A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (original 1962; edition 1962)

by Madeleine L'Engle

22,83956753 (4.1)2 / 842
Member:wookiebender
Title:A Wrinkle in Time
Authors:Madeleine L'Engle
Info:Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group (1962), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 190 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:library book

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (1962)

A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Time is a key component in both of these compelling, coming-of-age fantasies with complex plots centered on girls who share absent fathers and the struggle to save the life of a boy near-and-dear to them.
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle (fugitive)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (sturlington)
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
1960s (3)
Unread books (1,029)

English (557)  Dutch (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (561)
I recently saw the movie version of this, which prompted me to dig out the tattered and much-loved paperback of `A Wrinkle in Time' which I have kept since grade school.

This is the story of Meg Murry, a misfit at school, her brilliant little brother, Charles Wallace, and Calvin O'Keefe, the unlikely star of the basketball team. These three meet an odd assortment of bedsheet-stealing old ladies, Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. Which. The ladies are not what they appear, and whisk the children away on a quest to find Meg and Charles' missing father on the far-away planet of Camazotz, where everyone is perfectly alike, to their detriment. L'Engle's deceptively simple prose evokes the warmth of love and the chill of fear with equal facility. If you have not read this, you are never too old. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
I'm not sure how, but I somehow avoided reading this book for my entire childhood, even though I have been reading pretty much constantly (with short breaks for eating, sleeping, and working) since I was 4, and this book would have been right up my alley! There is some solid sci-fi in here, as well as a good dose of Christianity (which I totally would not have noticed as a kid) and some pro-American / anti-communist mindsets. I was particularly into a nice little homage to Flatland, one of my favorite mathematically-based science-fiction books. The characters are types, but they are lovable types, and there is a lot to enjoy in Meg's journey towards independence and (of course!) the power of love. This is the first book in a short series, and I'm down for checking out the rest.

[full review here: http://spacebeer.blogspot.com/2016/04/a-wrinkle-in-time-by-madeline-lengle.html ] ( )
  kristykay22 | Apr 26, 2016 |
This is an oldie but goodie I've been meaning to read for a long time. It was definitely not what I expected. I believed "Wrinkle" was a fairy-tale like children's fantasy. Not so. I can easily understand why L'Engle's agent had a hard time placing this book in a genre. It is suitable for children, but plenty dense enough for adults (much like Harry Potter in that regard). But what this book is science fiction, plain and simple.

It was interesting to pick up on multiple elements in the plot that were later "borrowed" and used in science fiction works, both written and cinematic, in the fifty or so years that have lapsed since the book was first published. Truly a classic. ( )
  Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
I understand that this is a favorite of many people, but I have to say that it was not my favorite fantasy book, and fantasy books are my favorite genre. However, there are a few things I did like about the book. For example, the characters were very unique. Meg, the main character, has a brother named Charles Wallace who is almost like an old genius soul trapped in the body of a small boy. He is almost almost supernatural like in his dealings with others, whom he is able to read with almost clairvoyant accuracy. Despite this, he has to encounter his own struggles with his identity and overbearing confidence throughout the story. The character who made me not like the book as much was Meg. Meg is a whiny teenager who can't seem to reason or control her emotions. While I understand that she is going through a lot with school and her father missing, it's annoying to read the story through her viewpoint. However, she does have a lot of character development throughout the story which matures her. My favorite piece of the book is the different settings. The author does a magnificent job of imagining and describing far-off, made-up worlds for the reader to experience. For example, in a distant world, there are humans but they almost have no control of their emotions. They have to do exactly the same thing as everyone else, and if they defer then they have to be reprogrammed. The author's words made the planet come alive and seem almost plausible. The main idea of the novel is that love overcomes all, and our imperfections are what make us special. ( )
  ccalla8 | Apr 18, 2016 |
Media: words.
Use: sci-fi for boys.
Genre:sci-fi.

Good for those who like science fiction. It did win a Newbery. This gave me 'Brave New World' vibes. And that is not the best compliment, believe me. This novel shares of siblings searching for their father. I'm sure it has heart in there somewhere but I just couldn't feel it. I probably didn't read it in-depth enough. I don't like Lord of the Rings either. Will never be a big sci-fi fan. But I will always love Star Wars. That is a pure classic. Get the boys in your class reading that. ( )
  HannahChesnutt | Apr 15, 2016 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, HopeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raskin, EllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsist, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:42 -0400)

When an atomic physicist disappears on a secret mission, his son, daughter and their friend search for him, going on an interplanetary journey through time and space.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible