A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (original 1962; edition 1962)

by Madeleine L'Engle

22,94057151 (4.1)2 / 846
Member:wookiebender
Title:A Wrinkle in Time
Authors:Madeleine L'Engle
Info:Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group (1962), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 190 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:library book

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (1962)

A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle (gilberts)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Anonymous user)
    Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis (Proginoskes)
    When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Ciruelo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Time is a key component in both of these compelling, coming-of-age fantasies with complex plots centered on girls who share absent fathers and the struggle to save the life of a boy near-and-dear to them.
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (kkunker)
    What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt (Barb_H)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Anjali.Negi)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For the socially awkward girls who come into their own and fight against evil
    The Dream of the Stone by Christina Askounis (moonsoar)
    Moon Eyes by Josephine Poole (bmlg)
    bmlg: similar themes of the loving relationship between an awkward, insecure older sister and her odd younger brother, and her efforts to protect him from supernatural danger
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (SylviaC)
    Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle (fugitive)
    Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Manus Pinkwater (aaronius)
    aaronius: More comic, more Earthbound, but still fantastic writing with life lessons equally appropriate for intelligent youngsters and their parents.
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (Anjali.Negi)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Anjali.Negi)
    The Revolving Boy by Gertrude Friedberg (thesmellofbooks)
1960s (4)
Unread books (1,058)

English (561)  Dutch (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (565)
A Wrinkle in Time is a book that managed to escape my TBR for a long time. Somehow... I went through school without really knowing about this story, and am sad it took this long for me to stumble across it.
Meg Murray is a character that I can relate with; she is odd-looking, stubborn, has slight anger issues, and is smarter than she gives herself credit. She struggles through school, I think for lack of understanding by her peers and teachers, and acts out in her own defense. She is hard on herself, because she doesn't believe she fits in anywhere. Her family, made up of like-minded intelligent people, but her family has become the focus of gossip in her town. Her father has disappeared, without a word, and the town has taken this as an ample opportunity to create stories of an affair, abandonment, and pity for the Murray's.
The children within the family cope, partly because of the strength of their mother. Mrs. Murray is a scientist that understands the passion that her husband has for his work. She also knows how much she and her family are loved by Mr. Murray and takes great pride in keeping herself together in his absence. His whereabouts are unknown and no letters have been received from him in months.
This absence is what ends up bringing together Meg, Charles Wallace (her younger brother), and Calvin (a new found friend) on an adventure. After meeting three witches: Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. Which, they take on a darkness, more evil than they could imagine. With the help of new found friends, places, and adventures they hope to bring Mr. Murray back home safely.
Madeleine L'Engle has captivated all ages with her fight for love, family, and truth. A book that will live on forever, I can't wait to read the rest of the set with my kids. ( )
  Literature_Owl | May 26, 2016 |
A Wrinkle in Time is a book about a girl named Meg and her friends, Charles Wallace, and Calvin. They have some mysterious visitors named Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. What. This book will take you through time and show you different planets. I liked this book because I could see vivid pictures in my mind. I felt like I was seeing this happen in front of my eyes and I think you will too. ( )
  AlexaB15 | May 22, 2016 |
When I had to read this in sixth grade I thought it was boring and that Charles Wallace was creepy and weird. Rereading, I think that it is boring, Charles Wallace is creepy and weird, and that I would welcome Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which with a shotgun if they ever appeared at my door. ( )
  amanda4242 | May 19, 2016 |
Adventure through the time. Kids with scientist parents and a journey to find their lost father (who is lost in Time). It was a good book only that i read it little late in life to leave me astonished :)
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Madeleine L'Engle wrote books that my youngest daughter, Shayla, loved as a child (she's now in her mid-30's!); for that reason, they've been on my "must read" list for a very long time.

I was perusing my beloved library's Playaway book list (http://library.playaway.com/playaway) and there I found A Wrinkle in Time . . that told me that reading (listening to, to be more precise) that book was simply meant to be. It was duly checked out and I was off and running with Meg, Charles Wallace and Calvin . . enroute to a celestial adventure that would have me rewinding and fast-forwarding to make absolutely certain I didn't miss a thing!

I knew I was nearing the book's end . . the plot was coalescing nicely and I was - as I am wont to do - turning over a variety of "endings" in my mind when *BOOM* . . the Playaway went kaput! Yup, it quit/died/fizzled. Given the nature of the media, I had no idea how close I was to the end - a chapter? five chapters? twenty-three pages?!?!?! Egad!! . . what to do? WHAT TO DO!!

Well, I did the only thing I could do . . I braved weather that appeared to be the precursor to a hurricane and (almost) floated down the hill to the library!! Little did I know that the library was hosting an "event" on that dark 'n' stormy night . . tables had been moved, shelves rearranged, refreshment tables set up and there must've been eighty people, in a huge circle, folk dancing to the tune of a very skilled fiddler. Even greater than the fear that I'd be sucked in to the merriment as folks grabbed - willy nilly - any partner they could find . . I was terrified that the book (or any version of the book) would not be available. I was right about that; the librarian told me that the "graphic novel" version was the only one available on the shelf - however, it was nowhere to be found. *sigh*

I skidded 'n' slid back up the hill and - before I could descend into a pit of self-pity - I recalled that there were OPTIONS I'd not yet explored an, by cracky, one of them panned out - I was back in business!

In my life, things often happen as they do for a reason. As it happened, I was one chapter from the end of the Playaway version when it crashed, my one complaint about the Playaway version was the fact that it was a special version - read by Ms. L'Engle. To me, her voice (throughout the book) came across as shrill, "cranky", strident and downright irritating. The "optional" version was read by Hope Davis and I enjoyed it immensely.

I started from page one and, six hours eight minutes later, the adventure came to an end. This beloved "children's" book is revered for good reason; I'm looking forward to continuing the adventure(s) with Meg, Calvin and C.W.; A Wind in the Door has been added to my list of "must" reads! Highly recommended! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caruso, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, HopeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raskin, EllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charles Wadsworth Camp and Wallace Collin Franklin
It was a dark and stormy night.
"The tesseract--" Mrs. Murry whispered. What did she mean? How could she have known?

Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract...In other words, to put it into Euclid, or old-fashion plain geometry, a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
“Maybe I don’t like being different,” Meg said. “but I don’t want to be like everybody else, either.”
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
The middle beast, a tremor of trepidation in his words, said "You aren't from a dark planet, are you?"
Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace leave Earth in search of Meg's father, Mr. Murry. Mr. Murry is a scientist who has been missing since the birth of Charles Wallace, Meg's baby brother. Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Whatsist, however, assist the children in their journey by helping them to tesseract or wrinkle in time. They soon discover that their father has been detained by IT. IT tries to transform people into mindless robots. Will they be able to overpower IT? Will they be able to save their father?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312367546, Paperback)

Everyone in town thinks Meg is volatile and dull-witted and that her younger brother Charles Wallace is dumb. People are also saying that their father has run off and left their brilliant scientist mother. Spurred on by these rumors, Meg and Charles Wallace, along with their new friend Calvin, embark on a perilous quest through space to find their father. In doing so they must travel behind the shadow of an evil power that is darkening the cosmos, one planet at a time.

Young people who have trouble finding their place in the world will connect with the "misfit" characters in this provocative story. This is no superhero tale, nor is it science fiction, although it shares elements of both. The travelers must rely on their individual and collective strengths, delving deep into their characters to find answers.

A classic since 1962, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time is sophisticated in concept yet warm in tone, with mystery and love coursing through its pages. Meg's shattering yet ultimately freeing discovery that her father is not omnipotent provides a satisfying coming-of-age element. Readers will feel a sense of power as they travel with these three children, challenging concepts of time, space, and the power of good over evil. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:42 -0400)

When an atomic physicist disappears on a secret mission, his son, daughter and their friend search for him, going on an interplanetary journey through time and space.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,990,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible