dismiss

Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie

Welcome to Temptation (2000)

by Jennifer Crusie

Series: Dempsey (1)

Sophie Dempsey wants to help her sister film a video and then get out of Temptation, Ohio. Mayor Phin Tucker wants to play pool with the police chief and keep things peaceful. But when Sophie and Phin meet, they both get more than they want. Gossip, blackmail, adultery, murder, vehicular abuse of a corpse, and slightly perverse but excellent sex: all hell breaks loose in Temptation as Sophie and Phin fall deeper and deeper in trouble, and in love.… (more)
Recently added byrena40, Carmelreader, private library, Skylark918, darkingsaunt
    The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot (annefenwood)
    annefenwood: A lighter contemporary romance with a bit less 'bite' than Crusie
    Murphy's Law by Lori Foster (irmgard06)

Entertaining! ( )
  Janicemo | Aug 19, 2018 |
Welcome to Temptation is the first of the Dempsey series by Jennifer Crusie. Wow - what a hot read. I'd been told beforehand that the book got rather steamy, but I still wasn't expecting the amount of sex within it. Brilliant plot, though, and quite a fun murder mystery. Can't wait to see how the next one is. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Sweet, light and funny. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |
So it took me ages to find this edition! Finally.

I wanted to review this book, but I couldn't quite remember what it was called. ... which doesn't bode well for my review, because I couldn't even remember the name, but anyway!

I read this book in high school and I did enjoy it. It was really light and fluffy. The female character was a little bit flat for me. It was quite funny, and readable - I read it all the way through, even though I didn't completely love it, or even like it. The book seemed to be missing something, though, and I couldn't put my finger on it, and I can't put my finger on it now. And from memory, the sex scenes were a bit of a non-event? The plot was non-threatening, in a way that when you read, you know whatever goes wrong, it'll be okay, so you don't have to worry.

Which is good, because you can relax while you read it, but unfortunate, because it means I don't get attached to the characters.

This book was enough to distract me from school, but forgettable enough that I had trouble remembering the name.

2.5 stars from me. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Yes, I am addicted to Crusie's books.
See publisher's blurb for clues to the plot, but the situational and conversational humor are the best part of any Crusie novel. Well, and, of course, the characters.
This is another that I started with the paperbacks until they kept wandering off, then I bought the audio.
Aasne Vigesaa has the characters and emotions down to a science, and that is great for us listeners! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jul 5, 2016 |

Jennifer Crusieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Siaurodinė, SandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vigesaa, AasneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote the story myself. It's about a girl who lost her reputation and never missed it.
- Mae West
For
Meg Ruley,
the world's greatest agent,
who believed in this book
when it was called
Hot Fleshy Thighs;
and for
Jennifer Enderlin,
the world's greatest editor,
who said, "Why don't we get another title?"
and then waited with the patience
of a thousand saints
until it was done.
Sophie Dempsey didn't like Temptation even before the Garveys smashed into her '86 Civic, broke her sister's sunglasses, and confirmed all her worst suspicions about people from small towns who drove beige Cadillacs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,377,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible