The Snowman by Raymond Briggs

The Snowman (1978)

by Raymond Briggs

Robot Dreams by Sara Varon (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Another magical wordless masterpiece.

Summary:
This children's book is about a little boy who made a snowman in the snow one day. One evening, the little boy realizes that his snowman he made is magical. The little boy and the snowman take off on an adventure through the night and become best friends.

riendship, fun, and flying
Review:
This children's book reminds me a lot of Frosty the Snowman. This book is full of friendship, fun, and flying and I think children would love it. The illustrations in the book are excellent and make the book so much better. They really do capture the essence of the story. ( )
  mnorth2 | Oct 21, 2014 |
My favorite book from childhood. Still brings a tear to my eye. ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
A beautiful book with dreamy, soft illustrations which captures the imagination and feeling of both winter and youthful innocents. Using themes of imagination and adventure, the book tells the story of a young boy who dreams his snowman comes to life and the two share a short but touching friendship.

I really enjoyed this book. I have vague memories of first encountering it when I was much younger but I had forgotten about it. Now I see how the sweeping imagery and artful illustrations create a dreamy feeling that is appropriate, both in capturing that feeling of winter but also of youthful imagination. Each image has a resonance or emotional tone that is amazing conveyed without words. As an adult, I could sit and look at each one for many minutes, admiring the artistry and beautiful simplicity. ( )
  abrial2433 | Mar 17, 2014 |
Summary- The Snowman is a picture book for children that has no words throughout the whole book. Each page has several pictures about how a little boy starts building a snow man and one day he comes to life and they become best friends. The little boy and the snowman do everything together that winter and at the end of winter the snowman melts and the little boy watches as the snow floats away into the night.

Personal Reaction: When I was around 10 years old I lived in Indiana with my parents. It had snowed a lot that winter and our dad took us out to go sledding on the backside of our house. The hills were covered with white snow as far as the eye could see. We took turns sledding down the hill, it was the best winter I can remember as a child .

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1. I would have the children setting in a circle and we would discuss what they saw in each picture, until we finished the whole book.
2. On Friday I would have a cooking activity such as "Snowmen in a cup" It would consist of two scoops of vanilla ice cream in a clear cup. We would top it off with either strawberry or chocolate syrup, for the scarf, and a candy corn for a nose.
  mamacita9 | Feb 18, 2014 |
A boy makes a snowman and images an adventure
  AkiHicks | Dec 2, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394839730, Hardcover)

Who needs words to tell a story? In Raymond Briggs's charming tale, told with 175 softly hued, artfully composed frames, a little boy makes friends with a snowman. He wakes up on a snowy day, tells his mother he's going outside, then begins a flurry of snowman-building. That night, he can't sleep, so he opens the front door and lo! the snowman has come to life. The amiable yet frosty fellow enjoys his tour of the boy's cozy home; he admires the cat, but is disturbed by the fire. The boy shows him other wonders--the TV and a lamp and running water. Predictably perhaps, he is disturbed by the stove, but likes ice cubes quite a bit. Soon it is the snowman's turn to introduce the boy to his wintry world. They join hands, rise up into the blizzardy air--presumably over Russia and into the Middle East--and then safely back to home sweet home. The boy pops into bed before his parents get up... but when he wakes up the next morning he races outside only to find his new buddy's melted remains, scattered with a few forlorn lumps of coal. Since the book is wordless, you can make up any ending you want... like "Then, in a puff of pink smoke, the snowman recomposed himself and went to live in the boy's garage freezer." Or you could just resign yourself to a peaceful "And that was that." Raymond Briggs's The Snowman won the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award, and this wintertime classic continues to win the hearts of kids every year. (Preschool and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:55 -0400)

When his snowman comes to life, a little boy invites him home and in return is taken on a flight high above the countryside.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241141036, 0141340096, 0141339764

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,364,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible