All Creatures Great and Small by James…

All Creatures Great and Small (original 1972; edition 2004)

by James Herriot

Member:ktbarnes
Title:All Creatures Great and Small
Authors:James Herriot
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:nonfiction, memoir

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (1972)

Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout (infiniteletters, bookel)
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar nostalgic feel for a community and an era.
    An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (cbl_tn)
    Vet on the Loose by Gillian Hick (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: Witty memoir by a young Irish veterinarian.
    Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books display a love and respect for animals, a lovely British humor and are relaxing humorous reads.
    All My Patients are Under the Bed by Louis J. Camuti (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Great War era British country vet, meet Great War era American city vet. I'm sure you'll be the greatest of friends!
    An Apple A Day by Cornelius Slater (JimMcJim)
    Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin (MyriadBooks)
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (PaperbackPirate)
    An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: An Irish Country Village is about village GPs in Ireland, All Creatures Great and Small is about rural veterinarians in Yorkshire. The Irish Country series is decades later than the James Herriot series. Both are charming and generous and filled with descriptions of beautiful countryside and eccentric human and animal characters.… (more)

English (72)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (75)
All Creatures Great and Small is the memoir of a country veterinarian that includes many different kinds of stories, from ridiculous anecdotes to tear-jerking memories. The book begins as Herriot starts off on his own after veterinary school. He is desperate to find a job and is offered the position as an assistant to Dr. Siegfried Farnon in Darrowby. Little does Herriot know what his acceptance of this position will mean for the rest of his life. Happy to have a job, he launches headlong into his new career.

Herriot's first veterinary visit is a reminder that the life of a country vet is not the same as that of a city vet in a clean office. He will have to endure freezing temperatures, sleep deprivation, a lack of electricity, and stubborn clients as he treats his patients. His job will not be easy, but his love of the work will see him through even the most difficult situations.

As Herriot passes his first year in Darrowby, he learns about more than just the animals in the region. He gets to know the people well and learns about their peculiarities and customs, as a vet usually ends up treating the owners of his patients as often as he does their animals. Herriot becomes a shoulder to cry on, a sounding board, and in some cases, a punching bag for frustrations.

Herriot's first winter in the region passes, and he is amazed by how cold the Dales can be. Spring comes in May, and all is renewed with the joy of lambing and the fresh countryside.

From stories about pampered lapdogs to rugged farm animals, Herriot reveals the inner workings of a vet's life and the struggles veterinarians face every day. He learns more in his two years in the Dales than he did in veterinary school, and he puts this knowledge to use time and time again.

Throughout these stories, Herriot always keeps his cool, even when his patience is sorely tested, both by Dr. Farnon and the people of Yorkshire. Herriot's stories of his life as a country veterinarian have touched millions of people throughout the world.
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
Havin read this book years ago, I was delighted to find that it pleasured me all over again when I read it for bookclub.

It's a great book to have in electronic format if you're traveling. Each story is short, entertaining, heart-warming, poignant. Our guy doesn't always win the battle of the day, but he always rejoices in having had the day to live. ( )
  Jeannine504 | Jan 23, 2016 |
If you love animals this book is for you. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, as by the cover and description it had never really appealed to me. I started it when there was nothing else to read, and enjoyed it immensely. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
After qualifying as a veterinarian, James Herriot started working in rural England in the early 20th Century. This book consists of his memories of various incidents from his career. The farmers in the region have a very distinct personality, and his boss, Siegfried, is quite a character. Since most chapters describe a single event with no logical transition in between, the book reads more like a series of vignettes than anything else. It is charming, witty, nostalgic, and I couldn’t recommend it more highly. This is the second time I’ve read it, and I loved it just as much this time as I did the first. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, Amparosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvenpää, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eddie Straiton with gratitude and affection and Donald and Brian Sinclair, still my friends.
They didn't say anything about this in the books, I thought, as the snow blew in through the gaping doorway and settled on my naked back.
ISBN 0553122509 is All Creatures Great and Small.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312965788, Mass Market Paperback)

Take an unforgettable journey through the English countryside and into the homes of its inhabitants-- four-legged and otherwise-- with the world's best-loved animal doctor.

For over 25 years-- since All Creatures Great and Small was first published-- readers have delighted to the storytelling genius of James Herriot, the Yorkshire veterinarian whose fascinating vignettes brim with the wonder of life, animal and human.

Whether struggling mightily to position a calf for birthing, or comforting a lonely old man whose beloved dog and only companion has died, Herriot's heartwarming and often hilarious stories of his first years as a country vet perfectly depict the wonderful relationship between man and animal-- and they intimately portray a man whose humor, compassion , and love of life are truly inspiring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

An English veterinarian reminisces about his life, career, and animal patients in a small village.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,799,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible