A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (1)

20,93647369 (4.11)2 / 781
Recently added byloonntac2, GriswoldFam, behemothing, Koenix, jonahspoelma, ellehmariat, private library, Wabbajack
1960s (3)
    A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle (fugitive)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)

English (468)  Dutch (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (472)
Weird. Very. WTFeird, I'd even say. Sorry fans, no offence. ( )
  NatalieAsIs | Oct 23, 2014 |
This is a very unique and enjoyable book. It was assigned reading for my sixth grade class, and most of the class enjoyed it. It is quite unlike any other children's story out there, following the adventures of siblings as they travel through time chasing their father, and encounter many creatures and realities along the way. It can be a bit heavy at times, and I recommend for children ages 12-15. I still enjoy the book as an adult, but it is best served with a child's imagination. ( )
  nphernetton | Oct 20, 2014 |
This was a very pretty little book. I liked the first half a lot - it had some nicely written parts, the characters were rather well drawn, and I didn't find the Christian themes terribly intrusive. Had to knock a star off for the second half though - it becomes very heavy-handed, morality-wise, not in an offensive way or anything, but it feels a bit tell-y rather than show-y. I really didn't like how abruptly everything was resolved. Rare book that could maybe have used an extra fifty pages. May or may not read the rest, given the state of my to read list it'll be a while... ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
I think it's quite sad that I didn't pick up A Wrinkle in Time when I was younger. I think a story like this is really something that you have to experience with the wonder-filled mind of a child, when your imagination is still rich and you can still believe in magic. That said, I still really enjoyed this story, and I thought it was one of the most wonderfully magical stories I had ever read--this coming from a serious Potterhead. Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which were all delightful to read about, and L'Engle's description of magical places and events is spot-on. I almost wanted to cry with the beauty of the planet Uriel and the creatures living there, and, even as an adult, I could really picture it in my mind.

A word of caution to prospective adult readers: we're not going for realism here, certainly not when it comes to the characters. Magic creatures aside, even the humans are unrealistic (except, perhaps, Meg), but not in an unpleasant way. They're all just very... nice, in a way that your average adult knows people aren't. But they're sweet and kind and you just have to love them, especially little Charles Wallace.

Another word of caution: if you're going to be uncomfortable with references to God and Jesus, this isn't for you. It's not a religious story, but there are certainly some clear Christian elements in there. As an atheist, I didn't find it to be over-the-top, but some might be more sensitive than I, especially if they happen to be reading it to young children in a secular home.

Also, can we all just take a moment to appreciate the beauty of Matt Mahurin's cover art on the 2007 edition, published by Square Fish? How could a person look at that and not want to read this?

Overall, I think that A Wrinkle in Time probably loses something if you only come to it as an adult, but it's still definitely worth the read if you're the kind of adult who still appreciates magic and watching young people learn and grow on a fantastic journey. I intend to read the rest of the Time quintet. ( )
  athenaharmony | Oct 5, 2014 |
I don't know if having heard and read so many raving reviews of this book magnified my disappointment in this read. Great concept, but the characters and the plot fell a bit flat for me and the book felt rushed or too short to properly give the story justice. ( )
  Sheeo | Oct 4, 2014 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raskin, EllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
In her attic bedroom Meg Murry, wrapped in an old patchwork quilt, sat on the foot of her bed and watched the trees tossing in the frenzied lashing of the wind.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsist, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:48 -0400)

Meg Murry and her friends become involved with unearthly strangers and a search for Meg's father, who has disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,405,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible