The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger

50,9918239 (3.83)3 / 896
Member:dizzyweasel
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, literature, 20th century, American, coming of age, New York, teenagers, classic literature

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Graphirus)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (rosylibrarian)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Sylak, SqueakyChu)
    Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney (InvisiblerMan)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Drijntje)
    Collected Stories of John O'Hara: Selected and With an Introduction by Frank MacShane by John O'Hara (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler (UrliMancati)
    UrliMancati: It has been said that Barney is Holden at the end of his life. While the twos do not have so much in common, the reader will definitively love both characters.
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (Emydidae)
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell (krizia_lazaro)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (hippietrail)
    Indignation by Philip Roth (sushidog)
    sushidog: Early 50s boys growing up.
    King Dork by Frank Portman (Brian242)
    The Clown by Heinrich Böll (DefinitelyUnlikely)
    Fruit by Brian Francis (ShelfMonkey)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Cool Hand Luke: A Novel by Donn Pearce (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Old School by Tobias Wolff (Tuccis1)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (HatsForMice)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)

1950s (6)
Read (34)

English (769)  Spanish (14)  French (11)  Italian (8)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (821)
Recuerdo una sensación de desolación al acabar el libro, debería releerlo.
Y otro agradecimiento más a la lista de los que le deberé siempre a Águeda, la profesora de Lengua española de BUP que me descubrió auténticas joyas literarias. ( )
  Minimissplaced | Jul 21, 2016 |
I've reconsidered my initial review ("what an obnoxious little shit") because I basically couldn't sleep reviewing this story in my head. I read it very quickly (in a single day) and only with some reflection came to understand that what the story was about was not a privileged entitled prick on a self-destructive tear, but the mental unraveling of a traumatized kid. This one's going to stick with me for a while. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |
The catcher in the rye by J. D. Salinger
Book starts out with a man who attends Penn State, Holden. He's been kicked out of the college. He's been kicked out of many other schools in his lifetime also.
Different events occur on his way home where he's supposed to be at college. He turns up at home and his sister helps with money, then leaves til college break is to be.
Ends up waking up at a family friends house to the old man touching his head and he freaks out. Like how the book got it's title.
  jbarr5 | Jun 23, 2016 |
When I fell into my first acute depression in 1994, I took a semester off to work at Big Chain Bookstore, and embarked upon a mission to complete the typical high school reading list, finally reading the classics I'd missed, starting with "The Catcher in the Rye". This turned out to be quite a felicitous choice. I connected immediately with the protagonist, who in actuality was only a few years younger than I was at the time, and who was also experiencing the serious delusions that depression can bring.

There is a scene towards the end of the book in which Holden is crossing the street in New York City, and describes the sensation of sinking into the street, wondering if he'll ever be able to swim to the shore of the next curb--or something similar. I remember thinking that I had found a kindred spirit in this character, because that was how depression felt to me then, as if the ground I walked on was swallowing me.

I carried the book with me in my purse for about 6 months. It was with me at all times. (I now can see the ridiculousness of this, but at the time, sick as I was, it was comforting.) Once I started to feel better, I no longer needed Holden Caulfield's suffering to buffer my own.

I put the book back on the shelf, and went on with life. But I'll always be grateful to it, my temporary talisman, for providing comfort during a dark time. ( )
  anna_hiller | Jun 22, 2016 |
Si de verdad les interesa lo que voy a contarles, lo primero que querrán saber es de que trata el libro, como fue todo ese rollo de los personajes, que tal es la escritura y demás puñetas, pero no tengo ganas de contarles nada de eso.

Uno de los libros más aburridos que he leído en mi vida.

Asi que si deciden leerlo...
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
In the course of 277 pages, the reader wearies of [his] explicitness, repetition and adolesence, exactly as one would weary of Holden himself. And this reader at least suffered from an irritated feeling that Holden was not quite so sensitive and perceptive as he, and his creator, thought he was. In any case he is so completely self-centered that the other characters who wander through the book—with the notable exception of his sister Phoebe—have nothing like his authenticity. ... In a writer of Salinger's undeniable talent, one expects something more.
added by danielx | editNew Republic, Hillary Kelly (Jan 23, 2015)

“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
AR Level 4.7, 11 pts.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430, 0241950465

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,480,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible