The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger

48,20574112 (3.85)3 / 841
Member:dizzyweasel
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, literature, 20th century, American, coming of age, New York, teenagers, classic literature

Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Author) (1951)

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Graphirus)
  2. 1911
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (rosylibrarian)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Sylak, SqueakyChu)
    Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney (InvisiblerMan)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Drijntje)
    Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler (UrliMancati)
    UrliMancati: It has been said that Barney is Holden at the end of his life. While the twos do not have so much in common, the reader will definitively love both characters.
    Collected Stories of John O'Hara: Selected and With an Introduction by Frank MacShane by John O'Hara (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Indignation by Philip Roth (sushidog)
    sushidog: Early 50s boys growing up.
    King Dork by Frank Portman (Brian242)
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (hippietrail)
    Fruit by Brian Francis (ShelfMonkey)
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell (krizia_lazaro)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    I Never Liked You: The New Definitive Edition by Chester Brown (one-horse.library)
    Cool Hand Luke: A Novel by Donn Pearce (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (HatsForMice)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Notes from Underground by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch Dostoïevski (unlucky)
    The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy (cafepithecus)

1950s (6)
Read (33)
Unread books (1,023)

English (691)  Spanish (14)  Italian (9)  French (9)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (741)
Amazing.. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
"The Catcher in the Rye" tells the story of a teen misfit who's just discovered he's been expelled from his boarding school. It's set in mid-twentieth century USA.

Salinger writes fluidly, and "The Catcher in the Rye" is told from the first person perspective of its protagonist. He is at once endearing and annoying, which, to me, makes the story that much more charming. Recommended. ( )
  jasonli | Feb 19, 2015 |
This is one of those books that you are lucky if you read it in high school, when it can best speak to you, and it does actually speak to you at that time, a hit-or-miss proposition, to be sure. I am not sure it would hold up and, now that I'm in my forties and justifiably weary of the endless stories about adolescents discovering that the world is not what they thought it would be, I'm not sure I want to try. I will preserve my fond memories of what was once a highly influential novel for me by not risking a reread. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 16, 2015 |
Hated this when I had to read it in high school. Now that I'm in my 50's it made a lot more sense and I got a lot more out of it. This should NOT be a book assigned in high schools. ( )
  br77rino | Feb 11, 2015 |
This book marks my 7th book read on my Classic's List for my Classic's Challenge.

I can't say that I necessarily enjoyed this book. It mostly served the purpose of checking it off my TBR list and satisfying a curiosity. Never reading this in high school I wonder if I might have liked it more if I read it while I was in my teens so as to better relate to the main character?

Holden Caulfield is the protagonist and comes from privilege. We come into his life as he has been expelled from a prep school. Before he leaves he gets into a fight with his roommate and then heads off to New York as he delays his arrival at home to face his parents. Along the way he meets up with old friends in addition to experiencing odd encounters with several strangers. As a coming-of-age novel it's apparent Holden is anxious about the future and what it holds for him.

Most of the story was of a rambling nature as well as continuous repetitive phrases which made it for a awkward read. Perhaps this is Salinger's way of showing us Holden is ill and his thought process is disconnected.

While I wouldn't recommend this book I am happy to be able to say that I have read.

How I acquired this book: Gift from son. Mother's Day visit to Moe's Books, Berkeley, CA

Shelf Life: 8 months ( )
  missjomarch | Jan 31, 2015 |
In the course of 277 pages, the reader wearies of [his] explicitness, repetition and adolesence, exactly as one would weary of Holden himself. And this reader at least suffered from an irritated feeling that Holden was not quite so sensitive and perceptive as he, and his creator, thought he was. In any case he is so completely self-centered that the other characters who wander through the book—with the notable exception of his sister Phoebe—have nothing like his authenticity. ... In a writer of Salinger's undeniable talent, one expects something more.
added by danielx | editNew Republic, Hillary Kelly (Jan 23, 2015)

“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:26 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,721,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible