A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (1962)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (1)

21,62150961 (4.1)2 / 813
    A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle (fugitive)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (sturlington)
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
1960s (3)
Unread books (1,637)

English (505)  Dutch (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (509)
Read a review of the audio version of this 1963 Newbery Medalist here: http://rdg301library.blogspot.com/2012/12/1963-newbery-medalist.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
I love this book! I had not read it for many years, but it holds up well. ( )
  mfdavis | May 20, 2015 |
Summary: Meg's father has been missing for a year. Until the arrival of Mrs Whatsit, there was nothing she could do. Meg, her brother, and Charles Wallace travel the tesseract-a wrinkle in time- in search of their father. Ultimately, they succeed with the power of love on their side.

Personal Reaction: I enjoyed this book especially as the plot developed a bit more. My first experience I thought it had taken off kind of slow, but now I think that was due to details my younger self had not seen.

Class Extension: Students could use this as a circle talk book. Discussing character development, taking note of sequential events, and develop theories or speculations about other characters and events they feel did not have enough detail.
  KaitlynBlevins | May 6, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. This was not the first time I had read the book, I read it when I was in grade school and absolutely despised. However, when reading it to look at the literary elements and the development of plot and characters, the book was not terrible. Science Fiction is not a genre I am particularly interested in, so this is where the mixed feelings come into play. However the language throughout the book was very descriptive and the author made you feel as though the events were realistic, even though they were far from possible. The character development throughout the story was the one thing that kept me particularly interested. Meg was a very relatable character who was troubled, yet brilliant. The book was very slow in the beginning but the adventure leaves the reader wondering what will happen next due to the many conflicts faced throughout the book. The chapter book has no illustrations, but the description throughout the text allows you to still visualize what was occurring. Overall, I enjoyed the book much more the second time I read it and could see it being a good read for middle school students interested in Science Fiction. ( )
  agates5 | May 4, 2015 |
I'm pretty sure that I read this book when I was a kid, and thought it was great, so a week or two I checked the audiobook out of the library, and it just wasn't as good as I remembered. The beginning chapters were great, but I was put off by the flat, monotone portrayal of the worlds the characters visited. The good vs. evil conflict also lacked subtley. The ending was also strong. Too bad about those middle chapters. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raskin, EllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsist, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:48 -0400)

Meg Murry and her friends become involved with unearthly strangers and a search for Meg's father, who has disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,294,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible