All Creatures Great and Small by James…

All Creatures Great and Small (1972)

by James Herriot

Series: All Creatures Great and Small - US (1)

20th century (35) animal (23) animal stories (37) animals (477) autobiography (155) biography (192) British (69) classic (27) classics (23) England (185) fiction (218) Herriot (28) humor (117) James Herriot (47) literature (32) memoir (300) non-fiction (324) own (23) paperback (24) read (57) series (33) short stories (23) to-read (41) vet (34) veterinarian (98) veterinarians (77) veterinary (47) veterinary medicine (27) vets (25) Yorkshire (106)
    Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout (infiniteletters, bookel)
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (cbl_tn)
    Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books display a love and respect for animals, a lovely British humor and are relaxing humorous reads.
    Vet on the Loose by Gillian Hick (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: Witty memoir by a young Irish veterinarian.
    Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin (MyriadBooks)
    All My Patients are Under the Bed by Louis J. Camuti (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Great War era British country vet, meet Great War era American city vet. I'm sure you'll be the greatest of friends!
    An Apple A Day by Cornelius Slater (JimMcJim)
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (PaperbackPirate)
    An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: An Irish Country Village is about village GPs in Ireland, All Creatures Great and Small is about rural veterinarians in Yorkshire. The Irish Country series is decades later than the James Herriot series. Both are charming and generous and filled with descriptions of beautiful countryside and eccentric human and animal characters.… (more)

English (62)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (64)
This is one of the first books I’ve read and really thought, here is a non-fiction book for someone who doesn’t read non-fiction. The author, James Herriot, shares tales of his life, with all its’ adventures and mishaps, as a country vet in North Yorkshire, the largest county in England. Like Dewey, this book reminded me very much of the At Home in Mitford series. It’s pleasant. It’s about the mundane, but often wonderful events in someone’s life. It’s a glimpse into a simpler, less busy life than most of us live today. And it’s very much like a particularly articulate and funny friend is telling you stories about their life. So you don’t have to rely on my comparison to the Mitford series, here are two quotes I particularly liked and which give you a good feel for the story:

Read more here... ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
This was the first book I read which impacted who I thought I wanted to be when I grew up. I loved this book. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me into a life-long reader. This book made me love literature.

All I can say is THANK YOU James Herriot! ( )
  weisser4 | Jun 3, 2014 |
Disclaimer: I review books on how they stand alone without regards to anyone’s personal views about the author. I review based upon readability and how the book affects my life for good, and less upon literary style.

I recommend this for older teens and up because of the language, and the reference to alcohol use.
However, I love this book, it is very humorous and shows just how intelligent animals really are, and how they have unique personalities. I enjoy the humorous illustration of how Siegfried contradicts himself, but nevertheless, very hands off the way he treats James to let him find his way. I think it is a good example of how a manager can be very effective by giving help when needed, and even advice, but otherwise giving employees lots of room to discover their niche themselves. I also enjoy the way the book shows the benefit of a simple life... which is a great example to us all... to simplify and focus on what is really important, namely family and taking care of what we are responsible for. I enjoy the attitude that James' father-in law views his late wife and how fondly he speaks about her, and has the same views about his daughter, Helen. ( )
  wadehuntpc | Mar 8, 2014 |
I have loved this series since I was a teen. These books are at once hilarious, heart-warming, and inspirational. ( )
  silva_44 | Feb 2, 2014 |
Loved this book. It's been many many years since I've read it and am glad I am rereading the series. Hysterical and touching. I plan on rereading the entire series. ( )
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Järvenpää, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eddie Straiton with gratitude and affection and Donald and Brian Sinclair, still my friends.
They didn't say anything about this in the books, I thought, as the snow blew in through the gaping doorway and settled on my naked back.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312965788, Mass Market Paperback)

Take an unforgettable journey through the English countryside and into the homes of its inhabitants-- four-legged and otherwise-- with the world's best-loved animal doctor.

For over 25 years-- since All Creatures Great and Small was first published-- readers have delighted to the storytelling genius of James Herriot, the Yorkshire veterinarian whose fascinating vignettes brim with the wonder of life, animal and human.

Whether struggling mightily to position a calf for birthing, or comforting a lonely old man whose beloved dog and only companion has died, Herriot's heartwarming and often hilarious stories of his first years as a country vet perfectly depict the wonderful relationship between man and animal-- and they intimately portray a man whose humor, compassion , and love of life are truly inspiring.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:51 -0400)

An English veterinarian reminisces about his life, career, and animal patients in a small village.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,224,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible