The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger

47,33872012 (3.85)3 / 816
Member:Allizabeth
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

1950s (8)

English (669)  Spanish (14)  Italian (9)  French (9)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (719)
I was very disappointed in this book. I've always known it to be a classic and everyone raves about it but, while reading it, I found myself asking, "why?" I kept reading hoping something exciting would happen but nothing ever did. In fact, the ending was quite anti-climactic. The main character Holden got on my nerves, to be honest. His angst was nothing but annoying that affected himself and everyone else around him negatively.
The one good thing about this book was to make me thankful I don't have a Holden in my life. ( )
1 vote bleached | Sep 7, 2014 |
I enjoyed the story and the main character, but then after a few months after reading the book didn't seem like such a big deal, but then I thought that it probably was back when it was published. Appreciate the friend who gave it to me. ( )
  DCavin | Sep 4, 2014 |
People love or hate this book it seems. I've read it at least three times that I can remember. Why do I like it so much? Holden Caulfield is a very bright young man. He's jaded, worldly, smart, and he has a bad attitude. He sees adults as phonies and children as the innocents -- they haven't had time to grow up and develop their facade or veneer. Holden is a relatable character, especially for those of us who maybe didn't fit in during high school. I felt I could relate to him, not being a big fan of the whole teenage experience and having trouble with authority figures myself.

Catcher is full of symbolism, like the ducks (or absence of ducks) on the lake in Central Park, and Holden's hat with earmuffs -- his security blanket or touchstone. It's an interesting book. Holden is caught in the middle of becoming an adult, yet he really seems to want to be a kid. Salinger portrays the conflicting emotions that seem to be such an integral part of growing up. Ultimately, Holden Caulfield is a tragic figure.

Growing up is tough and sad. Bittersweet leaving childhood behind and having to face the cruel, boring world of adulthood.

I don't want to overanalyze Catcher in the Rye, though, I just want to enjoy it. ( )
  mclesh | Sep 2, 2014 |
This is one of those books people rate differently depending how old they are. I'll leave the rating from the first time I had read it and, obviously, loved it. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Description of book from Amazon.com

Review
Novel by J.D. Salinger, published in 1951. The influential and widely acclaimed story details the two days in the life of 16-year-old Holden Caulfield after he has been expelled from prep school. Confused and disillusioned, he searches for truth and rails against the "phoniness" of the adult world. He ends up exhausted and emotionally ill, in a psychiatrist's office. After he recovers from his breakdown, Holden relates his experiences to the reader.

My comments
I enjoyed this book. I found myself relating with Holden more than I thought I would, especially remembering my teenage years of never really feeling I belonged, of always feeling everyone else and everything around me was "phony" and...just not enough. I think I'd describe this book as a teenage version of "American Beauty." Good book. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Östergren, KlasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fernández Rodríguez, Xosé RamónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Judit, GyepesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:26 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,667,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible