The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 1969)

by J.D. Salinger

52,7038618 (3.83)3 / 952
Member:csaavedra
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J.D. Salinger
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1969), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:nyc, new york, manhattan, teenage, high school, nightlife, angst, coming of age, youth

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

1950s (7)
Read (34)
Satire (41)
Read (2)

English (804)  Spanish (16)  French (10)  Italian (9)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Croatian (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Icelandic (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (859)
I love this book.

No review I write is ever going to be good enough.

Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
I fist read this back in 1975 and being a boy from London, England could not relate to it. It was part of our GCSE course along with Steinbeck's Mice and Men which I loved.
I was in North London recently and popped into a pub name The Catcher in the Rye. I thought I need to read that book again, so ended up buying it and reading it.
I read it in two days and this time around think I actually understood it and enjoyed it. I use this as a yardstick it shows how I have grown over the last 41 years. ( )
  Arten60 | Jun 21, 2017 |
I've tried to like this book, I really have. Yet every time I have read it I've still found myself not seeing what was so good about this. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I can't quite make up my mind whether I really liked this book or not. As a character I didn't find Holden Caulfield particularly sympathetic or likeable. I felt sorry for him.

There's certainly plenty of material here for discussion and its too late at night to begin any of that. Perhaps another time. ( )
  TerryLewis | Jun 12, 2017 |
'Catcher in the Rye' was one definitely had the most dragged-out plot out of every book I have ever read. It had unlikeable characters, a repetitive plot and was downright boring. I don't understand how or why it is considered a classic. In most books you generally connect with the main character and can sometimes see yourself as them. This was NOT true for 'Catcher in the Rye". Everything Holden said or did made me angry to the point where I didn't care what happened to the main character. As a result, the book became less interesting to me and I ended up dreading picking up the book every night. Although not every book needs an underlying message, I feel as though 'Catcher in the Rye' taught me nothing. ( )
  cynthiap55 | Jun 6, 2017 |
“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move.... Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
The hero-narrator of The Catcher in the Rye is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices-but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle it to keep.

J.D. Salinger's classic novel of teenage angst and rebellion was first published in 1951. The novel was included on Time's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels written since 1923. It was named by Modern Library and its readers as one of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. It has been frequently challenged in the court for its liberal use of profanity and portrayal of sexuality and in the 1950's and 60's it was the novel that every teenage boy wants to read.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,237,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible