The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 1969)

by J.D. Salinger

49,40077510 (3.84)3 / 866
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J.D. Salinger
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1969), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:nyc, new york, manhattan, teenage, high school, nightlife, angst, coming of age, youth

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Graphirus)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (rosylibrarian)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Sylak, SqueakyChu)
    Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney (InvisiblerMan)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Drijntje)
    Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler (UrliMancati)
    UrliMancati: It has been said that Barney is Holden at the end of his life. While the twos do not have so much in common, the reader will definitively love both characters.
    Collected Stories of John O'Hara: Selected and With an Introduction by Frank MacShane by John O'Hara (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (hippietrail)
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell (krizia_lazaro)
    Indignation by Philip Roth (sushidog)
    sushidog: Early 50s boys growing up.
    King Dork by Frank Portman (Brian242)
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (Emydidae)
    The Clown by Heinrich Böll (DefinitelyUnlikely)
    Fruit by Brian Francis (ShelfMonkey)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Cool Hand Luke: A Novel by Donn Pearce (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Old School by Tobias Wolff (Tuccis1)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (HatsForMice)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)

1950s (6)
Read (33)
Unread books (1,041)

English (722)  Spanish (14)  French (11)  Italian (8)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (774)
one of my favorite books. I love Holden's personability and candor with the reader. ( )
  PhilKSwift | Nov 12, 2015 |
I could not finish this novel. I tried, especially since I've consistently heard about it since high school, but after reading struggling through over 100 pages, I couldn't get myself to read the second half. It's heralded as this great "coming of age" novel, yet all I read was the unreliable ramblings of a teenage boy during his last night at school and throughout New York before heading home. This book was definitely not for me. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Holden is a thin, less bitter, better-adjusted Ignatius Reilly. Both hate hypocrites, both are relatively pure in their own ways, both are egotistical, both are, or think they are, at odds with modern culture, especially as manifested in popular entertainment, even as both are fascinated by it and are captured by their own entertainment-influenced imaginations. Both are, despite thier flaws, likeable, though not necessarily agreeable, and sympathetic. But enough of that. Holden's angst isn't teen angst, unless you make the assumption that concerns of integrity, intimacy, and conformity are or should be thrown off upon reaching adulthood, but just the neuroticism of the highly sensitive and intelligent. Maybe. I'm too much of a crumbbum to know much of anything. The themes in the novel are handled better, I think, by other writers, and the prose is (necessarily) ugly, but it's an excellent book. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is an overrated high school reading "classic" that gets far more credit than it deserves. While the novel is very well written to create the mindset of an adolescent - and for that alone may be worth reading - the themes this perspective leads to are what make the book rather weak. The issues the character deals with are either unimportant, uninteresting, or just plain absurd. Although in some ways, that may well be the point of the story, it doesn't make it any more interesting to read.

I found myself frequently bored and the only emotion drawn from me was frustration at Holden's frequent stupidity. He doesn't develop much as a character and other than telling you how much he hates everything, he doesn't react to his circumstances in a reasonable manner. Most of the book can be likened to listening to a high school kid complain about his "important" issues and it left me rolling my eyes or drifting off to more interesting topics through much of the story. ( )
  brikis98 | Nov 11, 2015 |
In the course of 277 pages, the reader wearies of [his] explicitness, repetition and adolesence, exactly as one would weary of Holden himself. And this reader at least suffered from an irritated feeling that Holden was not quite so sensitive and perceptive as he, and his creator, thought he was. In any case he is so completely self-centered that the other characters who wander through the book—with the notable exception of his sister Phoebe—have nothing like his authenticity. ... In a writer of Salinger's undeniable talent, one expects something more.
added by danielx | editNew Republic, Hillary Kelly (Jan 23, 2015)
“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”
"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)
Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.
This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
AR Level 4.7, 11 pts.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430, 0241950465

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible