Stella, star of the sea

Stella, star of the sea (edition 1999)

by Marie-Louise Gay (Author), Marie-Louise Gay (Illustrator)

Series: Stella (1)

Member:jianlittle
Title:Stella, star of the sea
Authors:
Other authors:Marie-Louise Gay (Author), Marie-Louise Gay (Illustrator)
Info:Toronto ; Buffalo : Douglas & McIntyre, c1999.
Collections:Canada, Fantasy, Picture Books, Pre-2000
Tags:imaginative, exploration, very young reader

Stella Star of the Sea by Marie-Louise Gay

This was a very cute book. It reminded me of going to the beach when I was a kid with all of my cousin. We used to play in the ocean for hours and dig for oysters when the tide went out. Nothing quite compares to the magic of the beach when you're a child--and Stella and Sam are just beginning to uncover all it has to offer. ( )
  KelseyAnnB | Dec 7, 2013 |
Beautiful illustrations, funny storyline.
  arielbui | Oct 6, 2013 |
The first in a series of picture-books detailing the adventures of siblings Stella and Sam, Stella, Star of the Sea follows the two children as they spend a day at the shore. Lively, enthusiastic Stella is anxious to introduce her little brother to the wonders of the sea, but timid Sam finds it all rather overwhelming. It's so big, and so noisy! His seemingly endless series of questions - "Are there any sea monsters? Where do starfish come from?" - are answered in an imaginative and subtly reassuring way by Stella, until she finally asks a question of her own...

An engaging brother-sister tale, enhanced by charming watercolor illustrations, this lovely little book is also an exuberant tribute to the delights of a summer day at the beach. Gay's palette is bright, but never garish, and her figures have a cartoon-like oddness (very thin legs, and rather "blobby" torsos) that is somehow quite endearing. I can't say that I enjoyed Stella, Star of the Sea quite as much as some of my friends, but I can definitely see the appeal, and plan to look for other titles in this series, when the opportunity presents itself. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 19, 2013 |
I love the pictures in this book and, living in the midwest, it reminds me of our vacations at the beach. ( )
  InDreamsAwake | Apr 5, 2013 |
I had high hopes for this book–attractive cover, cute synopsis about a brother and sister who visit the ocean, the brother for the first time. And yet…”eh.” While the little boy’s attempts to avoid actually going in the water are entertaining, and his questions amusing, the overall story fell a little short for me. I might add this to a collection about ocean life, but it wouldn’t be one of the first I’d promote. ( )
  novalibrarymom | Mar 31, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0888999925, Paperback)

Marie-Louise Gay's squat, snub-nosed children with their frenzied locks are as familiar to under-fives as the wild things of Maurice Sendak. In Stella, Star of the Sea (which won a Governor General's Award for illustration), the gifted picture-book artist introduces the irresistible duo of Sam and his spirited older sister, Stella. "Stella and Sam were spending a day at the sea shore," Gay begins this playful celebration of summer, adding, "It was Sam's very first time." Stella is an adventurer, eager to dive to the ocean floor, tame sea horses, and dig a hole to China, but her little brother, Sam, is made of more cautious stuff. When Stella, looking out at the sea from the top of a delightfully round sand dune, exclaims, "Isn't it beautiful, Sam?" he observes with a characteristic deadpan, "It's very big... and noisy."

Gay humorously contrasts the children's impressions of the sea in pictures and dialogue that capture Sam's experience of its frightening enormity, as well as Stella's joy in its secret treasures. To fend off the prospect of a swim, Sam keeps asking Stella anxious questions like "Does a sea horse gallop?" Stella's replies are as authoritative as they are imaginative: "'Yes!' cried Stella. 'And you can ride a sea horse bareback.'" Gay's whimsical watercolors show Stella swimming alongside tropical fish and holding onto the back of a child-sized pink sea horse, while Sam hangs behind, a tiny speck in a water ring on the distant shore. Ultimately, of course, Stella's irrepressible enthusiasm wins over Sam's sober hesitancy, and in the final image of this charming picture book the two of them float happily in a luminous blue green sea. (Baby to age 4) --Lisa Alward

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:49 -0400)

Stella and her little brother are spending the day at the sea.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,366,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible