A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (original 1962; edition 1962)

by Madeleine L'Engle

23,62157147 (4.09)2 / 865
Title:A Wrinkle in Time
Authors:Madeleine L'Engle
Info:Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group (1962), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 190 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:library book

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (1962)

A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Time is a key component in both of these compelling, coming-of-age fantasies with complex plots centered on girls who share absent fathers and the struggle to save the life of a boy near-and-dear to them.
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Anjali.Negi)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Anjali.Negi)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (Anjali.Negi)
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle (fugitive)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
1960s (3)

English (567)  Dutch (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (571)
This is a story of a young girl who's father goes missing after working on a serious project called a tesseract. Supernatural beings transport Meg and her friends through the universe by the means of a tesseract.
  sehuff | Oct 26, 2016 |
This is such a great book! I remember reading it myself when I was in 5th grade and just how much I was imagining things. I would love to read this with my students one day. ( )
  Madima6781 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Meg Murry, her little brother Charles Wallace, and their new friend Calvin O'Keefe are brought on a time- and space-travelling adventure when her father goes missing and three beings known only as Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which enlist their help in rescuing him.

There's not much I can really say to add to what's already out there about this classic Newbery Medal-winning book. This is one of my favorite childhood books and while it has a touch of an old-fashioned feel in the deliberate way the story begins and the lack of cell phones, it holds up really well and is still enjoyable as an adult. I love that Meg is an average heroine: not anyone too special or with crazy abilities, but normal, with glasses and braces, and not particularly sure of herself. While I also love heroines who can do everything, this is the type of girl I could really relate to as a kid and young teen. I look forward to revisiting the next book in the series. ( )
  bell7 | Oct 17, 2016 |
This was one of my favorite books as a kid growing up and was introduced to it in school. I looked forward to getting to read it and each page was so very exciting. I would love to have this read in my class (for upper grades) and imagine students would love this book just as much as I did, because there is so much mystery and adventure that entails each page.
  MacyMoonshower | Oct 17, 2016 |

Davis, HopeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitland, AntonyContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raskin, EllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsist, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:42 -0400)

Meg Murry and her friends become involved with unearthly strangers and a search for Meg's father, who has disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government.

4 1937

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,822,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible