The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall by Anne…

I ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
Origins of the planet name ( )
  jamespurcell | Apr 12, 2016 |
Some gaps filled nicely with this anthology. ( )
  jamespurcell | Apr 11, 2016 |
I was asking myself why I didn't read this when it was first published because I read everything McCaffrey wrote. Then I remembered that when this book was first issued I was back in school after almost 20 years absence and I wasn't reading anything non-school related. I did, in fact, come across one of these stories, The Dolphins' Bell, in a second-hand book store a few years ago but didn't realize it was part of a larger work. So, I'm pleased to fill in another part of the Pern story.

As the title indicates the book takes place during the time of the First Fall of thread although the first installment actually deals with the initial survey of the planet and the last takes place just after the first fall is finished. The Dolphins' Bell tells the story of the exodus from the South Continent when it was determined that Thread could not be defended there. The Ford of Red Hanrahan takes place some years later when Red Hanrahan moves from Fort Hold to a new location which he calls Ruatha. The Second Weyr takes place a little later when the original weyr at Fort becomes too crowded and it is decided to establish new weyrs. The final story, Rescue Run, takes place when an interstellar ship comes close to the Rukbat system and notices the flag that indicates a distress signal was received over 40 years earlier. The ship sends a small cruiser to investigate and they find 11 people who swear they are the only ones who survived.

As always, an enjoyable read. ( )
  gypsysmom | Oct 30, 2013 |
I really do like the Pern books, but this one was again (at least for the most part) rehashing the same story. It drives me a little nuts that she does that over and over and over. Thankfully the next book (currently reading) is a new part to the story. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weston, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is respectfully dedicated
to Jay A Katz
for many good reasons
"It's the third planet we want in this pernicious system," Castor said in a totally jaundiced tone, his eyes fixed on the viewscreen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345368991, Mass Market Paperback)

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:56 -0400)

Collection of short stories dealing with the early days of the colonization of Pern. Let the queen of dragons herself take you back to the earliest days of Pernese history as Anne McCaffrey brings to life events that shaped one of the most popular worlds in all of science fiction, in this first-ever Pern short-story collection.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,527,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible