The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger

46,372None12 (3.86)3 / 791
Member:Lucamilion
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J. D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

1001 (132) 20th century (442) adolescence (386) America (155) American (574) American fiction (129) American literature (779) angst (174) bildungsroman (170) classic (1,504) Classic Literature (131) classics (971) coming of age (829) fiction (4,510) high school (157) J.D. Salinger (119) literature (757) New York (371) New York City (198) novel (773) own (212) read (748) Salinger (170) school (139) teenagers (132) to-read (212) USA (218) YA (117) young adult (238) youth (121)
1950s (5)
    The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (InfectiousOptimist)
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (Graphirus)
  3. 1910
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (RosyLibrarian)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Sylak, SqueakyChu)
    Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney (InvisiblerMan)
    Collected Stories of John O'Hara: Selected and With an Introduction by Frank MacShane by John O'Hara (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler (UrliMancati)
    UrliMancati: It has been said that Barney is Holden at the end of his life. While the twos do not have so much in common, the reader will definitively love both characters.
    King Dork by Frank Portman (Brian242)
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell (krizia_lazaro)
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (hippietrail)
    Cool Hand Luke: A Novel by Donn Pearce (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Fruit by Brian Francis (ShelfMonkey)
    Indignation by Philip Roth (sushidog)
    sushidog: Early 50s boys growing up.
    Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Books with Delusional/Enlightened Outcast protagonists
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (HatsForMice)
    I Never Liked You: The New Definitive Edition by Chester Brown (one-horse.library)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (_Zoe_)
    The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy (cafepithecus)
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (unlucky)

English (654)  Spanish (14)  Italian (9)  French (8)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Icelandic (1)  Portuguese (1)  Croatian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (702)
Well, I finished it today, & I have to say it wasn't exactly my favorite of Salinger's works. It's supposed to be one of the great classics, but for the life of me I have no idea why.

This book covers the period of time between when Holden Caulfield, a rich, spoiled, sullen, BRAT of a teenager gets himself kicked out of his THIRD prep school, & the time he decides to go home a few days later. His language is filthy, it's GD this, GD that, which is completely unnecessary for the dialogue, even for me & I'm not a Christian.

Holden has all of these misadventures along the way, & he's so scatterbrained he repeats himself constantly, so I think besides being crazy, he's ADD/ADHD in the worst way too, with a touch of OCD thrown in for good measure. ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 13, 2014 |
After reading Franny and Zooey, I looked forward to reading The Catcher in the Rye. It was beautifully written, but I didn't love it as much as I expected. It's really a great coming of age story, but I kept waiting for something more. ( )
  BreanneG | Mar 24, 2014 |
This book was a really great read. Great narration, great characters, great writing. I really enjoyed it. It doesn't quite reach a five star rating, but it was pretty close.

I enjoyed it a lot and would recommend it.

Full review at http://www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Good but nothing special. A little one-note in places, where Salinger seems content to keep reiterating Holden's hypocritical personality. I probably would have liked it more in highschool.

Overall, my least favourite of Salinger's books. ( )
  blanderson | Mar 4, 2014 |
I really loved the beginning and the ending of this book. I found that these 40 pages were great. BUT, all of the 170 pages is between were pure rambling. They were okay, I didn't feel like dying like I felt while reading other classics, but half of it wasn't necessary.
The writing is somewhat smooth, but very repetitive, and even annoying at times. He repeats the same sentences or ideas twice, everything and everyone are 'old' , like 'dear old Phoebe' , she's a kid, but everything is 'old' something, or 'dear old' something. It gets annoying. Maybe it's an accent, or a way of talking in some U.S. state, I don't care, it is VERY annoying. And all of the repetitions, they weakened the content, he overdone it.
I give him credit for developing Holden's character. I feel like I really know him. So that was great of Salinger. Some things that he spoke of are very real, and needed to be stated, like how teachers can be manipulative and abusive when the student is very cerebral (intelligent, gifted, intellectual), and about how hard it is to accept phonies when you know better. The ending was great, as I said above, it was a satisfying ending.
Now, this is another overrated American classic. It's good, but not great. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, frankly, and I wouldn't read another Salinger book. It had some real good quotes, nonetheless.
That being said, I am glad I've read it. There were times where I couldn't put it down. It is one of these books that I've wanted to read for so long, and now I got it out of my system, and am done with it, time to discover another classic author, maybe Hemingway.

pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Östergren, KlasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fernández Rodríguez, Xosé RamónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move....Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:26 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible