The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 2001)

by J.D. Salinger

48,80775711 (3.84)3 / 855
Member:WMGoBuffs
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J.D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback
Rating:*****

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Graphirus)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (rosylibrarian)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Sylak, SqueakyChu)
    Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney (InvisiblerMan)
    Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler (UrliMancati)
    UrliMancati: It has been said that Barney is Holden at the end of his life. While the twos do not have so much in common, the reader will definitively love both characters.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Drijntje)
    Collected Stories of John O'Hara: Selected and With an Introduction by Frank MacShane by John O'Hara (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Indignation by Philip Roth (sushidog)
    sushidog: Early 50s boys growing up.
    King Dork by Frank Portman (Brian242)
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (hippietrail)
    Fruit by Brian Francis (ShelfMonkey)
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell (krizia_lazaro)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    I Never Liked You: The New Definitive Edition by Chester Brown (TomWaitsTables)
    Cool Hand Luke: A Novel by Donn Pearce (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (HatsForMice)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Notes from Underground by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch Dostoïevski (unlucky)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (_Zoe_)

1950s (5)
Read (33)
Unread books (1,149)

English (706)  Spanish (14)  Italian (9)  French (9)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (756)
Written in a wry understated tone, this novel will appeal to students that enjoy cynical takes on life. What if you realized adults were phony and you became disillusioned with your role in this world?
  Melina_Hiatt_Easter | Jul 16, 2015 |
Read 10 pages and dropped.. The protagonist's thoughts are too scattered around for me to follow.. I think I have a short-attention span problem.
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
EDIT: I gave this book 3 stars, because as I was analyzing how I felt while reading the book, there were some things that I actually liked, hence the 3 stars ("I liked it"). Nevertheless, Holden Caulfield is still an emotionally distressed teenager that needs to GROW THE FUCK UP (forgive my language) and come to terms with his life. I still feel like this book was trying too hard. That J.D. Salinger was trying too hard to sound like a teenager, and I must say... he failed miserably. I'm pretty sure many people WILL disagree with me, but I don't care. The strong dislike for Holden Caulfield caused these 3 stars... Although I strongly wanted to rate it 2 stars....

Original post: Well... I don't know how to rate this book. I mean, I liked it, really, but the main character really annoyed me. I found him so insufferable. He hated everything and was always pretty depressed. I couldn't get over my hate for the character enough to really get into the book. He had the attention span of a baby squirell, I swear. and I'm pretty sure he suffers from Bipolar disorder or something. I feel like there was a message that the book was trying to give out, but I didn't get it, because I couldn't relate to Holden Caulfield. *sigh* I'll mull over the rating for a while... ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |
Many people criticise the book because of the whiny character; because they hate the character. I think the book is fantastic because of that. Salinger makes the readers hate Holden Caulfield! ( )
1 vote onkarhoysala | Jun 29, 2015 |
I read this book for school about, I don't know, over 10 years ago.

I read it cover to cover in about two days, so basically over one of my precious weekends.

I was so intrigued with the book, and at the time I read it I was still fresh with you know, reading for fun.(It was for school, who likes to read for school?) I was like 15 or something, so me and reading weren't on the same page yet... That isn't a pun

I don't know what it was that captured my gold fish like attention, but it took hold, and I couldn’t stop. I even read it on a Saturday night, up at my Nan’s, instead of watching Cops. Man I use to love that show, -shakes head- Man I can't believe I use to like that show.

To this day I look back and remember how that book capture me so much that it probably started my hard core reading addition. In all truth it show me how fun reading is.

The book itself is a little weird, and I don't know what it was about Holden, because sometimes he pissed me off, but I just got really attached to him, and, I felt a little sorry for him.

I highly recommend this book to all.

Have a great day :)

Emily
  E.A.Walsh | Jun 11, 2015 |
In the course of 277 pages, the reader wearies of [his] explicitness, repetition and adolesence, exactly as one would weary of Holden himself. And this reader at least suffered from an irritated feeling that Holden was not quite so sensitive and perceptive as he, and his creator, thought he was. In any case he is so completely self-centered that the other characters who wander through the book—with the notable exception of his sister Phoebe—have nothing like his authenticity. ... In a writer of Salinger's undeniable talent, one expects something more.
added by danielx | editNew Republic, Hillary Kelly (Jan 23, 2015)

“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,403,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible