The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 1991)

by J.D. Salinger

55,30789613 (3.82)3 / 986
Member:dolphin30
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J.D. Salinger
Info:Little, Brown and Company (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Author) (1951)

1950s (8)
Read (34)
Satire (41)
Read (2)

English (837)  Spanish (17)  French (10)  Italian (10)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Croatian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Icelandic (1)  All languages (895)
I read this book in high school and loved it. Tried it again in college, but couldn't quite get into it again. I agree with the other reviewer that said "read while you're still a miserable adolescent." But I'll still give this four stars because I loved it so much in the tenth grade and it consumed so many of my thoughts. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
It's true that I didn't remember the book this way. Maybe I was too young the first time I read it, but certainly there were things I needed to live to fully understand it.

However, I didn't quite like it the first time... and still didn't quite like it this one. I feel Holden's pain about some things in society but I'm not as fond about his ego and superiority complex about the rest of them all. Obviously his view about girls and women is too patriarchal but it's not even the worst of it, considering the time context this book was written in.

I kinda get why it's considered a classic, but it's proven that it's not my cup of tea and never will be. ( )
  iceinmyblues | Sep 16, 2018 |
Awful, awful book. ( )
  mllejules | Sep 8, 2018 |
I re-read this book annually. It all started with my high school, creative-writing instructor, Cal Benson. Many know, love, and cast this man as completely responsible for their love affairs with words, words, words. I was handed a beat up copy of CitR by Benson when I was 17, I cracked it open in the sunny, autumn wind and was suckered in by the first line, (which is my favorite in all of literature)

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

Since that time, I've kinda used this book as a watermark of my personal growth. Each year, as the smell of decay and the warm evening glow spreads cinnamon and tiger hues across the trees; Holden begs to be heard.
This year, the book was particularly emotional for me. I cried like a madman, I really did. If you want to know the truth. ;)

There is one (of many, I suppose) scene in this book that makes me want to call people up and just hear them breathe on the phone, maybe tell them I love them.

"That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "Fuck you" right under your nose. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "Fuck you." I'm positive, in fact."

Of course we can talk about the death of innocence here but it really just makes me miss everyone I know. I feel all lonely and incredibly connected all at once, reading that.

Also, Holden has my heart with this line, “People always clap for the wrong reasons.” (Because that is true) ( )
  ambersnowpants | Aug 23, 2018 |
The Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorites, and I think ultimately it comes down to Holden Caulfield in making it so. Holden is a bit listless - he doesn't know where he's going in life and doesn't know what to make of it, which, I think all of us have a moment of at one point in our lives eventually (that 'where am I going and what am I doing here?' thought). I think what I loved about this book was that Holden was just so endearing to me for some reason. He reminded me of an old man stuck in a younger person's body who just gripes and complains about everything, but his gripes brought me laughter constantly. He had so many one liners that I just loved (and also found myself agreeing with a lot of the time). I think some readers feel sorry for Holden and find him depressing or angsty, and I do agree with that to a certain extent. If anything, I think I just empathized with him and enjoyed walking around with him in New York as he wandered from place to place, not knowing what to do. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move.... Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
The hero-narrator of The Catcher in the Rye is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices-but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle it to keep.

J.D. Salinger's classic novel of teenage angst and rebellion was first published in 1951. The novel was included on Time's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels written since 1923. It was named by Modern Library and its readers as one of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. It has been frequently challenged in the court for its liberal use of profanity and portrayal of sexuality and in the 1950's and 60's it was the novel that every teenage boy wants to read.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible