A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (edition 1973)

by Madeleine L'Engle

27,36571165 (4.07)3 / 1024
Member:b02l23p88
Title:A Wrinkle in Time
Authors:Madeleine L'Engle
Info:Yearling (1973), Paperback, 211 pages

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Time is a key component in both of these compelling, coming-of-age fantasies with complex plots centered on girls who share absent fathers and the struggle to save the life of a boy near-and-dear to them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Anjali.Negi)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (Anjali.Negi)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Anjali.Negi)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    Toby Alone by Timothée de Fombelle (fugitive)
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
1960s (3)

English (704)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  English (Middle) (1)  German (1)  All languages (709)
I am surprised I didn't like A Wrinkle in Time more than I did, it was an interesting story and I did care about what happened to the characters enough to finish it, but the writing style was very jumpy and didn't elaborate enough on important events. As a children's book I understand why the characters were written the way they were (naive and overtly childish despite two of them being teens) and why they said and did things as such, but it was annoying at times. Maybe if I had read this book as a child I would of found it great, but as an adult I just don't feel this is a book that carries over well to adult readers and I couldn't get in the right frame of mind reading to view from a child's perspective. I just had a really hard time getting into the novel and that feeling remain until I was done with it. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
I don't remember exactly how old I was when I last read this....but I'm going to guess I was probably around 8 or 9. So basically about 40 years ago. Yikes. What I remember most was that I thought it was a very odd book, and I'm going to say I didn't necessarily enjoy it, although looking back, I think it was more that I probably just didn't understand it. In hindsight, I suppose it was probably my first experience with science fiction, and while I don't dislike the genre now, it's not typically my first choice.

Re-reading it now, it obviously made a lot more sense to me. As I read, vague memories started coming back and I gained a better appreciation this time around. I liked the way science & religion blended together (although I don't remember the religious aspect from my reading as a youngster). Considering this was written in the early 1960's, I was surprised that it didn't seem nearly as dated as I would've expected it to. I originally re-read this in order to prep myself to watch the recently released movie. However, I've since read a lot of bad reviews of that, so I may skip the movie. There's apparently an older movie adaptation and I think I'll look for that one instead. ( )
  indygo88 | Oct 2, 2018 |
Huh . . . Well that was that.

I'm just not even sure what to think of this book. It was very unique - maybe too unique for my tastes. I just feel rather indifferent about it. :P ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
Beyond having a general overall sense of having liked this book, I don't have too much to say.

I enjoyed how L'Engle took science and physics and made it quite magical and I think it is a great read for children - I would have devoured this book if I had discovered it's existence when I was 12.

I may try the next one in the series to see where it goes. ( )
  LiteraryDream | Sep 30, 2018 |
summary: In this book, Meg and her brother Charles haven't seen their father in a really long time. They go on an adventure with 3 mysterious ladies to try and find him.
reflection: I'm not going to lie, it was really hard to pay attention to this book and keep reading it throughout, until the end. I like the idea of the book and I think that students would like the adventure that comes along with this book.
  dempseydee | Sep 23, 2018 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barrett, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, HopeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitland, AntonyContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsit, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:42 -0400)

Meg Murry and her friends become involved with unearthly strangers and a search for Meg's father, who has disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,597,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible