The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 1991)

by J.D. Salinger

47,05071212 (3.86)3 / 809
Member:ccookie
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J.D. Salinger
Info:Little, Brown and Company (1991), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Calibre, Kindle, 1001 Books to Read Before You Die, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

1950s (14)
    The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (InfectiousOptimist)
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Graphirus)
  3. 1910
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (RosyLibrarian)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Sylak, SqueakyChu)
    Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney (InvisiblerMan)
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler (UrliMancati)
    UrliMancati: It has been said that Barney is Holden at the end of his life. While the twos do not have so much in common, the reader will definitively love both characters.
    Collected Stories of John O'Hara: Selected and With an Introduction by Frank MacShane by John O'Hara (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    King Dork by Frank Portman (Brian242)
    Cool Hand Luke: A Novel by Donn Pearce (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Fruit by Brian Francis (ShelfMonkey)
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell (krizia_lazaro)
    Indignation by Philip Roth (sushidog)
    sushidog: Early 50s boys growing up.
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (hippietrail)
    Twelve by Nick McDonell (rfb)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (HatsForMice)
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy (cafepithecus)
    I Never Liked You: The New Definitive Edition by Chester Brown (one-horse.library)
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (unlucky)

English (660)  Spanish (14)  Italian (9)  French (9)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Icelandic (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (710)
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
What has not been said about Holden Caulfield? A seminal work of fiction that exposes the reality of a troubled teen. Even though I have read it numerous times, it is still interesting (although I don't rate it as highly as others). ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
This truly is a book that EVERYONE should read. I am INSTANTLY pissed at all of my teachers for not introducing me to this book when I was in school.

I have heard about this book for some time, but didn't think about reading it until I saw it on the 1001 Books everyone must read list.

I became more interested when I found out the main character's name is Holden Caulfield, and saw there was a relation to a Green Day song. (Yes, these are my priorities.)

I was so impressed by this book. It is the story of Holden, who, after the death of his brother Allie, stops caring about anything else--except his little sister Phoebe. He appears to be afflicted with bipolar disorder--ranging from manic episodes of high activity and excitement, to low lows of depression so deep he develops physical symptoms.

Although I've never lost a simbling, I can surely relate to some of his feelings. Perhaps that is the appeal.

But if you, like me, made it out of school without reading this book, do so now! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Si de verdad les interesa lo que voy a contarles, lo primero que querrán saber es de que trata el libro, como fue todo ese rollo de los personajes, que tal es la escritura y demás puñetas, pero no tengo ganas de contarles nada de eso.

Uno de los libros más aburridos que he leído en mi vida.

Asi que si deciden leerlo...
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Östergren, KlasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fernández Rodríguez, Xosé RamónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:26 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible