A Wrinkle in Time by madeleine lengle

A Wrinkle in Time (original 1962; edition 1962)

by madeleine lengle

23,10056449 (4.1)2 / 851
Member:indybr12
Title:A Wrinkle in Time
Authors:madeleine lengle
Info:Ariel Books (1962), Edition: Book Club (BCE/BOMC), Hardcover

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (1962)

A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Time is a key component in both of these compelling, coming-of-age fantasies with complex plots centered on girls who share absent fathers and the struggle to save the life of a boy near-and-dear to them.
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Anjali.Negi)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (Anjali.Negi)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Anjali.Negi)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle (fugitive)
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
1960s (4)
Unread books (1,058)

English (560)  Dutch (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (564)
This was one of the first full novels I ever read. It was recommended by the school librarian when I was a 6th grader. I remember a sense of awe and good feelings, but not what the book was about. ( )
  AveryBGoodman | Jun 26, 2016 |
Read it in one night. Couldn't make myself slow down, even though, this time, I think I got even more out of it. Such a wise fable.

So wonderful that it's enjoyable, and that the main theme of the power of love is understandable, for children as young as 8... and yet a 52 yo on her 4th or 5th reread is still moved, still feeling enlightened. I believe this book to be *highly* influential on the way I live, because I do focus on love, courage, and science, rather than on success or the material.

I have never been disturbed by the Christian references. After all, Jesus is listed in the same breath as Buddha, Confucius, Euclid, etc... the Seekers of Truth. I have always loved Mrs. Who's quotations. I have always wanted an Aunt Beast of my own. I have always been terrified of having my heart and mind controlled by a dominant power. I have always worn glasses and been thrilled to think that they could wield power. And I have always been satisfied that it's so cleanly told, so simple... no extra detail that doesn't touch on the themes (for example it's ok not to understand why IT wants control). This is such a timeless story.

This is *not* Time Travel. And it's SF in the same way [b:The Martian Chronicles|6130908|The Martian Chronicles|Ray Bradbury|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1372013212s/6130908.jpg|4636013] is. Neither concerns itself with the real plausibility of all the science, and yet neither is fantasy, as there's no magic. And still, it depends on the 'what if' and the exotic. In fact, these both exemplify for me the reason SF should, imo, stand for Speculative (not Science) Fiction.

If you liked The Martian Chronicles, or [b:The Golden Compass|119322|The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)|Philip Pullman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333617993s/119322.jpg|1536771] trilogy, you must read this. I'm confident that Pullman did. It did, after all, win a Newbery Award, even though that honor usually goes to historical, rather than speculative, fiction.

(Reread this time for the group Great Middle Grade Reads, will reread again for the Newbery Club in the group Childrens Books.) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A Wrinkle in Time is a book that managed to escape my TBR for a long time. Somehow... I went through school without really knowing about this story, and am sad it took this long for me to stumble across it.
Meg Murray is a character that I can relate with; she is odd-looking, stubborn, has slight anger issues, and is smarter than she gives herself credit. She struggles through school, I think for lack of understanding by her peers and teachers, and acts out in her own defense. She is hard on herself, because she doesn't believe she fits in anywhere. Her family, made up of like-minded intelligent people, but her family has become the focus of gossip in her town. Her father has disappeared, without a word, and the town has taken this as an ample opportunity to create stories of an affair, abandonment, and pity for the Murray's.
The children within the family cope, partly because of the strength of their mother. Mrs. Murray is a scientist that understands the passion that her husband has for his work. She also knows how much she and her family are loved by Mr. Murray and takes great pride in keeping herself together in his absence. His whereabouts are unknown and no letters have been received from him in months.
This absence is what ends up bringing together Meg, Charles Wallace (her younger brother), and Calvin (a new found friend) on an adventure. After meeting three witches: Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. Which, they take on a darkness, more evil than they could imagine. With the help of new found friends, places, and adventures they hope to bring Mr. Murray back home safely.
Madeleine L'Engle has captivated all ages with her fight for love, family, and truth. A book that will live on forever, I can't wait to read the rest of the set with my kids. ( )
  Literature_Owl | May 26, 2016 |
A Wrinkle in Time is a book about a girl named Meg and her friends, Charles Wallace, and Calvin. They have some mysterious visitors named Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. What. This book will take you through time and show you different planets. I liked this book because I could see vivid pictures in my mind. I felt like I was seeing this happen in front of my eyes and I think you will too. ( )
  AlexaB15 | May 22, 2016 |
When I had to read this in sixth grade I thought it was boring and that Charles Wallace was creepy and weird. Rereading, I think that it is boring, Charles Wallace is creepy and weird, and that I would welcome Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which with a shotgun if they ever appeared at my door. ( )
  amanda4242 | May 19, 2016 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, HopeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitland, AntonyContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raskin, EllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsist, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:42 -0400)

When an atomic physicist disappears on a secret mission, his son, daughter and their friend search for him, going on an interplanetary journey through time and space.

4 1902

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,876,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible