THE STRAY DOG. 2002 Caldecott Honor Book. by…

THE STRAY DOG. 2002 Caldecott Honor Book. (edition 2001)

by Marc. From a True Story by Reiko Sassa. SIMONT

Member:DallasB60
Title:THE STRAY DOG. 2002 Caldecott Honor Book.
Authors:Marc. From a True Story by Reiko Sassa. SIMONT
Info:Harpercollins (2001), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover
Tags:Caldecott, picnic, pets

The Stray Dog by Marc Simont

Summary:
This book is a realistic fiction picture book about a family that gets a new pet dog. They go to a park to have a picnic on a Saturday, and a small dog is there. The children play with him and name him Willy. When the family drives home and the kids ask their parents if they can keep the dog, their parents say no. The next week they go back to the park and see Willy, but this time he is running away from a dog warden who explains that the dog does not belong to anyone since he does not have a collar or leash. The family then claims Willy as their own and takes him home. Willy was finally able to call a place his home.

Personal opinion:
I found this book to be an appropriate book for very young children. Most of the pages only contain a few sentences, which would be fairly easy for younger children to read and understand. The illustrations also helped tell the story and added more details than the text provided. This is a great book for children who have a love for animals and/or dogs. ( )
  lmr288 | Apr 4, 2015 |
This was a cute book that used simple outlined drawings and water colors to add light to each character or background. As a dog lover I loved how they rescued a dog and gave Willy a good home. Its a very short book, but it uses lots of pictures to tell the story rather than too many words. Some pages even don't have one word. This shows how the pictures were strong enough to stand alone to tell the story. This would be a great book for a parent to read to a child. It teaches about accepting others and doing whats right. This dog needed a home and they gave him the best one possible. Love it!
  TessaB28 | Mar 15, 2015 |
This cute story tells of a family that rescues a stray dog learns to love their new addition to the family. For children who love dogs, this story will engage them and catch their interest as they follow the dog's adventure. A winner of the Caldecott Winner the illustrations allow the reader to follow along the stray dog's adventure. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Mar 2, 2015 |
This is a very simplistic book on a family’s encounter with a stray dog and their development of compassion for an animal that wasn’t theirs. The family leaves the dog on it’s own due to it being a stray but their love for it makes them want to add the dog into their family.

Upon reading this book, it made me a little sad but at the same time happy because I’ve lost a dog when I was younger. I loved that pup and I’ve always just thought that he was gone forever as either a stray or worse. This book gave me hope that he was found by a loving family and lived a good life. I love animals and wish I could help all strays, so this book is a good read for children in which it could inspire them to care for their pets more.

A field trip to an animal shelter if possible and learn about how to help strays in a safe way.

Create personalized collars for their pets and if they don’t have any pets, for their friends pets so if they ever get away, they’d know where to take them.
  MWsmith7 | Feb 11, 2015 |
Summary:
A Stray Dog tells the story of a family that goes on a picnic and finds a new friend that they are unable to forget. Luckily for all those involved, they decide to follow their hearts. The family returns to find the dog is in need of a home and a family. In the end, it is unclear how they ever got along without each other.

Personal reaction:
This book is very near and dear to my heart. I am reviewing this book having had it read to me by my daughters multiple times as they were growing up. There are so many dogs in need of good homes. The love and fulfillment that we receive is irreplaceable. We don’t save them, they save us! I find this book perfect and a favorite at my house from the very first read.

Extension ideas:
In a classroom I would like to have the children write about how the dog came to be living at the park, this could be done orally for younger children and they could draw a picture. For older children, this could be a writing extension.
I could use the book to talk about what is required for animals to be cared for properly. We could discuss appropriate ways to treat them and what is required for optimal health and well being. This could lay the groundwork for a classroom pet. ( )
  Lena_Krenzke | Jan 26, 2015 |
It was a great day for a picnic.

This story is retold and illustrated by Marc Simont based on a true story by Reiko Sassa. It is a Caldecott Honor book for its illustrations. The story centers around a family who see a stray dog while on their picnic. They think about him all week and go back the following week. But Willy is being chased by the dog warden.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:21 -0400)

When a little dog appears at a family picnic, a girl and boy play with him all afternoon. They name him Willy. At day's end, they say good-bye. But the dog has won their hearts and stays on their minds. The following Saturday the family returns to the picnic grounds to look for Willy, but they are not alone-- the dogcatcher is looking for him, too!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,710,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible