A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (1962)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (1)

21,74851561 (4.1)2 / 824
    A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Time is a key component in both of these compelling, coming-of-age fantasies with complex plots centered on girls who share absent fathers and the struggle to save the life of a boy near-and-dear to them.
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle (fugitive)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (sturlington)
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
1960s (3)
Unread books (1,081)

English (510)  Dutch (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (514)
This date in 1993 is really just one of many re-reads; I think I first read it in about 1980 or so. ( )
  tygress | Jun 29, 2015 |
I've read this novel many times, but this time I listened to an unabridged audio read by the author. It was a fantastic way to experience one of my favorites. ( )
  tygress | Jun 29, 2015 |
It has been years since I read A Wrinkle in Time and it still holds up well on re-reading it. I care about Meg and her fierce love of her family. Calvin is there, steady and rock-fast. And Charles Wallace is so well drawn, with his intellect and his love. As I read the book as an adult, this quotation caught my mind:

“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”

I do like the message there and the message in the book. While written for young adults, the book is worth visiting or revisiting as an adult. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jun 22, 2015 |
I re-read this book again recently, it was almost just as good as I remember it. I absolutely adored it when I read it back in fifth grade because it talked about a lot of concepts I was unfamiliar with. I guess now, after reading books like Hawking's A Brief History of Time, it doesn't present me with that wow factor that it once did. Nonetheless, it still has that little bit of magic in it that any adult reader should still have in their hearts. Love still conquers all, but only after jumping through time and space and meeting a whole bunch of other worldly creatures. A worthwhile read! ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
2011, Random House Audio, Read by Hope Davis

Book Description: adapted from Amazon.ca
It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger.

"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me sit down for a moment, and then I'll be on my way. Speaking of ways, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract."

A tesseract (in case the reader doesn't know) is a wrinkle in time. Miss L'Engle's unusual book, winner of the Newbery Medal in 1963, is the story of the adventures in space and time of Meg, Charles Wallace, and their friend, Calvin O'Keefe as they search for Meg's father, a scientist who disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government on the tesseract problem.

My Review:
Fantasy is not so much my thing, but L’Engle’s treatment of time here is admittedly captivating. Love the characters, and, what’s more, I love that L’Engle is writing intelligent fiction for children. Hope Davis is superb as narrator. ( )
  lit_chick | Jun 13, 2015 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raskin, EllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”

The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsist, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:42 -0400)

Meg Murry and her friends become involved with unearthly strangers and a search for Meg's father, who has disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,947,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible