The Catcher in The Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Catcher in The Rye (original 1951; edition 1997)

by J. D. Salinger

48,60575112 (3.85)3 / 852
Member:taikano
Title:The Catcher in The Rye
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Little, Brown & Co (1997), Taschenbuch
Rating:*
Tags:school

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Graphirus)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (rosylibrarian)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Sylak, SqueakyChu)
    Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney (InvisiblerMan)
    Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler (UrliMancati)
    UrliMancati: It has been said that Barney is Holden at the end of his life. While the twos do not have so much in common, the reader will definitively love both characters.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Drijntje)
    Collected Stories of John O'Hara: Selected and With an Introduction by Frank MacShane by John O'Hara (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Indignation by Philip Roth (sushidog)
    sushidog: Early 50s boys growing up.
    King Dork by Frank Portman (Brian242)
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (hippietrail)
    Fruit by Brian Francis (ShelfMonkey)
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell (krizia_lazaro)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    I Never Liked You: The New Definitive Edition by Chester Brown (TomWaitsTables)
    Cool Hand Luke: A Novel by Donn Pearce (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (HatsForMice)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Notes from Underground by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch Dostoïevski (unlucky)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (_Zoe_)

1950s (5)
Read (33)
Unread books (1,089)

English (700)  Spanish (14)  Italian (9)  French (9)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (750)
A superb book about a boy going off the rails after the death of his brother. The real beauty of it lies in the quality of the writing. Holden reveals more to us through what he says than he sees himself. ( )
  Lukerik | May 15, 2015 |
This book wasn't for me. I didn't relate too well to it, maybe if I read it when I was younger I would of but I doubt it. I get not knowing what to do with your life or even at the moment, but not to this extent in The Catcher in the Rye. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
For all the hype, I found this book to be excruciatingly boring. The book details a few days in the life of Holden Caulfield, a high school student who has lost his way and doesn't know what he wants from life. Overall if you recorded every boring thought and opinion and action of a teenager, this is the result. No one needs to know all that. You can give props to Salinger for his artistry in recreating the uninterested, uninteresting, disaffected teen's thought patterns, but as a story... it's not. ( )
  Hae-Yu | May 7, 2015 |
I can honestly say this novel was one of the best books I've ever read. One of the main reasons I have to say, I enjoyed this book so greatly was how applicable it was, despite being written over 60 years ago. What I have noticed throughout literature, is one of the main reasons certain books tend to lose popularity over time is because they only apply to that time period, and when that time period moves forward, the books are left in the past. That being said, Catcher in the Rye does the exact opposite, by focusing the novel around themes, such as adolescence and innocence -- rather than major historical events/themes. Another reason I chose to give this novel a 5/5 is the POV. As we all know, POV plays a major part and how a story is told, and since this novel is told from such an opinionated, unordinary POV is most likely why this book is still so popular. Altogether, Catcher in the Rye is a rollercoaster of emotions/paradoxes from start to finish and I would recommend the book to most all high schoolers, as well as adults who want to recollect being torn between wanting the luxuries of an adult, while having the responsibility of a child. ( )
1 vote RavynG | Apr 28, 2015 |
Two days in the life of a youngster where Holden still is in school then quits school and finallly travels back to his hometown, but not to his parents house. Retrospection, reflections, observations, conversations, emotions and actions at railway stations, in taxis, in hotels and museums describes a young man in agony and pain. His troubles in getting in true contact with himself is the driver of the book. The puking and hating is the outside language that illustrates what he can't grip. The death of his younger brother seems to have given him a severe blow and the rescue lies in the love of his little sister who seems to brings him back to real life.
  lestrond | Apr 25, 2015 |
In the course of 277 pages, the reader wearies of [his] explicitness, repetition and adolesence, exactly as one would weary of Holden himself. And this reader at least suffered from an irritated feeling that Holden was not quite so sensitive and perceptive as he, and his creator, thought he was. In any case he is so completely self-centered that the other characters who wander through the book—with the notable exception of his sister Phoebe—have nothing like his authenticity. ... In a writer of Salinger's undeniable talent, one expects something more.
added by danielx | editNew Republic, Hillary Kelly (Jan 23, 2015)

“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:26 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,341,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible