dismiss

So Yesterday

by Scott Westerfeld

Hunter Braque, a New York City teenager who is paid by corporations to spot what is "cool," combines his analytical skills with girlfriend Jen's creative talents to find a missing person and thwart a conspiracy directed at the heart of consumer culture.
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (souci)
    souci: Same idea of cool-hunting, all about surface, yet with appearances that are deceiving.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (kellyholmes)
    kellyholmes: Explores consumerist culture
    Bellwether by Connie Willis (mzonderm)
    mzonderm: Both books are interesting commentaries on how fads get started.
    Z by Michael Thomas Ford (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: similar protagonists

This was a quick read and I don't feel like I wasted that time, but it was ultimately very forgettable. On the upside, I think that Westerfeld is much better at writing male characters than female characters, so the male protagonist was a positive. I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I cared about being cool and conforming with current fashions (clothing and otherwise). In this sense, I think it's more suited to its intended YA audience than to my ageing self.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
A decent book; considering it was Westerfeld's first, you can see the roots of his amazing books to come.

The idea, like his others, is certainly original. Set in a society that's more parallel than futuristic compared with our own, the story centers on Hunter, who does exactly what his name implies. He works for mega-companies to find brand-new trends appearing in fashion and lifestyle, so they can be mass-marketed to the world.

But when Hunter teams up with Jen, an Innovater who creates trends instead of finding them, he's in for a world of craziness. There's a secret group on the loose, working against the "order" of consumerism; and Hunter and Jen are out to track them down.

The characters are enjoyable, and the world bears an uncanny resemblence to ours, or at least what it would look like if we let consumerism rule our social hierarchy utterly. Neither the characters, dialogue, nor idea are quite as deep or well-developed as Westerfeld's later books like Midnighters, Uglies, or even Peeps. Still, it was an okay, spare-time read. ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
Perfectly fluffy and fun - a mystery/adventure about teenage cool hunters in Manhattan. The narrator sounded a little too mature for the character, but I appreciate that he wasn't overdoing it to sound younger. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Like the fiction version of "Brandwashed". I wonder if the kids that read this realize that a lot of the story is true? I'd give it four stars except the occasional swear word bugged me and was unnecessarily distracting. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Innovators. You know who you are.
We are all around you.
So Jen and I are still watching the Jammers, waiting for their next move. But don't try this at home. They're cashed up, dressed to move, and if they catch you messing with them, they will turn your head purple.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,966,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible