The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger

51,3398389 (3.83)3 / 913
Member:Allizabeth
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Graphirus)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (rosylibrarian)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Sylak, SqueakyChu)
    Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney (InvisiblerMan)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Drijntje)
    The Clown by Heinrich Böll (DefinitelyUnlikely)
    Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler (UrliMancati)
    UrliMancati: It has been said that Barney is Holden at the end of his life. While the twos do not have so much in common, the reader will definitively love both characters.
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (Emydidae)
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell (krizia_lazaro)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Indignation by Philip Roth (sushidog)
    sushidog: Early 50s boys growing up.
    King Dork by Frank Portman (Brian242)
    Fruit by Brian Francis (ShelfMonkey)
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (hippietrail)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Cool Hand Luke: A Novel by Donn Pearce (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Old School by Tobias Wolff (Tuccis1)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (HatsForMice)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (unlucky)

1950s (6)
Read (34)

English (783)  Spanish (16)  French (11)  Italian (8)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  English (1)  English (837)
This book was interesing for me to read. Though I did not like it much. I got confused sometimes with the way it was written and was continously lost as to the meaning and purpose of the novel's story. This book was very unique and made me think a lot.

The weakness for this book would have to be how confusing it can be at times. I read a lot of things that I felt shouldn'dt have been mentioned by the author and it just caused more confusion for myself. I asked myself what is so good about this novel? Where is the climax? I could'nt find an answer. It lacked a lot of action or drama of any sort to my opinion.

The positive side to it though was that it makes you think a lot. It helps you to imagine you were in the story living through it. It was unique in it's own way and a book that you shall rarely come across with that type of story.

To conclude I would not recommend this book to many people that are beginners in reading, or those who are looking for a action packed story. You shall be greatly bored and dissapointed. I believe this book is suitable for those who read often and are looking for a simple story. ( )
  niviemontong | Dec 2, 2016 |
As we read this book, we may know that this book is very interesting, though there are some parts that is quite boring. The plot is very unpredictable and full of surprise. When we guess that this kind of storyline will happen, the outcome is far from our estimation. The way the story is told is some kind of different or it has its characteristic. We have to think and read two times and more to get the specific understanding about the story line.

Looking for the weakness, I may say that this book is not good in giving detail about the storyline, sometimes it tells about flashback that is not salient to be read, because it tells the stupid things that Holden had done before. The strength of this book is the way the writer wrote the book, it has a good manner for the reader, especially for those who are in high school who may be facing the same situation.

I suggest this book to you, because it has a deep meaning that is very compatible to the life now and we may encounter the same problem also someday. I decided to give 4 stars to this book because of the deep meaning story, the unwritten lesson, and lifelike characters. This book is great! ( )
  GlennSormin | Dec 2, 2016 |
This book was quite the unique one, though sometimes caught off guard with its spontaneous changes and certain flashbacks to the past. It was a book that kept giving and surprised you with what would happen next. The way it was written also was something I found different to your other regular novels. The genre would make you think twice what type novel it exactly is. Though I did not enjoy it, this book caused me to think a lot in an interesting manner.

I must say the weakness of this book, on my perspective is that I found a lot of unnecessary detail, some parts of the book that was written I felt were useless and quite boring. For example his journey running away, or when he stayed overnight at the hotel. It really made me lose interest to continue to read on. Nothing too spectacular occured and how it was written could have been done so with a manner that would intrigue the reader more so. I expected more drama atleast but I myself felt it lacked that.

But the good side towards this book, would have to be it's clever way the author thought to present this novel, as if it was like a biography. He used a lot of words and sayings that would spark the olden days to come flash back at you, and give you a grin on your face. The main character is also very relatable in many situations. It was very realistic, very life like.

I recommend this book, if you are interested for a simple story that is written in a clever manner. Though if you were perhaps looking for a sci-fi or book full of great drama and action I would not reccomend it at all. If you are a beginner in reading novels, I believe this book will be very uninteresting for you. But if you are a frequent reader, I believe you would enjoy it. Or if your perhaps looking for a very realistic like novel. ( )
  jenjia | Dec 1, 2016 |
I don't really care for this book, although I understand its importance, and I am glad I read it.
I found it disturbing. ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye, which was written by Jerome David Salinger, is a novel that narrates the disastrous life story of Holden Caulfield, the main character, and the toughness of life in the 1950s. Salinger portrays Holden Caulfield as a failing student who is looking for his true identity while growing in an unfavorable environment. After meeting some characters, he experiences several ebbs and flows. He even has a mental breakdown because of the ceaseless problems he encounters. However, his condition gets better in the end of the story. Salinger shows his thoughts through the realistic and dynamic characterization of this novel. However, Salinger does not reveal the message so vividly, and his writing style, especially in the word choice, may not be acceptable in other cultures.

Salinger's realistic and dynamic characterization makes the reader feel to be the character himself. With the use of effective adjectives, Salinger is able to bring the characters into life, for example Holden Caulfield. The author describes him as a naughty, dangerous, wild, stubborn, and deceptive student. However, Salinger also shows his soft side that is seen when he meets his little sister, Phoebe. Holden really cares for his sister who can calm his crying soul. These qualities show the weakness and strength of the main character making the character realistic. In addition, the author's dynamic characterization is very evident in the main character as well. As shown by the plot, Holden as a verdant character is expelled from Pencey, a school in Agerstown, because of his poor academic performance in the beginning. Later, he involves into a fight with his roommate Stradlater. Moving to New York, things only get worse for him. To face his loneliness, he started contacting his old friends. Since none of them gives any response, he gets involved into sex-related activities. Unexpectedly, in the end of the story, his sister somehow changes and relieve his mind. The plot shows Holden's improvements after leaving Pencey. Although the story is very lively and realistic because of the characterization, the message of the novel is unclear. All throughout the novel, the readers can only find all of the egregious things; for instance, violence, stubbornness, deception, and sex-related activities. He even said,” I’m the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life” (16). He also fights with his roommate Stradlater showing violence. He said,” It probably would have hurt him a bit, but I did it with my right hand, and I can’t make a good fist with that hand” (24). He shows his stubbornness when he escapes from Mr. Spencer, his history teacher, while he is giving advice to Holden. To escape, he said, “I have to go right to the gym” (15). Showing sex-related activities, Holden asks a prostitute named sunny to accompany him; he said, “When I opened the door, this prostitute was standing there” (52). To careless readers, they might interpret this novel negatively because of the explicit contents. Related to the message, Salinger uses many curse words throughout this novel. In fact, the word “goddam” appears 245 times. Therefore, this novel may be inappropriate to some cultures.

Overall, this novel is very realistic novel that some of the conditions found in the novel still exist or applicable in this modern era. The lively characters and the way the author present them makes the reader to be carried by the character’s emotion. In addition, the dynamic characters, especially Holden Caulfield, makes the story unpredictable and interesting as it goes. On the other hand, the use of violent languages and bad attitude may promote bad influence to young and inexperienced readers and degrade the value of this novel. For this reason, this novel is not recommended for young readers. ( )
  evanderbinui | Nov 25, 2016 |
In the course of 277 pages, the reader wearies of [his] explicitness, repetition and adolesence, exactly as one would weary of Holden himself. And this reader at least suffered from an irritated feeling that Holden was not quite so sensitive and perceptive as he, and his creator, thought he was. In any case he is so completely self-centered that the other characters who wander through the book—with the notable exception of his sister Phoebe—have nothing like his authenticity. ... In a writer of Salinger's undeniable talent, one expects something more.
added by danielx | editNew Republic, Hillary Kelly (Jan 23, 2015)

“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
AR Level 4.7, 11 pts.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430, 0241950465

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,622,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible