A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (1)

21,06648068 (4.1)2 / 788
1960s (3)
Unread books (1,174)
    A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle (fugitive)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)

English (475)  Dutch (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (479)
Not a big sci-fi fan. I really liked Charles Wallace at the beginning, but he seemed to fade out towards the end. The witches were kind of fun, other things seemed very trite. Okay read in the end. Not much to comment about with #1book140. ( )
  KymmAC | Nov 11, 2014 |
This book is the first book in a series. I only read this novel, but I think it would be best to introduce this to middle school grades. This honestly could be read to all elementary grades, but some of the content would go over students heads. This book is about a girl named Meg whose father is missing. Meg goes on a journey with her little brother, Charles Wallace, and a school friend named Calvin to find her missing dad. During this journey they are assisted by three witches and taken to a place where everybody dresses and acts the same. This aspect of the novel could be further discussed with middle school students and the concept of communism could be discussed. At the time this novel was written the Cold War Era Red Scare was occurring. Overall, it is a great fantasy read and takes students to a different world. ( )
  bmsherid | Nov 11, 2014 |
This is reviewed as part of my A to Z Blog Challenge.

This is one of the Puffin Modern Classics series and unusually I got the paperback, which was marginally cheaper than the Kindle edition. It says on the front cover ‘a masterpiece of science fiction’ and for a long time I wondered, as I felt the start was over-written, too flowery. Then I got well and truly drawn into the plot, and despite shades of 1984 and a few other alternate universe stories of the 1960s great SF writers, I concluded the cover was right. This is a masterpiece.

We find Meg Murry at school or home with her mother and brothers. At first it is hard to tell that the youngest brother is not an adult. He is strange, but this strangeness is something treasured by his parents and beautifully explained – as are Meg’s own foibles – as something he’ll grow into. I remembered one young friend of mine who similarly spoke in the most complete and grammatically perfect sentences from a very young age, and accepted Charlie Wallace (Meg’s brother) from then on.

Acceptance is one of the many themes in this book. Acceptance of who you are, and of people’s differences. As we follow Meg, Charlie Wallace and their friend Calvin to the planet of Camazotz in search of Meg’s father, we learn, as do they, that our differences are not only important to us, but also to our society, and even our world.

The book splits fairly evenly into two parts: understanding Meg at home with her mother and brothers, and the strangeness and mysteries in their lives, and the quest to find her father, through the Wrinkle in Time. There is a fair amount of science – from psychology through to quantum physics – in bite-sized chunks in this book, which I enjoyed. It’s not essential to enjoying the plot, but I reckon a good many young readers will enjoy it too. The ending is a little cliched nowadays, but it wouldn’t have been when the story was written.

One part I particularly enjoyed was the interaction with some planetary inhabitants who have not developed sight. Having recently debated with myself whether I could adequately include a deaf character in my books, I was fascinated not only by the story and descriptions of the people, but also the consequences for society, morals, and ways of doing things that would result from living without sight. I liked the way these beings concluded that sight was a limitation for Meg and her friends.

A Wrinkle in Time is only the first in the Time series. I enjoyed it immensely, but I don’t think I’ll follow up on the others. Although it has made me thoughtful; I’m still pondering some parts of the adventure. Maybe I’ll look them up later. It is a compelling book, one that I recommend highly, and it is definitely a classic. ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
A Wrinkle in Time is the story of Meg Murry, a high-school-aged girl who is transported on an adventure through time and space with her younger brother Charles Wallace and her friend Calvin O'Keefe to rescue her father, a gifted scientist, from the evil forces that hold him prisoner on another planet. Along the way the meet Mrs Whatsit, Who and Which as well as the concept of traveling by "wrinkling time" through a Tesseract. I had read this book when I was young and decided to reread as an adult. It was wonderful to rediscover Meg a very brilliant but flawed character. The surprising part for me was how spiritual the themes of the book were—I must have of glossed over them when I read this as a middle schooler (I probably was more fascinated by the sci-fi nature of the book). A great YA book—4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Nov 10, 2014 |
Summary:
This story is about Meg Murry a high-school-aged girl who is transported on an adventure through time and space with her younger brother Charles Wallace and her friend Calvin O'Keefe to rescue her father a gifted scientist from the evil forces that hold him prisoner on another planet. Her father has been missing for over a year.In the story the arrival of Mrs. Whatsit at the Murry house on a dark and stormy evening. Although she looks crazy she is actually a creature with the ability to read Meg's thoughts. She scares Meg's mother by telling her of the existence of a "wrinkle" in space and time. It is through this wrinkle that Meg and her friends will travel through the fifth dimension in search of Mr. Murry.

Personal reaction:
I read this story in my grade school and like to read it to my class.

Classrom extension ideas:
1. The class could write descriptions of fantasy lands or kingdoms and describe the characters (human and/or animal) that populate it.
2. The class could suggest possible technology for the future and describe its advantages and disadvantages. ( )
  christyb2020 | Nov 10, 2014 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raskin, EllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
In her attic bedroom Meg Murry, wrapped in an old patchwork quilt, sat on the foot of her bed and watched the trees tossing in the frenzied lashing of the wind.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsist, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:48 -0400)

Meg Murry and her friends become involved with unearthly strangers and a search for Meg's father, who has disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,985,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible