dismiss

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (1)

30,22878162 (4.06)4 / 1066
Meg Murry and her friends become involved with unearthly strangers and a search for Meg's father, who has disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government.
    A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Time is a key component in both of these compelling, coming-of-age fantasies with complex plots centered on girls who share absent fathers and the struggle to save the life of a boy near-and-dear to them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Anjali.Negi)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (Anjali.Negi)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    Toby Alone by Timothée de Fombelle (fugitive)
    Weave a Circle Round by Kari Maaren (Aquila)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Anjali.Negi)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
1960s (3)

English (776)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  English (Middle) (1)  German (1)  All languages (781)
This book was mentioned on Episode 1 of Checking Out. Listen here! ( )
  rachelreading | Apr 20, 2020 |
I found myself enjoying this much more than I thought. It’s not a book I would have liked a kid, but it really resonated with me as an adult. L’Engle hints at gray spaces, where we don’t have answers or things aren’t clear and easy, yet we must press on anyway, which really sings to me at this moment in my life. Read it, no matter how old you are. ( )
  hestapleton | Apr 14, 2020 |
Read w The 5th Grader. Mondo chill read, though wind in door might have the edge tbh...
  theodoram | Apr 7, 2020 |
This book is about Meg Murry, a high school girl who travels through space and time with her friend Calvin and brother Charles. They are trying to save her father who is being held captive on another planet by the Dark Thing. Meg has to discover a weapon she possesses to defeat the evil forces that are imprisoning her father. This is an amazing book that requires some deeper thinking to fully understand the book. To help students understand this book a teacher can do leveling reading passages and book review or chapter reviews to help them understand what's going on. This book is by far one of my favorites and really grasps the readers attention. MUST READ! ( )
  Madeleine_Collins | Apr 6, 2020 |
I haven't read this since I was 8 years old, so 35 years ago… It can be dangerous to go back to those books, and my real surprise was that I remembered the cover more than I remembered the story (the same goes for A Swiftly Tilting Planet). I was surprised by how well it held up and also that the clearly religious allegory didn't bother me much (I tend not to like that and have had a harder time returning to Narnia for that reason). The ending rushes in rather quickly, but the questions raised about free will, the individual, community, and family would hold for young readers just as well today, I should think, and the book was most free of the unhappy surprises around race, ethnicity, and so forth that too often come from reading things written 66 years ago (although the book still holds to a surprisingly firm gender dynamic).

I listened to the audiobook, and the performance was quite good. ( )
  james.d.gifford | Apr 4, 2020 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barrett, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, HopeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitland, AntonyContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. "What did she mean? How could she have known?" [p.27]
Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashioned plane geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points. [p.75]
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"

Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsit, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,305,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible