The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall by Anne…

I was asking myself why I didn't read this when it was first published because I read everything McCaffrey wrote. Then I remembered that when this book was first issued I was back in school after almost 20 years absence and I wasn't reading anything non-school related. I did, in fact, come across one of these stories, The Dolphins' Bell, in a second-hand book store a few years ago but didn't realize it was part of a larger work. So, I'm pleased to fill in another part of the Pern story.

As the title indicates the book takes place during the time of the First Fall of thread although the first installment actually deals with the initial survey of the planet and the last takes place just after the first fall is finished. The Dolphins' Bell tells the story of the exodus from the South Continent when it was determined that Thread could not be defended there. The Ford of Red Hanrahan takes place some years later when Red Hanrahan moves from Fort Hold to a new location which he calls Ruatha. The Second Weyr takes place a little later when the original weyr at Fort becomes too crowded and it is decided to establish new weyrs. The final story, Rescue Run, takes place when an interstellar ship comes close to the Rukbat system and notices the flag that indicates a distress signal was received over 40 years earlier. The ship sends a small cruiser to investigate and they find 11 people who swear they are the only ones who survived.

As always, an enjoyable read. ( )
  gypsysmom | Oct 30, 2013 |
I really do like the Pern books, but this one was again (at least for the most part) rehashing the same story. It drives me a little nuts that she does that over and over and over. Thankfully the next book (currently reading) is a new part to the story. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
It was interesting to read stories from earlier Pern, but I didn't like many of the characters. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I liked this book of short stories of Pern, which fill in the details of events implied in the novels of the dragons of Pern. It's a good book for fans and those who have read some of the novels, especially the ones at the beginning of the Pernese time-line, but (though it could be read as a stand-alone book) a first-timer to the world of Pern would miss those references which make it a richer experience for people who have read other books. Though it is (necessarily) less dragon-centric than most of the novels, I liked the tone of the book, and (unusually, for me at least) found it well balanced for a short story collection, with all the stories being very satisfying. Usually in a collection, I find one or two stories I hate, one or two that are outstanding, and the others fall in the middle; but I liked all of these.

This is a good mix of short stories, both fantasy and sci-fi, covering the discovery and naming of Pern by a space survey ship; the Second Crossing, when colonists found the southern continent too dangerous to inhabit, and still had remnants of old-Earth technology to help them cross to the north; the stories of the founding of new holds and weyrs (you see what I mean when I say it helps to have some background knowledge), and a final story when a relative of one of the founding colonists visits from space.

Highly recommended, especially for fans of Pern.

humouress | Mar 17, 2012 |
Continuing on with my re-read of the beginning, this book is a collection of short stories that document the early days. This includes the original survey team, and the expansion of the dragonriders. ( )
  macjest | Mar 6, 2012 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weston, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is respectfully dedicated
to Jay A Katz
for many good reasons
"It's the third planet we want in this pernicious system," Castor said in a totally jaundiced tone, his eyes fixed on the viewscreen.

Its an anthology of short stories set mostly after Dragonsdawn it includes The Survey: P.E.R.N., The Dolphins' Bell, The Ford of Red Hanrahan, The Second Weyr, and Rescue Run.
--------------------------------------
Travel back to the earliest days of Pernese history in this first-ever Dragonriders of Pern short-story collection.

The Survey: P.E.R.N.
Join the original survey team as they explore Pern and decide to recommend it for colonization.

The Dolphin's Bell:
Share the terror of the evacuation from the Southern Continent as a flotilla of ships, aided by intelligent, talking dolphins, braves the dreadful currents of the Pernese ocean.

The Ford of Red Hanrahan:
Learn how the famous Ruatha Hold was founded, and thrill with the dragonriders as they expand into a second, then a third Weyr.

Rescue Run:
And discover a secret lost in time: the rescue of some of the original colonists before the planet was cut off forever!

Building a new life on a distant world, braving the dreaded Thread that falls like silver rain from the sky only to destroy every living thing it touches, flying heroically on the wondrous dragons: The Dragonriders of Pern!
    ----------------------------------

FIRE IN THE SKY!

As always when she fought Thread, Torene felt the excitement knot in her belly, felt the surge of adrenaline in her blood. Then the nearer wings went into action: flame sprouted read-orange, caught, and Thread burned into blackness.

A dragon screamed, and instantly Alaranth identified the beast: Siwith, P'ter's blue. Siwith's right wing had been shredded. Unable to sustain flight, he was managing  no more than a downward spiral.

As Torene laid herself flat against her queen's neck. Alaranth slipped up under the falling blue, matching his downward speed and then coming up under his smaller body, holding it along her spine. Torene could feel Siwith's hot, pungent breath on her back and hoped she wasn't going to lose another riding suit from socrcing

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345368991, Mass Market Paperback)

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:48 -0400)

Collection of short stories dealing with the early days of the colonization of Pern. Let the queen of dragons herself take you back to the earliest days of Pernese history as Anne McCaffrey brings to life events that shaped one of the most popular worlds in all of science fiction, in this first-ever Pern short-story collection.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,420,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible