Power to Save the World: The Truth About…

Power to Save the World: The Truth About Nuclear Energy

by Gwyneth Cravens

Daughter read this book for her Biology debate and told me that it may change my opinions about the right kind of energy to use in the future...so here I am. After finishing the book in two days, I have to say...I'm impressed. Gwyneth Cravens presented a very complex and scary subject(in most people's mind, including mine) in a way that is fun and simple to read. She addressed every fear that we have, including waste disposal, safety, radiation, cost, cancer risk..., about nuclear energy (which most were speculation) and convinced me and most readers that this IS the best option. It's not only the best, but the only option that we have for energy generation for now....in order for our children and grandchildren to continue to enjoy the world as we do...

There are many surprising facts about nuclear energy, as well as the alternatives, that she presented in her book. The ones were the most shocking was that if we use nuclear energy to power all our need, in our whole life, the amount of waste would fit perfectly in a SODA CAN. I also learned the cost, the pollution, the danger, and the space and cost that are required to use other forms of energy production, including wind, sun, water and our present fuels. There's just no other way that would produce enough energy to power what we need, which increases exponentially yearly, with lowest cost and the least pollution. This book definitely opened my eyes..and my narrow-mindness, and I'd recommend it to everyone I know. We need to educate our children early, so they're not fed with fear and the wrong information. ( )
  lovestampmom | Aug 8, 2013 |
For anyone who is truly concerned about the environment and is willing to accept that we've been given a bunch of feel-good bones while oil and coal manufacturers politically maneuver our leaders and the media into positions that ensure their profits and bypasses any regulation to curb their underestimated environmental impact. At times, the book is a bit heavy-handed as Cravens dispels myths about radiation, nuclear power, nuclear waste, and the impact of the nuclear industry on the environment. Nevertheless, the science is sound. ( )
  wookiemonster | Apr 30, 2011 |
Informative, and readable but I couldn't conclude that it is completely even-handed. "In 50 years of operation, they have caused no deaths to the public" - that just isn't true. Check out "Idaho Falls" (ISBN 978-1550225624) for details on the SL-1 accident, which killed 3 US personnel. Human error will continue with nuclear power, resulting in radiation exposure and casualties, and it's important to consult several works to stay informed.

Some of the statements are difficult to square with international experiences. Chernobyl resulted in deaths. ( )
  frogman2 | Mar 17, 2011 |
This was an excellent read, and for me an important one. Although I became fairly overwhelmed with acronyms throughout, this book offers up a readable and logical argument for nuclear power as a viable alternative to fossil fuels. I picked this up after reading and becoming moved by "Nuclear Madness," which in retrospect appeals more to one's emotions than reason. I am not a scientist, and neither is the author. Her journey of understanding as she interviews scientists, details various nuclear facilities, reviews reports and statistics, etc. is in turn the reader's journey, not only to understanding more about nuclear energy, but about being open and flexible to new information. ( )
  mattmallard | Apr 20, 2010 |
I tried reading this, but I didn't find it entertaining enough to finish it. I had no real problem with the content or her arguments. My difficulty was that I was expecting fun non-fiction book. Lots of imformative books find a way to be entertaining, this one didn't and so was a slow and somewhat boring read.
  _Lana_ | Dec 6, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307266567, Hardcover)

Gwyneth Cravens on Why Going Green Means Going Nuclear

"Most of us were taught that the goal of science is power over nature, as if science and power were one thing and nature quite another. Niels Bohr observed to the contrary that the more modest but relentless goal of science is, in his words, 'the gradual removal of prejudice.' By 'prejudice,' Bohr meant belief unsupported by evidence."
--Pulitzer Prize-winner Richard Rhodes, author of the introduction to Power to Save the World: The Truth About Nuclear Energy by Gwyneth Cravens

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
--Marie Curie

My book is fundamentally about prejudice based on wrong information.

I used to oppose nuclear power, even though the Sierra Club supported it. By the mid-1970s the Sierra Club turned against nuclear power too. However, as we witness the catastrophic consequences of accelerated global temperature increase, prominent environmentalists as well as skeptics like me have started taking a fresh look at nuclear energy. A large percentage of the heat-trapping greenhouse gases, especially carbon dioxide, that thaw Arctic ice and glaciers comes from making electricity, and we rely upon it every second of our lives.

There are three ways to provide large-scale electricity—the kind that reliably meets the demands of our civilization around the clock. In the United States: 75% of that baseload electricity comes from power plants that burn fossil fuels, mainly coal, and emit carbon dioxide. Toxic waste from coal-fired plants kills 24,000 Americans annually. 5% comes from hydroelectric plants. Less than 1% comes from wind and solar power. 20% comes from nuclear plants that use low-enriched uranium as fuel, burn nothing, and emit virtually no CO2. In 50 years of operation, they have caused no deaths to the public.

When I began my research eight years ago, I'd assumed that we had many choices in the way we made electricity. But we don't. Nuclear power is the only large-scale, environmentally-benign, time-tested technology currently available to provide clean electricity. Wind and solar power have a role to play, but since they’re diffuse and intermittent, they can't provide baseload, and they always require some form of backup--usually from burning fossil fuels, which have a huge impact on public health.

My tour of the nuclear world began with a chance question I asked of Dr. D. Richard ("Rip") Anderson. He and his wife Marcia Fernández work tirelessly to preserve open land, clean air, and the aquifer in the Rio Grande Valley. Rip, a skeptically-minded chemist, oceanographer, and expert on nuclear environmental health and safety, told me that the historical record shows that nuclear power is cleaner, safer, and more environmentally friendly than any other form of large-scale electricity production. I was surprised to learn that: Nuclear power emits no gases because it does not burn anything; it provides 73% of America's clean-air electricity generation, using fuel that is tiny in volume but steadily provides an immense amount of energy. Uranium is more energy-dense than any other fuel. If you got all of your electricity for your lifetime solely from nuclear power, your share of the waste would fit in a single soda can. If you got all your electricity from coal, your share would come to 146 tons: 69 tons of solid waste that would fit into six rail cars and 77 tons of carbon dioxide that would contribute to accelerated global warming. A person living within 50 miles of a nuclear plant receives less radiation from it in a year than you get from eating one banana. Someone working in the U.S. Capitol Building is exposed to more radioactivity than a uranium miner. Spent nuclear fuel is always shielded and isolated from the public. Annual waste from one typical reactor could fit in the bed of a standard pickup. The retired fuel from 50 years of U.S. reactor operation could fit in a single football field; it amounts to 77,000 tons. A large coal-fired plant produces ten times as much solid waste in one day, much of it hazardous to health. We discard 179,000 tons of batteries annually--they contain toxic heavy metals. Nuclear power's carbon dioxide emissions throughout its life-cycle and while producing electricity are about the same as those of wind power. Nuclear plants offer a clean alternative to fossil-fuel plants. In the U.S. 104 nuclear reactors annually prevent emissions of 682 million tons of CO2. Worldwide, over 400 power reactors reduce CO2 emissions by 2 billion metric tons a year.

I wanted to know if what Rip was telling me was true. He took me on a tour of the nuclear world so that I could learn firsthand its risks and benefits. I visited many facilities, talked to many scientists in different disciplines, and researched the conclusions of the National Academy of Sciences and various international scientific bodies. As I learned more, I became persuaded that the safety culture that prevails at U.S. nuclear plants and the laws of physics make them a safe and important tool for addressing global warming. Clearly many of my beliefs had originated in misinformation and fear-mongering.

I've now met many people dedicated to saving the environment while supporting nuclear power as well as other green resources. This path is only logical. Nuclear power is the only large-scale, non-greenhouse-gas emitting electricity source that can be considerably expanded while maintaining only a small environmental footprint. If as a society we're going to reduce those emissions, we'll need every resource to do so, and we'll have to set aside our ideological blinkers, look at the facts, and unite to meet the greatest challenge humanity has ever faced.

The power to change our world does not lie in rocks, rivers, wind, or sunlight. It lies within each of us.

--Gwyneth Cravens

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:20 -0400)

"In This Timely Book, Gwyneth Cravens takes an informed and clarifying look at the myths, the fears, and the truth about nuclear energy." "With concerns about catastrophic global warming mounting, it is vital that we examine all our energy options. Power to Save the World describes the efforts of one determined woman, Gwyneth Cravens, initially a skeptic about nuclear power, as she spends nearly a decade immersing herself in the subject. She teams up with a leading expert in risk assessment and nuclear safety who is also a committed environmentalist to trace the path of uranium - the source of nuclear fuel - from start to finish. As we accompany them on visits to mines as well as to experimental reactor laboratories, fortress-like power plants, and remote waste sites normally off-limits to the public, we come to see that we already have a feasible way to address the causes of global warming on a large scale." "In the end, we see how nuclear power has been successfully and economically harnessed here and around the globe to become the single largest displacer of greenhouse gases, and how its overall risks and benefits compare with those of other energy sources." "Power to Save the World is an eloquent, convincing argument for nuclear power as a safe energy source and an essential deterrent to global warming."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible