The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger

52,2568488 (3.83)3 / 938
Member:natazouf
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:roman

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

1950s (7)
Read (34)
Read (2)

English (794)  Spanish (16)  French (10)  Italian (8)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Croatian (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Icelandic (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (848)
i have two copies of this book, one is book-sized and the other is small-book-sized
  ornithopolis | Mar 19, 2017 |
My daughter read this book in her 10th grade English class and thought Holden Caulfield was "annoying." I hadn't read it since my 10th grade English class and only vaguely remember a scene with a prostitute and that I wrote a paper about the use of "f**k you" in the book.

After she was done with the book, (my husband's high school copy -- more than 40 years old!!) I reread it. Hmmm. I did find it "annoying" at times, but no more so than listening to any teenager rambling on about his views on the people and the world around him. His thoughts are at times random, not thought through and often quite haphazard. At times if felt like it could have been shorter (it's a fairly short book as it is), maybe a novella or long short story.

The reader listens to Caulfield as he wanders around NYC for 4 days after getting kicked out of yet another school. It becomes clear that he is having a nervous breakdown.

While the book is well-written, I can see why this would not have the same appeal to teenage girls. I see why I had no desire to reread it in 40 years, and I can't say I'll ever read it again. ( )
1 vote Marse | Mar 15, 2017 |
This is one of those books people rate differently depending how old they are. I'll leave the rating from the first time I had read it and, obviously, loved it. ( )
  Aneris | Feb 15, 2017 |
I read this book for the first time in eighth grade because I heard so much about it and when I read it, I found I liked it a lot. I have since read it twice. In defence of the main character, Holden, I have to say it's not his fault he's the way he is. He's a victim of circumstance. He lost his younger brother, he's most likely a victim of sexual abuse when he was younger, hence his obsession with being the catcher in the rye and the ducks in the pond, and he winds up in a mental hospital by the end of the story. Poor kid. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
I wish I could give this book no stars but I couldn't so instead I gave it the least possible. This directly relates to how i felt about this book. I hated it, absolute rubbish. I hated the character of Holden, and his pessimistic attitude to everything and everyone. He is so detached from any sort of reality and odious that I could not have cared less what happened to him. I believe that the book was trying to make some form of comment about the social alienation of teenage years - either that or trying to make a justification for selfishness. Holden Caulfield is a complainer. He complains about the phonies that surround him. He complains about his perfectly nice private school. He complains about the fencing team ostracizing him when he loses the foils. He complains about his roommates. . If i wanted to hear this much complaining i would talk to my brother, he complains enough for everyone. If you have a problem with phonies, stop being one, because you are the biggest phony i know. If you don't like your school, leave, and not in the way you eventually did. If you don't want to be ostracized by the fencing team, dont lose the foils. If you don't like your roommates, get a room change. There is nothing enjoyable about this book and I dont recommend for any other reason then to see a prime example of a person you don't want to be like. ( )
  Biglee821 | Jan 20, 2017 |
“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

In the course of 277 pages, the reader wearies of [his] explicitness, repetition and adolesence, exactly as one would weary of Holden himself. And this reader at least suffered from an irritated feeling that Holden was not quite so sensitive and perceptive as he, and his creator, thought he was. In any case he is so completely self-centered that the other characters who wander through the book—with the notable exception of his sister Phoebe—have nothing like his authenticity. ... In a writer of Salinger's undeniable talent, one expects something more.

This is one of the most controversial books I've ever read... so much so that Im not even sure whether to tell you if it was good or not. The main character Holden is a immature and troubled teenager who's arrogant narrations can be a bit disturbing. I won't spoil the book, but i will tell you the plot is an extreme bore that doesn't go anywhere. The admirable attribute to this book is the meaning and arguments it subtly puts forth about adolescent themes. While this book is historical and very well done, if not analyzed closely it seems like an utterly putrid piece of work. I did not, but to anyone who is considering reading the book I would definitely recommend they read it twice just so they can pick up on all the important aspects of the book and not finish the book after reading it once and feel bummed and a bit agitated.

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
The hero-narrator of The Catcher in the Rye is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices-but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle it to keep.

J.D. Salinger's classic novel of teenage angst and rebellion was first published in 1951. The novel was included on Time's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels written since 1923. It was named by Modern Library and its readers as one of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. It has been frequently challenged in the court for its liberal use of profanity and portrayal of sexuality and in the 1950's and 60's it was the novel that every teenage boy wants to read.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible