Catch Of The Day by Kristan Higgins

Catch Of The Day (edition 2007)

by Kristan Higgins

Member:Julia1605
Title:Catch Of The Day
Authors:Kristan Higgins
Info:HQN Books (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:2010, contemporary romance, contemporary, romance, chick lit, Gideon's Cove, Maine, USA, reporter

Catch of the Day by Kristan Higgins

This is laugh-out-loud funny at times, a light-hearted story of a woman who owns a diner on the coast of Downeast Maine. In her 30's, she feels her biological clock ticking away at the same time she has a serious crush on the local priest. A twin with a close-knit family, Maggie loves her community but is ready to settle down. Too bad her hot romance is with a non-talker whom everyone thinks is churlish and gloomy. ( )
  sleahey | Feb 17, 2014 |

I kept imagining Neil Flynn as Malone for some reason....

Anyway! Let's do a quick run through the rapsheet:

Things I liked: Maggie to an extent. I liked how Maggie dealt with pain. And even grief. The easy relationship between her Christy. How supportive she is of her Mum even though she has a very antagonistic relationship with her.

Things I didn't like: The strong, silent kind is fun but Malone seems to be an extreme even for those so, Malone. Father Tim. And how all of Kristan Higgins' heroines are treated like shit by their exes.

It fulfills its purpose without making me roll my eyes. It has passed.

P.S - The 2 stars are for Colonel. RIP. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
I was once again surprised by the sweetness of Kristan Higgins' books. This one was a little heavier on the internal dialogue of the heroine (Maggie) than I would have liked, and less so on the connection and the romance between her and Malone. At the same time, I liked what did develop, not to mention the laugh out loud moments. I also liked the unexpected ending for Chantal, and the storyline about Maggie's parents. The secondary characters were all pretty enjoyable as well.

The sour notes that took it down to a 3.5 for me were what I felt was some unnecessary meanness about a couple of Maggie's dates as well about Chantal and the rather abrupt ending. After several hundred pages of Maggie's thoughts (and that's mostly what it was since Malone was so very silent), it would have been more satisfying to have her be able to enjoy the HEA a little bit more than she did. In fact, I felt like Chantal's story got a happier ending than Maggie's did, just because we had more time to enjoy it. I was also a little annoyed that we didn't get a better explanation of why Malone reacted so horribly to Maggie's cooking for him. I felt there had to be something more behind it than what we finally got, which was...nothing.

With that all said, I kept wanting to go back to it. So, overall, that's a major positive for me. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Oct 15, 2013 |
Feel like such a sap, but there were a few tears in the middle of this one. Loving her writing. ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |
This is the story of Maggie and Malone. When you grow up in a small town with a twin, it's hard to stand out. When Maggie accidentally falls in love with the new priest, she knows she needs some help. Malone is the scary guy that docks his boat next to her brother, but could he actually be the one?

This is a heart-warming story of love and loss. When you hit rock bottom, the only way is up - right? If you're looking for a tale with a quirky girl and a broody guy, this is the book for you! ( )
  AquarianDancer | Sep 8, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373772246, Mass Market Paperback)

This catch of the day could be the dish of a lifetime!

First Date à la Maggie
Take one lovelorn diner owner (me)
A generous helping of nosy local gossips
A dollop of envy at married sister's perfect life
A splash of divine intervention (my matchmaking priest)

Combine ingredients with one adorable puppy, add a strong but silent lobsterman with a hidden heart of gold . . . and watch the sparks fly.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:35 -0400)

A lovelorn diner owner, with the help of nosy gossips and some divine intervention, meets her match in a strong but silent lobsterman who sweeps her off her feet.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,990,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible