All Creatures Great and Small by James…

All Creatures Great and Small (original 1972; edition 2004)

by James Herriot

Title:All Creatures Great and Small
Authors:James Herriot
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:nonfiction, memoir

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (1972)

Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout (infiniteletters, bookel)
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar nostalgic feel for a community and an era.
    An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (cbl_tn)
    Vet on the Loose by Gillian Hick (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: Witty memoir by a young Irish veterinarian.
    Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books display a love and respect for animals, a lovely British humor and are relaxing humorous reads.
    All My Patients are Under the Bed by Louis J. Camuti (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Great War era British country vet, meet Great War era American city vet. I'm sure you'll be the greatest of friends!
    An Apple A Day by Cornelius Slater (JimMcJim)
    Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin (MyriadBooks)
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (PaperbackPirate)
    An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: An Irish Country Village is about village GPs in Ireland, All Creatures Great and Small is about rural veterinarians in Yorkshire. The Irish Country series is decades later than the James Herriot series. Both are charming and generous and filled with descriptions of beautiful countryside and eccentric human and animal characters.… (more)

English (66)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (69)
James Herriot was a veterinarian in England, beginning in the late 1930s. This is a memoir of his first couple of years as a vet, working in a rural area as an assistant to a country vet.

I really enjoyed this. Not only does Herriot describe the animals he treated, he met and married his wife during this time and reading about their courtship was enjoyable, as well. He also describes the vet he worked for (I think he would have driven me nuts!) and that vet's brother who also worked with them. There were plenty of nice descriptions of the countryside, and you can see how much Herriot loved it there. I understand there are more books that he has written on the topic, so I do plan to continue reading them. ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 28, 2015 |
I had read the second omnibus of his writings, which brought me to this, the first. Gentle, engaging stories drawn from his veterinary practice, in these his beginnings as understudy to his mercurial mentor. ( )
  JamesMScott | Sep 6, 2015 |
Read this as a young teen and immediately sought the rest of the series. Of course it was intense, but I'm impressed now, thinking back, how much of the humor I got. I mean, it really was about the first adult book I'd read. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I already know this will be one of my favorite books of 2015. I had read James Herriot's Treasury for Children with the girls, and it was -- and is -- a beloved collection of stories, but I had never read any of his other books. Oh, but I was missing a lot! These stories of his early career as a country vet in the Yorkshire Dales in the 1930s are all gems. Mr. Herriot has a marvelous sense of humor, a self-deprecating wit, a genuine love for his patients and their owners, and a profound gift for storytelling. I laughed throughout, and cried frequently. These are not memoirs, strictly speaking, but rather stories based on his experiences as a veterinary surgeon's assistant. He just writes beautifully, and Mr. Timothy's narration (Christopher Timothy played James Herriot in the television series) was perfection: warm and emotional. The book begins as Mr. Herriot is deeply grateful for an interview -- prospects for newly certified vets being bleak. Raised in Scotland, and imagining an urban practice caring for pets, the rural and wild Yorkshire Dales with their fiercely independent farmers was something of a shock to him, but he quickly comes to love the area, its people, and its animals, and that love comes through palpably. Mr. Herriot never left Yorkshire, and I hope to return soon myself with another of his books.
  AMQS | Feb 11, 2015 |
Simply delightful. Not sure what else I can say about it. Herriott's writing is simple and unadorned, but it fits the subject and setting so damn well. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, Amparosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvenpää, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eddie Straiton with gratitude and affection and Donald and Brian Sinclair, still my friends.
They didn't say anything about this in the books, I thought, as the snow blew in through the gaping doorway and settled on my naked back.
ISBN 0553122509 is All Creatures Great and Small.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312965788, Mass Market Paperback)

Take an unforgettable journey through the English countryside and into the homes of its inhabitants-- four-legged and otherwise-- with the world's best-loved animal doctor.

For over 25 years-- since All Creatures Great and Small was first published-- readers have delighted to the storytelling genius of James Herriot, the Yorkshire veterinarian whose fascinating vignettes brim with the wonder of life, animal and human.

Whether struggling mightily to position a calf for birthing, or comforting a lonely old man whose beloved dog and only companion has died, Herriot's heartwarming and often hilarious stories of his first years as a country vet perfectly depict the wonderful relationship between man and animal-- and they intimately portray a man whose humor, compassion , and love of life are truly inspiring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

An English veterinarian reminisces about his life, career, and animal patients in a small village.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,946,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible