All Creatures Great and Small by James…

All Creatures Great and Small (original 1972; edition 2004)

by James Herriot

Member:ktbarnes
Title:All Creatures Great and Small
Authors:James Herriot
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:nonfiction, memoir

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (1972)

Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout (infiniteletters, bookel)
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar nostalgic feel for a community and an era.
    An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (cbl_tn)
    The Shepherd's Life: Modern Dispatches from an Ancient Landscape by James Rebanks (AmourFou)
    Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books display a love and respect for animals, a lovely British humor and are relaxing humorous reads.
    Vet on the Loose by Gillian Hick (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: Witty memoir by a young Irish veterinarian.
    All My Patients are Under the Bed by Louis J. Camuti (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Great War era British country vet, meet Great War era American city vet. I'm sure you'll be the greatest of friends!
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (PaperbackPirate)
    An Apple a Day: Adventures of a Country Doctor by Cornelius Slater (JimMcJim)
    Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin (MyriadBooks)
    An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: An Irish Country Village is about village GPs in Ireland, All Creatures Great and Small is about rural veterinarians in Yorkshire. The Irish Country series is decades later than the James Herriot series. Both are charming and generous and filled with descriptions of beautiful countryside and eccentric human and animal characters.… (more)

English (80)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All (83)
Great look at the humor and challenges of rural veterinary practice in Britain a century ago. James Herriot is a master storyteller who keeps the reader's interest and emphasizes the blessing of common things. ( )
  djsparks | May 20, 2017 |
The book that shattered my (short-lived)childhood dream of becoming a veterinarian within the first 5 pages.
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
Dr. Herriot gives a very descriptive account of his early years, while practicing rural veterinary medicine in England. He lets you see how his customers and their animals affected him day to day. Was very enjoyable. Highly recommend it. ( )
  HuberK | Jan 8, 2017 |
Award winning and best-selling author James Herriot will transport you back in time to the beautiful Yorkshire Dales with heartwarming, funny and memorable tales of his time as a veterinarian.

Visit a vet in Yorkshire, England as he tells his animal stories in this nonfiction classic.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Dec 29, 2016 |
When I saw this book at the little free library, there was no doubt in my mind. I would enjoy reading it. I was right. The memoir tells of various incidents in the late 30s and early 40s, as an assistant veterinarian in the Yorkshire dales. Always interesting, sometimes humorous, sometimes touching. I don't know why I never happened to read any of his books before. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionscalculated
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, Amparosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvenpää, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eddie Straiton with gratitude and affection and Donald and Brian Sinclair, still my friends.
They didn't say anything about this in the books, I thought, as the snow blew in through the gaping doorway and settled on my naked back.
ISBN 0553122509 is All Creatures Great and Small.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312965788, Mass Market Paperback)

Take an unforgettable journey through the English countryside and into the homes of its inhabitants-- four-legged and otherwise-- with the world's best-loved animal doctor.

For over 25 years-- since All Creatures Great and Small was first published-- readers have delighted to the storytelling genius of James Herriot, the Yorkshire veterinarian whose fascinating vignettes brim with the wonder of life, animal and human.

Whether struggling mightily to position a calf for birthing, or comforting a lonely old man whose beloved dog and only companion has died, Herriot's heartwarming and often hilarious stories of his first years as a country vet perfectly depict the wonderful relationship between man and animal-- and they intimately portray a man whose humor, compassion , and love of life are truly inspiring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

An English veterinarian reminisces about his life, career, and animal patients in a small village.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,481,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible