Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld

So Yesterday (2004)

by Scott Westerfeld

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (souci)
    souci: Same idea of cool-hunting, all about surface, yet with appearances that are deceiving.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Explores consumerist culture
    Bellwether by Connie Willis (mzonderm)
    mzonderm: Both books are interesting commentaries on how fads get started.
    Z by Michael Thomas Ford (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: similar protagonists

Perfectly fluffy and fun - a mystery/adventure about teenage cool hunters in Manhattan. The narrator sounded a little too mature for the character, but I appreciate that he wasn't overdoing it to sound younger. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Like the fiction version of "Brandwashed". I wonder if the kids that read this realize that a lot of the story is true? I'd give it four stars except the occasional swear word bugged me and was unnecessarily distracting. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
Here's what I learned from listening to this book: I don't like Scott Brick's reading style.

That is all. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Not one of his best book but readable. ( )
  joem0601 | Mar 5, 2016 |

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Innovators. You know who you are.
We are all around you.
So Jen and I are still watching the Jammers, waiting for their next move. But don't try this at home. They're cashed up, dressed to move, and if they catch you messing with them, they will turn your head purple.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514000X, Hardcover)

Ever wonder who was the first kid to keep a wallet on a big chunky chain, or wear way-too-big pants on purpose? What about the mythical first guy who wore his baseball cap backwards? These are the Innovators, the people on the very cusp of cool. Seventeen-year-old Hunter Braque's job is finding them for the retail market. But when a big-money client disappears, Hunter must use all his cool-hunting talents to find her. Along the way he's drawn into a web of brand-name intrigue- a missing cargo of the coolest shoes he's ever seen, ads for products that don't exist, and a shadowy group dedicated to the downfall of consumerism as we know it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:06 -0400)

Hunter Braque, a New York City teenager who is paid by corporations to spot what is "cool," combines his analytical skills with girlfriend Jen's creative talents to find a missing person and thwart a conspiracy directed at the heart of consumer culture.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,468,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible