Gone With the Wind [1939 film] by Victor…

Gone With the Wind [1939 film]

by Victor Fleming (Director), Ben Hecht (Screenwriter), Sidney Howard (Screenwriter)

Other authors: George Cukor (Uncredited director), Jane Darwell (Actor), Olivia De Havilland (Actor), Clark Gable (Actor), Ernest Haller (Cinematographer)12 more, Leslie Howard (Actor), Victor Jory (Actor), Evelyn Keyes (Actor), Vivien Leigh (Actor), Hattie McDaniel (Actor), Butterfly McQueen (Actor), Margaret Mitchell (Original book), Marjorie Reynolds (Actor), Ann Rutherford (Actor), David O. Selznick (Producer), Max Steiner (Composer), Sam Wood (Uncredited director)

A manipulative woman and a roguish man conduct a turbulent romance during the American Civil War and Reconstruction periods. (From IMDb) ( )
  DrLed | Nov 4, 2017 |
Set in the 19th-century American South. Scarlett O'Hara lives at Tara. She is the strong-willed daughter of a Georgia cotton plantation owner. Pursued by numerous beaux she imagines herself in love with Ashley Wilkes, who is to marry his cousin, Melanie Hamilton. When war breaks out she marries Charles Hamilton, but he dies of measles whilst serving with the Confederate Army. During the Battle of Gettysburg many of the men from Scarlett's town are killed and months later she is caught up in the Atlanta Campaign when the city is besieged by the Union Army. Confederacy blockade runner Rhett Butler helps her to escape the city along with Melanie and her newly born baby. They make it home, to find Tara still standing but pillaged by Union troops and the fields untended, her mother just passed from typhoid fever and her father suffering what seems like dementia. Scarlett sets her family and servants to work in the cotton fields and married Frank Kennedy in order to pay the taxes on Tara. When Frank is killed she finally marries Rhett, but things do not go smoothly, only the land will prevail.

Lovely to watch this classic movie yet again. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Jan 2, 2016 |
Amazon.com essential video
David O. Selznick wanted Gone with the Wind to be somehow more than a movie, a film that would broaden the very idea of what a film could be and do and look like. In many respects he got what he worked so hard to achieve in this 1939 epic (and all-time box-office champ in terms of tickets sold), and in some respects he fell far short of the goal. While the first half of this Civil War drama is taut and suspenseful and nostalgic, the second is ramshackle and arbitrary. But there's no question that the film is an enormous achievement in terms of its every resource--art direction, color, sound, cinematography--being pushed to new limits for the greater glory of telling an American story as fully as possible. Vivien Leigh is still magnificently narcissistic, Olivia de Havilland angelic and lovely, Leslie Howard reckless and aristocratic. As for Clark Gable: we're talking one of the most vital, masculine performances ever committed to film. --Tom Keogh
  schotpot | May 13, 2007 |

Rutherford, AnnActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Selznick, David O.Producersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steiner, MaxComposersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wood, SamUncredited directorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gerald O'Hara: Do you mean to tell me, Katie Scarlett O'Hara, that Tara, that land doesn't mean anything to you? Why, land is the only thing in the world worth workin' for, worth fightin' for, worth dyin' for, because it's the only thing that lasts.
Rhett Butler: I can't go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands.
Scarlett: As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.
Rhett Butler: You're like the thief who isn't the least bit sorry he stole, but is terribly, terribly sorry he's going to jail.
Rhett Butler: No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.
This LT work is for the 1939 movie version of Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it from Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel of the same name. Thank you.

Scarlett O'Hara is the daughter of a wealthy southern plantation owner. Ashley is the love of her life, but he is going to marry his cousin Melanie Hamilton. At a barbecue at Twelve Oaks, Scarlett meets Rhett Butler. News of the Civil War starting arrives at the barbecue. As the war continues, Scarlett becomes a widow, all while still pining for Ashley. After the war, Scarlett travels to her family's plantation only to find it in ruins, with no food, animals and her mother dead. Later, Rhett courts Scarlett and they get married and have a daughter, Bonnie. When Bonnie dies, Rhett goes mad. Then Melanie dies. Rhett feels that Scarlett will go to Ashley to be with him. Not understanding Scarlett's intentions, Rhett walks out on Scarlett.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,035,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible