A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (1962)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (1)

21,51350261 (4.1)2 / 809
    A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle (fugitive)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (sturlington)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
1960s (3)
Unread books (1,023)

English (498)  Dutch (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (502)
When I first read A Wrinkle in Time as a child, I was oblivious to the influence L'Engle's faith has on her writing. Considering I grew up very Catholic, I'm surprised I didn't pick up on it at the time. The degree to which Christian theology is woven into the series is never offensive - L’Engle writes about faith in a Christian setting, but in a way that’s applicable to anyone - but makes the story seem a little clunky and heavy-handed (much in the same way as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe). Nevertheless, I do like Meg's character... If ever I have a daughter, I would like for her to have more role models like her. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 23, 2015 |
This is a science fiction novel about a girl named Meg, a boy named Kelvin, Megs little brother Charles Wallace, Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Witch, and Mrs. Who. Meg begins to fail her grade. People start to say bad things about Charles Wallace since he is a very strange boy. Their father has been missing for a whole year. One night, there was a storm. Meg couldn't sleep so she decided to go down stairs and get somthing to eat. But somhow her little brother already knew that she was going to go downstairs. He had already made a sandwich for her; that was our first glimpse as Charles Wallace's intuition. Soon, Meg's mother woke up to find them two eating at the table when suddenly they hear somone at the door. Megs mother goes outside and brings in a mysteryous old lady named Mrs. Whatsit. Mrs. Whatsit leaves, but suddenly she tells Meg that she knew where her father was. Meg and Charles Wallace go on an amazing adventure where they end up time traveling. They must fight the dark thing in order to save their father. ( )
  karleesampson | Apr 20, 2015 |
I feel funny about reviewing A Wrinkle In Time because everyone but me has probably already read it and has formed their own opinion on it. So instead, I’ll write about what the intergenerational book club my sons’ and I are in did when we discussed the book. My boys are eight and ten years old and both of them really liked the book. My ten year old went on to read the next two books in the quintet. I read most of the book aloud with my eight year old son. I’m glad we did it that way because there were some words he didn’t understand. There were even some words that I didn’t know the definition of!

I was in charge of snacks for our meeting. We try to have snacks that are somehow related to the book. I brought Ruffles potatoes chips because Ruffles have ridges. Ridges = wrinkles! I also brought liverwurst and crackers because the kids in the book eat liverwurst sandwiches. I thought it would be funny to see if any of the kids tried it. My sons didn’t and were disgusted that I brought it in the first place. Another boy tried it and loved it! He ate several slices. His mom and I were both a little queasy watching him eat it.

For an activity, I brought shoestring licorice and Sour Patch Kids. In the book there is an illustration of what it looks like when an ant crosses a wrinkle in time. We made our own wrinkles with the licorice and the Sour Patch Kids crossed over it. And then of course the kids got to eat their project.

The kids in the book club all gave the book a thumbs up. I give it a thumbs up too but at the same time I don’t have the urge to read the rest of the books in the quintet. One of my reading goals for this year is to read more of the classics or the books that are on the many “Books You Must Read Before You Die” lists. I’m glad I was able to cross this book off and I’m really glad I read it. ( )
  mcelhra | Apr 20, 2015 |
Pretentious and boring. :-( ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Read to us by the 5th-grade teacher. Outside. How lucky was I! And I've read it a couple of times since. It is def. old, and some of the themes have been done better elsewhere. But just imagine being young, naive, sitting on the grass in the sun, listening to an enthusiastic teacher sharing this with a whole class of kids. What an impact that teacher made on me! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raskin, EllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsist, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:48 -0400)

Meg Murry and her friends become involved with unearthly strangers and a search for Meg's father, who has disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,750,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible