Shadow by Marcia Brown

Shadow

by Marcia Brown

2071356,585 (3.4)1
All member reviews
In my opinion, the book “Shadow’ by Marcia Brown is a decent book. The story shows how shadows can be realistic and part imagination. The genre of the story is a mix of suspense and ghost story. I think the realistic setting set in African Heritage also makes “Shadow” more special as a story. For example the author writes “In the daytime shadow is full of life. It waves with the grasses, curls up at the foot of trees, nests behind the elephant’s ear.” I was especially impressed with the writing. The pace and flow of the writing is not only engaging, it keeps the reader involved. I like how the author makes use of lots of verbs, and descriptive language in the prose. For example Brown writes “Shadow is always Shadow. It needs no ornament, no tattoo. The Zebras shadow has no stripes.” The illustrations is the other reason why I think “Shadow” is such a good book. The African theme is brought to life in drawings. The dark color pallet also helps to contribute to the theme. The big idea is to show that Shadows aren't as scary as they seem.
  dbaker16 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Caldecott winner 1983
translated work by Blaise Cendrars
In verse, what is Shadow? So much more and less than what it seems
  Phill242 | May 6, 2013 |
Caldecott Medal, 1983 ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Cut and torn paper collage and paint illustrate the concept of "shadow", a kind of dark life-force of story and song in African culture.
  scducharme | Feb 5, 2012 |
Very impressed by the illustrations from Brown. The media used throughout the book is of a collage. The pictures are bright, interesting, mysterious, bold, new, and cutting edge. It is easy to see why this book received a Caldecott award, I noticed that I spent more time looking at the illustrations as the story went on. The story is taken from African village storytellers and shamans dealing with the beliefs between the present and the spirits of the past, revolving around once central theme Shadows. The story is different and unique and the illustrations complement the story very nicely. This book sparks curiosity for children (illustrations and text) but also a book that can captivate the minds of adults. Children will be drawn to this book due to the illustrations and the story since being one that most children are not familiar with. I can see some children staying away from the book due to the mysterious and dark illustrations.
Ages 5 and 10. ( )

2.What is Shadow?

3.800字

4.15分 ( )
  9001toshiko | Jan 4, 2010 |
Shadow is a book about a shadow's life. The book tells of the things a shadow can and can not do. It also tells of where a shadow can be found.
I really enjoyed the play on words in this book. I liked that the shadow is compared to things I see in everyday life. I really liked the artwork.
I would use this book to explore the different types of poetry. The book would be a great tie in for exploring other countries and their cultures.
  susiehinckley | Sep 6, 2009 |
A picture book with text from a French poem. Illustrated with African inspired artwork. A great poetic description of a shadow. ( )
  missrader | Apr 13, 2009 |
A good example of an African myth and poetry because it proposes ideas about what shadows are and it is presented with rhythm. Shadow enchants the region, and an explanation is given for this "mysterious' phenomenon. The book personifies Shadow and gives it a supernatural essence. This myth explains that Shadow likes to be around fires, is everywhere at midday, and that it gets longer toward the end of the day. The setting is never clearly established, although it is said to be an African myth and the characters in the book seem to be indigenous and not civilized as modern Americans would say. While location may be established, this tale can obviously be applied to anywhere, and time has not been discussed. Since there is such variety in Africa, the pictures could depict today or hundreds of years ago. Regardless, Shadow shall never change.

Media: Silhouette and watercolor, cut paper
  teddy5 | Feb 28, 2009 |
Genre: Poetry
Critique of Genre: This is an interesting example of poetry in that it doesn’t have a lot of rhyming or rhythm, but it is a form of free verse poetry wit hits descriptions of shadows.
Theme: The theme of this story is the continuous descriptions of shadows throughout the book like this statement of, “Shadow does not sleep. It is always watching.”
Media: collage ( )
  jessy555 | Nov 25, 2008 |
Use: Making Collages, Experiencing passed down stories and poetry
Media: Collage
Critique: There is a rhythm and rhyme to this poem. The imagery adds to the idea of a shadow coming to life. Shadows give off personalities that no one would ever think of. It amazes me how something so simple can bring out so much emotion. The illustrations bring the shadows into existence and how time and day show different types of shadows. ( )
  kbrown | Oct 7, 2007 |
I liked this book and feel that it would be appropriate for the fall and also for studies on African culture.

The pictures go along well with the translated text.

Note to Teacher/Parents:
While the book is not very scary, there are some themes of death that the theme of shadow implies.
  sliverphish | Aug 25, 2007 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,984,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible