Without Remorse by Tom Clancy

Without Remorse (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Tom Clancy

4,199291,190 (3.87)22
Member:InigoMontoya
Title:Without Remorse
Authors:Tom Clancy
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (1993), Paperback, 768 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Main, Fiction

Without Remorse by Tom Clancy (1993)

Recently added bypowertriangle, Ericnwest, private library, Forzajudetza, Tenb, Evansville, SigmundFraud

English (27)  Spanish (1)  All languages (28)
ok escapist fiction ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
This book was on my to-reread list for a long time. I had read it years ago,and wad impressed then. Not clearly rembering how the story went, and curious again I choose to read this book in my holidays.

Too many storylines to retell the whole book. What I liked a lot wat the natural flow of the story. There's Kelly, who lost his wife and finds a new love in Pamela, a girl who is adicted to drugs, seriously abused. Two doctors he meets out on the lake help him to cure her. He hears her story and is curious enough to take her with him into town to show where she was held and who was responsible for her condition. They are mad: Pam is taken and Kelly is shot and left for dead.
He survives, is taken care of by Sandy in the hospital. When he finds out what the people that held her did to her, he starts out on a crusade. In the meantime he trains for a rescue operation: several high officers that were pronounced dead are held in North Vietnam in a secret camp. One of the officers is being interrogated by a Russian KGB-man, they become 'friends'. The story of the development of that friendship is also part of the book, and is the basis for later decisions about the future of this KGB-official. What happens on that rescue operation is for you to read for yourself. But the result is, that traitors are uncovered and that deals are made between old enenmies.
Meanwhile Kelly still works on his own operation to take revenge on the people who killed Pam, and he's quite succesfull. Sandy is still part of his life and on a certain level also part of his crusade. The book ends when Kelly is trying to escape a coast guard boat that is chasing him and the description of him watching on TV that the lost officers from North Vietnam are reunited their families with his pregnant wife.

What I said, I liked the lines of the book. They are far apart in the beginning, you have no idea what this has to do with that and why things are happening. The emotions in the book are to me very close to real emotions, on which people base their decisions. It is not good that Kelly sets out on a crusade, but is so very understandable, maybe even justifyable. Why do people chose to tell secrets they hear at work to people that use them to work against the policies made? Very clearly explained for the persons in this book, what makes it understandable, but not something justifyable.

All in all I recommend this book to people who like espionage novels, that also give you something to think about. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
What a fantastic book. Having seen Hunt For Red October/Patriot Games/Sum of all Fears at the movies and finding them to be good movies I thought I'd try out the actual books. Hating to start in the middle of a series I decided if I'm going to read a Tom Clancy book I might as well start at the beginning and enjoy them all (assuming they're any good) and boy am I glad I did!

This book isn't what I expected - I thought it'ld be more action, shooting and explosions with little substance, but no there's a great deal of substance to this book and the writing style is easy to read yet very detailed and atmospheric. (There's action, shooting and explosions, but not mindlessly).

The story at a basic level is one of revenge, a man (John Kelly) who has previously lost his wife meets a young lady (Pam), it turns out Pam has been the victim of abuse, John Kelly falls in love with Pam and helping her recover and in doing so opens his heart for the first time since the death of his wife and is crushed when Pam is then murdered by her past abusers.

Enter John-the-serial-killer who seeks revenge on those who took his Pam from him. Amongst this there are a couple of other sub plots as well as the second main thrust of the story line which is John Kelly returning to Vietnam as well as being recruited by the CIA.

It really was quite the moving story and you couldn't help but sympathise with John Kelly even as he killed again and again. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Mar 30, 2013 |
Without Remorse is a action/thriller during the Vietnam War. The book is filled with twists and turns at every corner. You'll find yourself flying across oceans, on ships, underwater, or in the big city. It will keep your attention and you will not want to put it down.

The takes place in America and Vietnam. The book follows the life of John Clark, a Vietnam War veteran whose wife just died in a deadly automotive accident. He will meet new people from around the world and do things many people will never even consider doing. At the same time, a up-and-coming drug dealer is beginning to emerge from the shadows to stake their claim on the East Coast.

Clancy writes the book from multiple perspectives. This allows the different viewpoints on the same situation to allow you to see through both sides' perspectives. You will come to know the characters throughout the book and learn more about their life.

I started this book with no prior knowledge to how Tom Clancy writes. The detail of everything astonished me.Tom Clancy somehow finds to includes small military words, speech, and other things that make it such a realistic experience.While reading the story, you will be immersed in the world of covert operations, intelligence agencies, and underground drug dealers. Each one of these lives are brought out to full detail.

The story grabs you from the beginning and won't let you go until the end. There are many twists and turns throughout the book that will keep you guessing all the way to the end. The story makes you want to see each plot lead through. Every character is created with care and has their own personality. ( )
  Plyte | Aug 18, 2012 |
The most compelling of Clancy's work. ( )
  Hedgepeth | May 26, 2011 |
Beware the fury of a patient man -John Dryden
in loving memory of Kyle Haydock, July 5, 1983 - August 1, 1991
Camille had either been the world's most powerful hurricane or the largest tornado in history.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425143325, Mass Market Paperback)

This harrowing #1 bestseller is an unforgettable journey into the heart of darkness. Without mercy. Without guilt. Without remorse.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:47 -0400)

John Kelly befriends a young woman with a checkered past. When her past reaches out to her in a horrifying way, he vows revenge. But the Pentagon also has plans for John Kelly.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,623,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible