The Invention of Everything Else by Samantha…

The Invention of Everything Else (edition 2008)

by Samantha Hunt

5173619,606 (3.61)1 / 104
Member:booketta
Title:The Invention of Everything Else
Authors:Samantha Hunt
Info:Houghton Mifflin Company (2008), Paperback
Collections:To read

The Invention of Everything Else by Samantha Hunt

English (35)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
My expectations for this book limited my enjoyment of it. I was really hoping for something more about Tesla and I understood that the book would really revolve around the relationship between Louisa, a housekeeper in the hotel that Tesla was living in at the end of his life, and Tesla, who had become something of a joke by that time. Hunt tries to do too much with this book; to accomplish what she wanted, the book would have had to be much longer. The writing is good and I learned a great deal about the age of discovery when the great inventors of the late 19th century were changing the way we live. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Couldn't finish ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Poetic & graceful. Metaphysical, metaphorical, and enlightening. Almost too short - I wanted to spend more time with the characters. It did, however, take some time to read, because there were no cliches, no shortcuts, no icons - everything had to be processed afresh by the fore-brain. I think I might have preferred no first-person narration, no present-tense and different fonts for different voices. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Tells the story of Tesla's last years in New York, outstanding, imaginative. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Hunt’s prose is spirited, witty, and—dare I say it—inventive, but it’s also pricked with doubt and the bare, cold fact of loss. Again and again, this novel reminds us that even our best creative energies fail more often than they succeed.

Everything that can be invented has been invented
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner,
U.S. Patent Office, 1899
For Joe
Lightning first, then the thunder.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 061880112X, Hardcover)

New York City thrums with energy, wonder, and possibility in this magical novel about the life of Nikola Tesla.

It is 1943, and the renowned inventor Nikola Tesla occupies a forbidden room on the 33rd floor of the Hotel New Yorker, stealing electricity. Louisa, a young maid at the hotel determined to befriend him, wins his attention through a shared love of pigeons; with her we hear his tragic and tremendous life story unfold. Meanwhile, Louisa discovers that her father—and her handsome, enigmatic love interest, Arthur Vaughan—are on an unlikely mission to travel back in time and find his beloved late wife. A masterful hybrid of history, biography, and science fiction, The Invention of Everything Else is an absorbing story about love and death and a wonderfully imagined homage to one of history's most visionary scientists.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:10 -0400)

"From the author of the debut novel The Seas comes this new novel about an unlikely friendship between the eccentric inventor Nikola Tesla and a young chambermaid in the Hotel New Yorker, where Tesla lives out his last days." "From the moment on New Year's Day 1943 when she first catches sight of the strange man who occupies a forbidden room on the 33rd floor, Louisa, enthralled by radio dramas and the secret lives of the hotel guests, is determined to befriend him. Winning Tesla's attention through a shared love of pigeons, Louisa - thanks to her finely honed snooping skills - eventually uncovers the story of Tesla's life as a Serbian immigrant and a visionary genius: as a boy he built engines powered by June bugs, as a man he dreamt of pulling electricity from the sky. As Louisa unpeels the layers of Tesla's past, she begins to glimpse the man who, though once esteemed by many, forbade himself human connection. Meanwhile, Louisa - facing her father's imminent departure in a time machine in order to reunite with his late wife - gets swept off her feet by a mysterious mechanic (perhaps from the future) named Arthur. Before the week is out, Louisa must come to terms with her own understanding of love, death, and the power of invention."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,135,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible