THE STRAY DOG. 2002 Caldecott Honor Book. by…

THE STRAY DOG. 2002 Caldecott Honor Book. (edition 2001)

by Marc. From a True Story by Reiko Sassa. SIMONT

Member:DallasB60
Title:THE STRAY DOG. 2002 Caldecott Honor Book.
Authors:Marc. From a True Story by Reiko Sassa. SIMONT
Info:Harpercollins (2001), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover
Tags:Caldecott, picnic, pets

The Stray Dog by Marc Simont

This cute story tells of a family that rescues a stray dog learns to love their new addition to the family. For children who love dogs, this story will engage them and catch their interest as they follow the dog's adventure. A winner of the Caldecott Winner the illustrations allow the reader to follow along the stray dog's adventure. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Mar 2, 2015 |
This is a very simplistic book on a family’s encounter with a stray dog and their development of compassion for an animal that wasn’t theirs. The family leaves the dog on it’s own due to it being a stray but their love for it makes them want to add the dog into their family.

Upon reading this book, it made me a little sad but at the same time happy because I’ve lost a dog when I was younger. I loved that pup and I’ve always just thought that he was gone forever as either a stray or worse. This book gave me hope that he was found by a loving family and lived a good life. I love animals and wish I could help all strays, so this book is a good read for children in which it could inspire them to care for their pets more.

A field trip to an animal shelter if possible and learn about how to help strays in a safe way.

Create personalized collars for their pets and if they don’t have any pets, for their friends pets so if they ever get away, they’d know where to take them.
  MWsmith7 | Feb 11, 2015 |
Summary:
A Stray Dog tells the story of a family that goes on a picnic and finds a new friend that they are unable to forget. Luckily for all those involved, they decide to follow their hearts. The family returns to find the dog is in need of a home and a family. In the end, it is unclear how they ever got along without each other.

Personal reaction:
This book is very near and dear to my heart. I am reviewing this book having had it read to me by my daughters multiple times as they were growing up. There are so many dogs in need of good homes. The love and fulfillment that we receive is irreplaceable. We don’t save them, they save us! I find this book perfect and a favorite at my house from the very first read.

Extension ideas:
In a classroom I would like to have the children write about how the dog came to be living at the park, this could be done orally for younger children and they could draw a picture. For older children, this could be a writing extension.
I could use the book to talk about what is required for animals to be cared for properly. We could discuss appropriate ways to treat them and what is required for optimal health and well being. This could lay the groundwork for a classroom pet. ( )
  Lena_Krenzke | Jan 26, 2015 |
Summary:
The Stray Dog is about a family that goes on a picnic and finds a stray dog with no leash or collar. The kids want to take him home, but the parents say no. After a week goes by the family goes back to have another picnic. They see the stray dog again except this time someone is trying to take him to the pound because he doesn't belong to anyone. The kids spoke up and claimed the stray dog was theirs, and after that he was.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed the book myself because I have taken in two dogs that people have dumped off in the country, and now those dogs belong somewhere and have a home. I think kids would really enjoy the story because its about a dog, and some kids might have gotten their own dog by saving a stray.

Classroom Extensions:
1. You could teach the kids about always wanting to keep collars on their own dogs so people know who they belong to.
2. We could talk about stray dogs and how some people don't want their dogs anymore so they will drop them off places. We could talk about different ways of helping stray dogs.
3. We could go on a field trip to an animal shelter and visit some stray dogs.
  KristenLaSorsa | Jan 18, 2015 |
Summary - I think this is an interesting book because it shows that these kids really wanted to keep this stray dog "Willy". It turned out that they weren't allowed to keep the dog and then when they saw the dogcatcher they kind of told a lie and said it was their dog so the dogcatcher wouldn't take it away. Even know they lied it shows that they had feelings and cared about this stray dog.

Personal Reaction - I think these kids have a heart and they knew that they didn't want the dog at the pound. They thought up something real fast even though they lied they did it for a good reason.

Classroom Extension ideas -
1. Draw a picture of a dog.
2. Draw a picture of a park with a dog. ( )
  JennaJ | Sep 30, 2014 |
It was a great day for a picnic.

This story is retold and illustrated by Marc Simont based on a true story by Reiko Sassa. It is a Caldecott Honor book for its illustrations. The story centers around a family who see a stray dog while on their picnic. They think about him all week and go back the following week. But Willy is being chased by the dog warden.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:21 -0400)

When a little dog appears at a family picnic, a girl and boy play with him all afternoon. They name him Willy. At day's end, they say good-bye. But the dog has won their hearts and stays on their minds. The following Saturday the family returns to the picnic grounds to look for Willy, but they are not alone-- the dogcatcher is looking for him, too!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,791,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible