing kindness to those not born and raised in the desert.

Then there is the desert itself. Dune, the planet Arrakis. A planet on which there is no surface water to be found outside of the small frozen icecaps at the planet's poles. The planet which is the universe's only source of the spice, melange, which is what makes interstellar flight, amongst other things, possible. The entire human civilization depends upon the production of a resource constantly threatened by sand storms, politics, and the worms, which are always drawn to mining activity and will swallow a mining craft whole if it isn't rescued first. Wells that produce water mysteriously dry up within a few hours. And for a planet seemingly devoid of water, the air contains more water than would be expected.

Really, I could go on and on about Dune, and I think that I've rambled enough. Dune is unquestionably one of the best science fiction books ever written. It does not succumb to any of the usual limitations of the genre, instead it addresses so many larger themes in life it could make one dizzy. It is a science fiction novel not afraid of science, nor shying away from human nature and relationships.

And here I am raving again. Let me just say this: Dune is one of the most enjoyable and accessible books on the 100 books list. If you haven't read it yet, you should. If you are tempted to see the movie first, please see the movie and not the truly awful mini-series, for which my high hopes were dashed within the first thirty minutes (and I could not bring myself to watch it any longer.) Neither are terribly true to the book, but the movie at least gives a good feel for the themes and general plot of the book.

Please excuse me, it's time that I finally went and read the rest of the series. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
It was great rereading this book. It originally came out in 1965 and several awards and Hugos later still has a lot to say about religious fanaticism, ecology & environmentalism, monopolies and government corruption.

Not to give away the whole plot, but the book starts out rather innocently enough: Paul Atreides was the boy that should not have been. The Duke's consort, Jessica, was supposed to have a girl. Right there we have a reversal of traditional roles, which was fairly daring writing in 1965.

The Bene Gesseret is the school of mental and physical training for female students, after the destruction of machines and robots many years ago. Paul is a guy though, yet he is looked upon by the natives of the planet Arrakis as their next savior. He plays on that and develops it, especially when their family enemy, the Baron Harkonnen, destroys his father and family. Will there be revenge? How will he build his power base?

Frank Herbert builds a race and a planetary base that is so realistic and it's as if we were transported to this desert planet, where water is as precious as life; your stillsuit collects your body moisture and often you must drink your own body fluids or die.

The main part of the story deals with Spice or Melange, a drug that expands consciousness and is also the a rare substance only found on Arakkis. The sandworms may hold the key to its manufacture which cannot be synthesized.

There have been many books written since Dune, including a major motion picture (which you must read the book first to understand the film) as well as science fiction tributes (Star Wars has a desert planet Tatooine, and you can see a long skeleton on the surface -- a sandworm!).

I enjoyed the expressive writing, the glossaries and histories were very extensive, and after 90 generations of breeding, the Bene Gesserit would actually succeed or fail, depending on Paul Atriedes to close the gap between the Fremen and civilization. Paul though sees the future. Can he avoid the jihad that he keeps seeing in his future? Quite a novel!
  jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
Just as good as I remembered when I first read it many years ago. Herbert clearly understood the epic genre. I recently read that he began his plans for this story while visiting Oregon. He was visiting the coastal dunes in southern Oregon. Now I find myself intensely wanting to go there. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
A portrayal of an alien society more complete and deeply detailed than any other author in the field has managed...a story absorbing equally for its action and philosophical vistas.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post Book World

One of the monuments of modern science fiction.
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune

Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dune (1984IMDb)
Dune (2000IMDb)
To the people whose labours go beyond ideas into the realm of 'real materials' - to the dry-land ecologists, wherever they may be, in whatever time they work, this effort at prediction is dedicated in humility and admiration.
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct... from "Manual of Muad'dib" by the Princess Irulan
In the week before their departure to Arakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
The thing the ecologically illiterate don't realize about an ecosystem is that it's a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained miss the collapse until too late. That's why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences.
The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows — a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition. Languages known to have multiple-volumes: French, German,
Set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary fiefdoms are controlled by noble Houses that owe an allegiance to the Imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides and scion of House Atreides) as he and his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the spice melange, the most important and valuable substance in the universe. The story explores the complex and multilayered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion, as forces of the Empire confront each other for control of Arrakis and its spice.

AR 5.7, 28 Pts
Foretold one gets dumped
in desert, then goes native.
Returns, beats baddies!
(ed.pendragon)
Fear the mind killer
Worm vomit expands the mind
Kwisatz Haderach
(amweb)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441013597, Paperback)

This Hugo and Nebula Award winner tells the sweeping tale of a desert planet called Arrakis, the focus of an intricate power struggle in a byzantine interstellar empire. Arrakis is the sole source of Melange, the "spice of spices." Melange is necessary for interstellar travel and grants psychic powers and longevity, so whoever controls it wields great influence.

The troubles begin when stewardship of Arrakis is transferred by the Emperor from the Harkonnen Noble House to House Atreides. The Harkonnens don't want to give up their privilege, though, and through sabotage and treachery they cast young Duke Paul Atreides out into the planet's harsh environment to die. There he falls in with the Fremen, a tribe of desert dwellers who become the basis of the army with which he will reclaim what's rightfully his. Paul Atreides, though, is far more than just a usurped duke. He might be the end product of a very long-term genetic experiment designed to breed a super human; he might be a messiah. His struggle is at the center of a nexus of powerful people and events, and the repercussions will be felt throughout the Imperium.

Dune is one of the most famous science fiction novels ever written, and deservedly so. The setting is elaborate and ornate, the plot labyrinthine, the adventures exciting. Five sequels follow. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:32 -0400)

Follows the adventures of Paul Atreides, the son of a betrayed duke given up for dead on a treacherous desert planet and adopted by its fierce, nomadic people, who help him unravel his most unexpected destiny.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,009,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible