The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (1951)

by J. D. Salinger

51,3728389 (3.83)3 / 913
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Graphirus)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (rosylibrarian)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Sylak, SqueakyChu)
    Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney (InvisiblerMan)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Drijntje)
    The Clown by Heinrich Böll (DefinitelyUnlikely)
    Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler (UrliMancati)
    UrliMancati: It has been said that Barney is Holden at the end of his life. While the twos do not have so much in common, the reader will definitively love both characters.
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (Emydidae)
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell (krizia_lazaro)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Indignation by Philip Roth (sushidog)
    sushidog: Early 50s boys growing up.
    King Dork by Frank Portman (Brian242)
    Fruit by Brian Francis (ShelfMonkey)
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (hippietrail)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Cool Hand Luke: A Novel by Donn Pearce (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Old School by Tobias Wolff (Tuccis1)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (HatsForMice)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (unlucky)

1950s (6)
Read (34)

English (783)  Spanish (16)  French (11)  Italian (8)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  All (837)
While I was reading this book, I find quite humorous how ironic this book is. The thought of Holden being “the catcher in the rye”, wanting to save children’s innocence, save them from adulthood, all the while he’s the one with Peter Pan syndrome. He’s the one who wants to be a child. First, I hard to understand this storyline but over time I could understand well.

The strength of this book is the book does a fantastic job at showing just how emotional and overwhelming that time of life can be. It’s not prettied up to make it look like everything will be all right; it’s raw and realistic. The issues are presented just as they feel to Holden, just as they feel to many teenagers. And even if you’re not a teenager, and not able to relate to the book in the moment, you can reflect back and understand where he is coming from. And the weakness for this book is the character too negative, and too unrealistic. And this book didn’t have a beginning or ending.

I recommend this book for the teenage readers, they will enjoy this novel because Holden, like some of them, is angry with how young people are controlled by adults. His angst is amusing, but he does use strong language. ( )
  ericakusuma | Dec 3, 2016 |
This book was interesing for me to read. Though I did not like it much. I got confused sometimes with the way it was written and was continously lost as to the meaning and purpose of the novel's story. This book was very unique and made me think a lot.

The weakness for this book would have to be how confusing it can be at times. I read a lot of things that I felt shouldn'dt have been mentioned by the author and it just caused more confusion for myself. I asked myself what is so good about this novel? Where is the climax? I could'nt find an answer. It lacked a lot of action or drama of any sort to my opinion.

The positive side to it though was that it makes you think a lot. It helps you to imagine you were in the story living through it. It was unique in it's own way and a book that you shall rarely come across with that type of story.

To conclude I would not recommend this book to many people that are beginners in reading, or those who are looking for a action packed story. You shall be greatly bored and dissapointed. I believe this book is suitable for those who read often and are looking for a simple story. ( )
  niviemontong | Dec 2, 2016 |
As we read this book, we may know that this book is very interesting, though there are some parts that is quite boring. The plot is very unpredictable and full of surprise. When we guess that this kind of storyline will happen, the outcome is far from our estimation. The way the story is told is some kind of different or it has its characteristic. We have to think and read two times and more to get the specific understanding about the story line.

Looking for the weakness, I may say that this book is not good in giving detail about the storyline, sometimes it tells about flashback that is not salient to be read, because it tells the stupid things that Holden had done before. The strength of this book is the way the writer wrote the book, it has a good manner for the reader, especially for those who are in high school who may be facing the same situation.

I suggest this book to you, because it has a deep meaning that is very compatible to the life now and we may encounter the same problem also someday. I decided to give 4 stars to this book because of the deep meaning story, the unwritten lesson, and lifelike characters. This book is great! ( )
  GlennSormin | Dec 2, 2016 |
This book was quite the unique one, though sometimes caught off guard with its spontaneous changes and certain flashbacks to the past. It was a book that kept giving and surprised you with what would happen next. The way it was written also was something I found different to your other regular novels. The genre would make you think twice what type novel it exactly is. Though I did not enjoy it, this book caused me to think a lot in an interesting manner.

I must say the weakness of this book, on my perspective is that I found a lot of unnecessary detail, some parts of the book that was written I felt were useless and quite boring. For example his journey running away, or when he stayed overnight at the hotel. It really made me lose interest to continue to read on. Nothing too spectacular occured and how it was written could have been done so with a manner that would intrigue the reader more so. I expected more drama atleast but I myself felt it lacked that.

But the good side towards this book, would have to be it's clever way the author thought to present this novel, as if it was like a biography. He used a lot of words and sayings that would spark the olden days to come flash back at you, and give you a grin on your face. The main character is also very relatable in many situations. It was very realistic, very life like.

I recommend this book, if you are interested for a simple story that is written in a clever manner. Though if you were perhaps looking for a sci-fi or book full of great drama and action I would not reccomend it at all. If you are a beginner in reading novels, I believe this book will be very uninteresting for you. But if you are a frequent reader, I believe you would enjoy it. Or if your perhaps looking for a very realistic like novel. ( )
  jenjia | Dec 1, 2016 |
I don't really care for this book, although I understand its importance, and I am glad I read it.
I found it disturbing. ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
In the course of 277 pages, the reader wearies of [his] explicitness, repetition and adolesence, exactly as one would weary of Holden himself. And this reader at least suffered from an irritated feeling that Holden was not quite so sensitive and perceptive as he, and his creator, thought he was. In any case he is so completely self-centered that the other characters who wander through the book—with the notable exception of his sister Phoebe—have nothing like his authenticity. ... In a writer of Salinger's undeniable talent, one expects something more.
added by danielx | editNew Republic, Hillary Kelly (Jan 23, 2015)

“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
AR Level 4.7, 11 pts.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430, 0241950465

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,760,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible