All Creatures Great and Small by James…

All Creatures Great and Small (1972)

by James Herriot

Series: All Creatures Great and Small - US (1)

Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout (infiniteletters, bookel)
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar nostalgic feel for a community and an era.
    An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (cbl_tn)
    Vet on the Loose by Gillian Hick (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: Witty memoir by a young Irish veterinarian.
    Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books display a love and respect for animals, a lovely British humor and are relaxing humorous reads.
    All My Patients are Under the Bed by Louis J. Camuti (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Great War era British country vet, meet Great War era American city vet. I'm sure you'll be the greatest of friends!
    An Apple A Day by Cornelius Slater (JimMcJim)
    Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin (MyriadBooks)
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (PaperbackPirate)
    An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: An Irish Country Village is about village GPs in Ireland, All Creatures Great and Small is about rural veterinarians in Yorkshire. The Irish Country series is decades later than the James Herriot series. Both are charming and generous and filled with descriptions of beautiful countryside and eccentric human and animal characters.… (more)

English (71)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (74)
Havin read this book years ago, I was delighted to find that it pleasured me all over again when I read it for bookclub.

It's a great book to have in electronic format if you're traveling. Each story is short, entertaining, heart-warming, poignant. Our guy doesn't always win the battle of the day, but he always rejoices in having had the day to live. ( )
  Jeannine504 | Jan 23, 2016 |
If you love animals this book is for you. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, as by the cover and description it had never really appealed to me. I started it when there was nothing else to read, and enjoyed it immensely. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
After qualifying as a veterinarian, James Herriot started working in rural England in the early 20th Century. This book consists of his memories of various incidents from his career. The farmers in the region have a very distinct personality, and his boss, Siegfried, is quite a character. Since most chapters describe a single event with no logical transition in between, the book reads more like a series of vignettes than anything else. It is charming, witty, nostalgic, and I couldn’t recommend it more highly. This is the second time I’ve read it, and I loved it just as much this time as I did the first. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
This books follows the first few years of the authors veterinary practice in rural yorkshire in the 1930's. The book is mainly set up as a series of short stories about the vetrinary practice, many quite funny. I really liked this book but the reason it didn't get five stars is because parts of the book seem disjointed and like they didn't fit in real well with the overall story. i still want to read more by James Herriot. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, Amparosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvenpää, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eddie Straiton with gratitude and affection and Donald and Brian Sinclair, still my friends.
They didn't say anything about this in the books, I thought, as the snow blew in through the gaping doorway and settled on my naked back.
ISBN 0553122509 is All Creatures Great and Small.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312965788, Mass Market Paperback)

Take an unforgettable journey through the English countryside and into the homes of its inhabitants-- four-legged and otherwise-- with the world's best-loved animal doctor.

For over 25 years-- since All Creatures Great and Small was first published-- readers have delighted to the storytelling genius of James Herriot, the Yorkshire veterinarian whose fascinating vignettes brim with the wonder of life, animal and human.

Whether struggling mightily to position a calf for birthing, or comforting a lonely old man whose beloved dog and only companion has died, Herriot's heartwarming and often hilarious stories of his first years as a country vet perfectly depict the wonderful relationship between man and animal-- and they intimately portray a man whose humor, compassion , and love of life are truly inspiring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

An English veterinarian reminisces about his life, career, and animal patients in a small village.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,176,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible