A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (1962)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (1)

24,34460045 (4.1)2 / 900
Recently added byzholsopple, SPLENDING, percipiowiebke, private library, brthompson, agumuc2, RitaW61, adjresse
    A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Time is a key component in both of these compelling, coming-of-age fantasies with complex plots centered on girls who share absent fathers and the struggle to save the life of a boy near-and-dear to them.
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Anjali.Negi)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Anjali.Negi)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (Anjali.Negi)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle (fugitive)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
1960s (3)
Aliens (10)
Unread books (1,008)

English (596)  Dutch (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All (600)
In this book, Meg and Charles Wallace are sent on a mission to find their father, who has been missing and not responding for a long time. Several non-human characters guide them to begin their mission as they are joined by a neighbor boy, Calvin. In their journey, Charles Wallace is taken captive by IT, while Meg, Calvin, and their recently rescued father escape. Once Meg gets well after some poor tessering that sent her through the Black Thing, she is sent back to the planet alone to save Charles Wallace from IT. In the end, the family and Calvin is able to return home safely.
This book is primarily a fantasy book because it involves time travel, teleporting-like space travel, and unrealistic powers. For example, IT can control people by getting them in sync with his rhythm, matching their breathing and heart beat to his. Also, teleporting through time and space is impossible.
*Note: This book contains the word "ass" once as well as many direct references to God and quotations from the Bible.
  khofer15 | May 23, 2017 |
A richly imaginative story who mixes science into the tale interestingly. Well developed characters and beautiful descriptions. A book adults to would enjoy! ( )
  Wilwarin | May 23, 2017 |
This book was a little confusing but turned out to be a very good book. During the book, the main character learns about believing in herself and standing up and being a leader when she needs to. ( )
  Devin_Woodall | May 1, 2017 |
Meg Murray, her brother Charles Wallace, and her classmate Calvin meet Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which when they feel called to go to an old house near their town. They are taken on a time travel journey to rescue Meg and Charles Wallace's father. They encounter the IT, which is telepathically taking over the planet Camazotz. Before finding Dr. Murray, Charles Wallace is controlled by IT, leaving Meg and Calvin to find Dr. Murray on their own. After finding Dr. Murray, they work together to rescue Charles Wallace.
This novel would be considered a science fiction novel, as it explains time travel and other scientific events as if they were scientifically possible
  klum15 | Apr 24, 2017 |
SWEDISH REVIEW

Jag såg filmen A Wrinkle in Time för en hel del år sedan, men jag kan inte säga att jag minns så mycket av den. Jag var nyfiken på den eftersom den klassas som en ungdsomklassiker. Men jag måste erkänna att jag har svårt att se storheten med den, det kan vara så att den på 60-talet gjorde stort intryck på läsarna, men för mig kändes berättelsen lite fattig, den saknar ett djup.

Själva idén med boken, att böja verkligheten, att "tessra", och kampen mot mörkret var intressant, men jag fängslades aldrig riktigt av berättelsen. Visst, det fanns intressant ögonblick i boken, men helhetsintrycket kunde ha varit bättre. Mitt största problem trots den intressanta starten var att jag inte fann något vidare flyt i berättelsen och det betydde att det tog 3 dagar för mig att läsa klart boken, trots att den var rätt tunn. Tursamt nog så var Fru Vadå, Fru Vem och Fru Vilken i boken intressanta, och de gjorde boken läsvärd.

Jag gillade böja tiden idén, och om bara berättelsen hade haft en större djup, och om barn karaktärerna hade varit mer intressanta och minnesvärda så hade nog jag gillat boken mer.

Tack till Modernistaför recensionsexemplaret!

ENGLISH REVIEW

I saw the movie A Wrinkle in Time for a lot of years ago, but I cannot say I remember much of it. But, I had never read the book, so I was curious to see how it would turn out since it's a classic. I must admit after reading A Wrinkle in Time that I find it difficult to see the grandeur of it, it may be that in the 60s it made a big impression, but for me, the story felt a bit poor, it lacks depth.

I liked the idea of the book, the bending of reality (Tesseract), and the fight against the darkness was interesting. But, I felt that the story never really grabbed hold of me, there were interesting moments, but overall it just didn't turn out to be as good as I had hoped it would. My biggest problem despite the interesting start was that I found no fluency in the story, and it meant that it took three days for me to finish reading the book, even though it was pretty thin. Fortunately, I liked Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Whatsit and they made the in the book interesting and worth reading.
But, still the idea of the book was interesting, I liked the idea of bending time, and if only the story would have had a greater depth and the children hade been more developed and memorable, then it would have been really interesting to read.

Thanks to Modernista for the review copy! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 17, 2017 |
"A Wrinkle in Time" is confusing the first time you read it, but after a while it becomes amazing. The characters are so relate-able and I found myself greatly in the character of Meg. During the book, she learns about believing in herself and standing up and being a leader when she needs to. I believe that love and believing in yourself and the people you care about is also the theme of the story. The plot is believable as well, or at least as believable as a modern fantasy book's plot can be. It follows a very good story line that is engaging and suspenseful. First, Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin are going to find Meg and CW's father, but then they find their father and CW gets captured. The whole time CW had been built up as the be all end all of characters. He is the smartest and the bravest, but now it is up to Meg to save him and in order to do so, she has to believe in herself. I cannot get over how much of myself I see in Meg. I think that is why I love this book so much, because a girl with mousy brown hair, big glasses and an awkward personality got to be the heroine if a story and if she can do that, then so can I.

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barrett, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, HopeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitland, AntonyContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raskin, EllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsist, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:42 -0400)

Meg Murry and her friends become involved with unearthly strangers and a search for Meg's father, who has disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government.

4 1980

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,442,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible