The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 2001)

by J.D. Salinger

47,58572512 (3.85)3 / 821
Member:WMGoBuffs
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J.D. Salinger
Info:
Rating:*****

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

1950s (10)
    The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (InfectiousOptimist)
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Graphirus)
  3. 1910
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (RosyLibrarian)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Sylak, SqueakyChu)
    Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney (InvisiblerMan)
    Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler (UrliMancati)
    UrliMancati: It has been said that Barney is Holden at the end of his life. While the twos do not have so much in common, the reader will definitively love both characters.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Drijntje)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Collected Stories of John O'Hara: Selected and With an Introduction by Frank MacShane by John O'Hara (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    King Dork by Frank Portman (Brian242)
    Indignation by Philip Roth (sushidog)
    sushidog: Early 50s boys growing up.
    Fruit by Brian Francis (ShelfMonkey)
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell (krizia_lazaro)
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (hippietrail)
    Cool Hand Luke: A Novel by Donn Pearce (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy (cafepithecus)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (HatsForMice)
    I Never Liked You: The New Definitive Edition by Chester Brown (one-horse.library)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (_Zoe_)

English (675)  Spanish (14)  Italian (9)  French (9)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (725)
Haters to the left. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Insightful look at a boy's spiral into psychosis. ( )
  jvgravy | Oct 19, 2014 |
I know that you either love this book or hate it. I read it for the first time in 9th grade and absolutely adored it and reread it throughout high school. For me Holden Caulfield was extremely relatable and this book was so important to me during my teenage years. ( )
  morgantaylor | Oct 10, 2014 |
I knew when I started "The Catcher in the Rye" that I might miss some of the meaning given that I was probably reading it 15 years too late. However, I soon found out that I might have completely given up on the book during high school because Holden Caulfield is so annoying that I cheered when first his roommate and then the pimp beat him up. Getting through this book wasn't a chore, but having waited for over a year with this book on my shelf I felt the need to finish just to see what all the hype was about. Frankly by the end, the only character in the book I had any sympathy for was Phoebe given that she had no clue that her brother was nuts.

I attempted to think deeply about various symbols or themes in the book, but I soon found myself with a headache trying to figuring how critics could think anything of importance was being written. After 214 pages, I can say without a doubt this book is all hype and will soon be sold to my local used book store. ( )
  mattries37315 | Oct 3, 2014 |
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." (p. 198). That quote is why I finally decided I wanted to read the book. It shows up in The Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series. My husband had read the book and said I should read it too so when the opportunity presented itself to me, I had to. Now having read the book I see much more of the of it in the series than just this short quote used by the Laughing Man.

Beyond inspiring an arc plot in an animae series, Catcher in the Rye seems to be the book that so many recent first person rambling books with teenage male protagonists spring from. The book reminds me a great deal of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time though better written. There's also a bit of Everything is Illuminated as well but again, much better written. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 20, 2014 |
"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:26 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,389,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible